5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Preference?

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wouldn't that assume they did nothing else with the engine? sounds like they have been running 5W-20 since 2007, the engine has been refined over the years, makes sense it would run optimally on their recommended oil weight?

The 6.4L recommends 0W-40 but also comes with MDS.
Pretty much...
Makes me wonder why 0w-40 or even 0w-30 isn't recommended for the 5.7 Hemi, especially since the engine has been updated and refined. But I agree....I see older Hemis on the road from about the 2007-2010 era running just fine... I'm sure they've been using the same 5w30 from the beginning.

yankeefan31569

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i have a small gas station that has 2 service bays, i buy M1 and mopar filter and have them do it, $25 they charge me..no mess to clean up and its 4 blocks from my house..

I’m thinking of going with Mobil 1 synthetic and Mobil 1 filter. I’ll guess I have to ask the dealer how much they will charge me if I provide that oil and filter.

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i have a small gas station that has 2 service bays, i buy M1 and mopar filter and have them do it, $25 they charge me..no mess to clean up and its 4 blocks from my house..

I ended up going with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-20W and a Mobil 1 extended performance oil filter. Ram dealer charges me $15. No mess and close by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ended up going with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-20W and a Mobil 1 extended performance oil filter. Ram dealer charges me $15. No mess and close.

That's a good deal!
If it was a GM garage...they'd probably try charging you for the oil...even though you brought it lmao!

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's a good deal!
If it was a GM garage...they'd probably try charging you for the oil...even though you brought it lmao!

Haha. I don’t doubt it. I have 10 free oil changes. But unfortunately all the Ram dealers say they carry Pennzoil platinum and not Ultra platinum. I find it kind of strange since all SRT vehicles come filled with ultra platinum. Hmmm

47fee89bf72aa7f2f7b895fd081bd8f6.jpg

Last edited:

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Haha. I don’t doubt it. I have 10 free oil changes. But unfortunately all the Ram dealers say they carry Pennzoil platinum and not Ultra platinum. I find it kind of strange that all SRT vehicles come filled with ultra platinum. Hmmm

Aha! They admit it...it's all snake oil! "It's the venom in a Viper" hehe.
We were actually talking about that in another thread...the difference between the Platinum and Ultra Platinum really isn't much to warrant the price difference (per the chart on Pennzoils website). I think it stated the ultra was designed to handle extreme heat like when you have a turbo or supercharger. Hell...being in the Vegas heat maybe I should switch to it :ROFLMAO:

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Aha! They admit it...it's all snake oil! "It's the venom in a Viper" hehe.
We were actually talking about that in another thread...the difference between the Platinum and Ultra Platinum really isn't much to warrant the price difference (per the chart on Pennzoils website). I think it stated the ultra was designed to handle extreme heat like when you have a turbo or supercharger. Hell...being in the Vegas heat maybe I should switch to it :ROFLMAO:
I agree with the extreme heat from force induction. I don’t mind paying the difference so it’s ok with me. Only reason I choose it even though I don’t have any type of forced induction, is because I drive that baby like I stole it. My foot is always heavy. So high revs all day.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree with the extreme heat from force induction. I don’t mind paying the difference so it’s ok with me. Only reason I choose it even though I don’t have any type of forced induction, is because I drive that baby like I stole it. My foot is always heavy. So high revs all day.
Hehe totally understandable. Do you have the Etorque too? I have it and that's another reason to use a good synthetic...the auto engine stop/start function.

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hehe totally understandable. Do you have the Etorque too? I have it and that's another reason to use a good synthetic...the auto engine stop/start function.
I do not have the Etorque. Didn’t want the stop/start feature since I hear more bad things than good things about on the engine. The MDS is already one thing. Didn’t want to add more to it.

