5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar’s “Ram Airflow” Cold-Air Intake System For Ram 1500:

Adrianp89

Reaction score
It's been a few years now and I don't want to read 1200 posts. What is the general consensus on this? Look cool/sound cool/open up some room? Any noticeable gains anywhere?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's been a few years now and I don't want to read 1200 posts. What is the general consensus on this? Look cool/sound cool/open up some room? Any noticeable gains anywhere?
Still too expensive, IMO, looks good, maybe a little different sound, but s good exhaust will be better if you want sound. I'd still take my Vararam over the Mopar one at half the price, and a more old school Mopar look, if looks are what you are going for. Especially at car shows where the classic car guys will appreciate the classic look over plastic covers.

It does open room on passenger side of engine bay.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
Still too expensive, IMO, looks good, maybe a little different sound, but s good exhaust will be better if you want sound. I'd still take my Vararam over the Mopar one at half the price, and a more old school Mopar look, if looks are what you are going for. Especially at car shows where the classic car guys will appreciate the classic look over plastic covers.

Re-confirmed my thoughts from years ago lol. If it somehow got much better MPGs I would be in. I like the quietness of my truck, and performance is saved for other cars.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
$1k for no power gains and a mod nobody sees except the guys who change your oil? Do what??

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It does not add that much horsepower but, as the amount of fuel increases in Air-Fuel mixture, the temperature of mixture after burning of fuel is more. For same clearance volume in engine, higher temperature gives higher pressure inside the cylinder. Higher the pressure inside the cylinder above the piston, more force will act on piston giving higher torque.

Vararam claims to add up to 30HP +35-40lbs of torque and 1-2mpg.
Vararam.png

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, more air equals more fuel. There will never be a fuel economy increase when you start dumping more air into the engine.

At the end of the day the throttle body, intake runners, and valves can only take in so much CFM of air. If you want 40 lb/ft you're going to have to mod the internals.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, more air equals more fuel. There will never be a fuel economy increase when you start dumping more air into the engine.

At the end of the day the throttle body, intake runners, and valves can only take in so much CFM of air. If you want 40 lb/ft you're going to have to mod the internals.
Technically, when at WOT, the PCM is running in open loop using preset values for fuel and spark. It only uses IAT and coolant temp to adjust. O2 sensors are ignored. So if you are getting more air into the motor, it will slightly lean out the fuel. And since the factory tune is set rich for "safety" it is very possible to add HP on the dyno. Daily driving at part throttle, not going to make a difference. I dropped 3 tenths off my 0-60 time going from stock to my Vararam intake. Tested same day, same road, three runs in each configuration to get an average. That increase in performance did not carry over to my times at the drag strip though

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That's why it says "adds up to 30 HP".

They coulda said “up to 100”

Still doesn’t mean anything.

If adding a intake would add that much performance and mpg. Then ram would have added it from the factory to increase their epa and performance numbers.

All they do is make your engine bay cooler and your wallet lighter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
... Then ram would have added it from the factory to increase their epa and performance numbers.

so if it makes are wallet lighter.... then they do give you better mpg... by shaving weight ahahaha

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

If adding a intake would add that much performance and mpg. Then ram would have added it from the factory to increase their epa and performance numbers.

Not necessarily true. There is a reason the RamAir intake doesn't have a CARB EO number to be sold in California.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Like Gieco's claim... you could save up to 15% or more..... So wait, what are you promising me, exactly??

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

That's true, but they know that even the gullible people wouldn't believe that claim. I'm sure they went with 30 to try and maintain some semblance of reality to people who don't know enough to know better.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
But you can buy a GT model in CA, which comes with this intake from the factory. No?
I'm not sure on that. I wonder if the GT models aren't sent to the accessories building to have the RamAir installed like they do for the running boards, spray in bed liner and tonneau covers before being shipped to dealers. Those aren't installed on assembly line

Detroitmikeb

Reaction score
So I’ve had the Mopar CAI on for about 50 miles. It sounds great but there’s such a lag in the lower RPM’s now. Like you punch it from a stop, it’s a dog then shoots up to 3k and roars.

I’m really hoping it’s just the computer relearning (unplugged the battery for 2+ hours during install).

Users who are viewing this thread