HoosierTrooper

Reaction score
Pretty much...
Makes me wonder why 0w-40 or even 0w-30 isn't recommended for the 5.7 Hemi, especially since the engine has been updated and refined. But I agree....I see older Hemis on the road from about the 2007-2010 era running just fine... I'm sure they've been using the same 5w30 from the beginning.
That's easy, FCA's testing showed 30 or 40 grade isn't needed by the 5.7L., just like their testing showed the SRT engine needs 0W-40 so that's what they recommend. I've used my Jeep Cherokee as an example, FCA's testing showed that the 2.0L turbo requires synthetic 5W-30 so that's what they recommend instead of XW-20 for that engine.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's easy, FCA's testing showed 30 or 40 grade isn't needed by the 5.7L., just like their testing showed the SRT engine needs 0W-40 so that's what they recommend. I've used my Jeep Cherokee as an example, FCA's testing showed that the 2.0L turbo requires synthetic 5W-30 so that's what they recommend instead of XW-20 for that engine.
That makes sense, I know my VW CC 2.0 turbo took the 0w40 for the flow ability and extreme heat from turbo.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I do not have the Etorque. Didn’t want the stop/start feature since I hear more bad things than good things about on the engine. The MDS is already one thing. Didn’t want to add more to it.
Yea no doubt. Guess I'm one of the guinea pigs for it lol

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Guys, can you tell us who knows the best oil for 5.7 hemi?
I can only say based on my experience I prefer Mobil 1 but I'll use Pennzoil Platinum if Mobil isn't available. Full Synthetic for sure (mainly due to the environment I live in)

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How much do you want to pay? Somewhat sarcastic and somewhat serious...

I prefer Amsoil.
OE is the same cost as any other off the shelf synthetic and is miles better.
XL if you do some towing too and good for a 12k mile or 1 year interval.
Better yet is Signature Series with a 25k mile normal duty or 1 year change interval.

Let me know if you need more reasons to order some and protect your Hemi with the best.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I'd recommend reading this thread from the beginning.
This is like asking what is the best NFL team, or the best MLB team. You're going to get a lot of answers, none of which are necessarily wrong.

I'm with jdefoe0424, I prefer Amsoil myself.
However, any good synthetic should work. Any good "regular" (not synthetic) oil should also work more than adequately if changed appropriately.

A good quality filter is also important. OEM is the minimum (Mopar), with the best being filters like the Fram Ultra. Stay away from the cheapo Fram filters and other cheapo filters; made with cardboard innards and collapse easily/semi-frequently.

Bobbybob

Reaction score
I have spent soooo many hours on Bob the Oil Guys site reading through threads and oil. Worth it if you have not and are int in oil. Realized that it’s more about just using a pretty good oil and actually changing it. So many miss that last part. I ended up using Schaeffer’s 5w-20 synth with Wix filters (air and oil). A bit pricey but what I have seen, read, and talked to about it, made my decision pretty clear.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd recommend reading this thread from the beginning.
This is like asking what is the best NFL team, or the best MLB team. You're going to get a lot of answers, none of which are necessarily wrong.

I'm with jdefoe0424, I prefer Amsoil myself.
However, any good synthetic should work. Any good "regular" (not synthetic) oil should also work more than adequately if changed appropriately.

A good quality filter is also important. OEM is the minimum (Mopar), with the best being filters like the Fram Ultra. Stay away from the cheapo Fram filters and other cheapo filters; made with cardboard innards and collapse easily/semi-frequently.
Good point. Although I will say that Frams Tough Guard and ultra Synthetic oil filters are pretty good and now on Amazon you can get them for about $7 each. Good deal. Plus I've been using Fram for almost 15 years without any issues.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How much do you want to pay? Somewhat sarcastic and somewhat serious...

I prefer Amsoil.
OE is the same cost as any other off the shelf synthetic and is miles better.
XL if you do some towing too and good for a 12k mile or 1 year interval.
Better yet is Signature Series with a 25k mile normal duty or 1 year change interval.

Let me know if you need more reasons to order some and protect your Hemi with the best.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
25k miles???? There goes your PowerTrain warranty if something happens to your engine.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Today
Haha. I don’t doubt it. I have 10 free oil changes. But unfortunately all the Ram dealers say they carry Pennzoil platinum and not Ultra platinum. I find it kind of strange since all SRT vehicles come filled with ultra platinum. Hmmm

Honestly doesn't surprise me since Ram is the 5.7 and not the SRT. The Ultra Platinum is only a little better at protecting against high heat anyway....not even worth the extra cost for the RAM, probably not worth the extra cost at All.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So the truth is for 99.9% of Ram owners any oil that meets the OE requirements will do the job...whether synthetic blend or full synthetic as long as you change it at the intervals required.

For those that have massive hard duty requirements or looking for 500K+ miles on the engine, the higher quality more expensive full synthetic oils might perform better.

It always makes one feel better to know you are putting something better in the engine or changing at more frequent intervals. Do whatever your wallet allows to sleep better at night.

Users who are viewing this thread