5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar’s “Ram Airflow” Cold-Air Intake System For Ram 1500:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
So I’ve had the Mopar CAI on for about 50 miles. It sounds great but there’s such a lag in the lower RPM’s now. Like you punch it from a stop, it’s a dog then shoots up to 3k and roars.

I’m really hoping it’s just the computer relearning (unplugged the battery for 2+ hours during install).
What you are describing is not possible with that CAI.
It's either just relearning because of the battery or you did not install it properly, didn't put a clap on tight, or something blocking it.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That sounds unusual. Did you possibly leave something loose or unplugged underneath?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So I’ve had the Mopar CAI on for about 50 miles. It sounds great but there’s such a lag in the lower RPM’s now. Like you punch it from a stop, it’s a dog then shoots up to 3k and roars.

I’m really hoping it’s just the computer relearning (unplugged the battery for 2+ hours during install).
That has nothing to do with the RamAir. It can't effect throttle response

Detroitmikeb

Reaction score
But it can effect the F/A ratio.

I’ll drive it another few days and see if the computer learns more. Everything looks installed correctly. There was no bag to remove from the filter or anything right?

It’s like the torque is gone from a stop then it roars around 3,000 and jumps.

Detroitmikeb

Reaction score
Can this MAF go in upside down at all? I fit it into the coupler correctly as per the directions. It looks like it reads are 360*

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That has nothing to do with the Ram Air. It can't effect throttle response
I have the RAMAIR and throttle response never changed. air temp sensor and computer control air/fuel mix, not CAI filter. After install the only thing I saw was a temporary lean mix log. But throttle response remained the same.
If the hose on the bottom or the TB hose are not properly connected, or the air temp sensor is not properly plugged in all the way, that is the only thing that might cause an issue.

Last edited:

Detroitmikeb

Reaction score
So the little stick isn’t a MAF? That’s air temp? The hose seems connected good.

I didn’t get a clamp with mine to clamp the CAI onto the throttle body, I reused the OEM one, did you guys reuse yours?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
So the little stick isn’t a MAF? That’s air temp? The hose seems connected good.

I didn’t get a clamp with mine to clamp the CAI onto the throttle body, I reused the OEM one, did you guys reuse yours?
A clamp is a clamp.
If everything looks good you can revert back to the stock airbox and troubleshoot your problem then reinstall the Ramair intake.

bocco

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Veraram product has been CARB approved?

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Veraram product has been CARB approved?
No, most smaller companies like Vararam aren't going to pay the exorbitant amount Cali wants just to get a CARB EO number. Especially for products like CAI that have absolutely zero effect on emissions.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
No, most smaller companies like Vararam aren't going to pay the exorbitant amount Cali wants just to get a CARB EO number. Especially for products like CAI that have absolutely zero effect on emissions.
Bigger brand CAI need to have a carb sticker to be able to be used in CA despite it yes, having no effect on emissions.
My Airaid came with a carb sticker for example. I believe all K&N intakes also come with the sticker.

I wonder if he could get a Vararam and use a sticker from something else.
Maybe just slap an K&N sticker over the intake with a K&N carb sticker for his inspections, not like the inspector would know an air intake from the next?

Dewey

Reaction score
My RAM Airflow is labeled with Offroad Use Only and it’s installed from the factory on GT’s. Does this mean GT’s cannot be sold in California?

I’m guessing they are. Just shows the hypocrisy of the Carb Certification.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Bigger brand CAI need to have a carb sticker to be able to be used in CA despite it yes, having no effect on emissions.
My Airaid came with a carb sticker for example. I believe all K&N intakes also come with the sticker.

I wonder if he could get a Vararam and use a sticker from something else.
Maybe just slap an K&N sticker over the intake with a K&N carb sticker for his inspections, not like the inspector would know an air intake from the next?
The CARB inspectors are smarter than that. The CARB EO number cross references to specific part numbers for the parts. If what's installed doesn't match what the CARB EO number belongs to, you fail.

For example, the 98-99 Mopar headers for the Dodge Dakota has a CARB EO number, but the 2000 Mopar headers did not. The only thing that changed is they went from dual in/single out cat to a single in/single cat on the down pipes, the headers themselves were identical. And if the part number plate on the headers doesn't match the ones associated with the CARB EO number then it won't work. Depending on what shop you go to, some 2000 owners were able to get away with running the 98-99 headers because the tech didn't pay attention to model year.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The CARB inspectors are smarter than that. The CARB EO number cross references to specific part numbers for the parts. If what's installed doesn't match what the CARB EO number belongs to, you fail.

For example, the 98-99 Mopar headers for the Dodge Dakota has a CARB EO number, but the 2000 Mopar headers did not. The only thing that changed is they went from dual in/single out cat to a single in/single cat on the down pipes, the headers themselves were identical. And if the part number plate on the headers doesn't match the ones associated with the CARB EO number then it won't work. Depending on what shop you go to, some 2000 owners were able to get away with running the 98-99 headers because the tech didn't pay attention to model year.
Meanwhile i'm annoying that I simply need to tie wrap my front license plate on for my yearly inspection so I can take the ugly thing off, over there in CA they got James Bond doing inspections.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Meanwhile i'm annoying that I simply need to tie wrap my front license plate on for my yearly inspection so I can take the ugly thing off, over there in CA they got James Bond doing inspections.
It's because the smog shops can be fined for passing vehicles that don't comply. And they aren't cheap fines. You are looking at $15000 minimum for the shop itself and then the technician that did the actual inspection can be fined personally as well. I'm not saying there aren't shops that will pass you for a little money under the table, but they are getting harder to find. Luckily when I was stationed in Cali during my time in the Navy I never had to worry about it as my vehicles stayed registered in Nebraska. No inspections and no smog here.

6of36

Reaction score
My RAM Airflow is labeled with Offroad Use Only and it’s installed from the factory on GT’s. Does this mean GT’s cannot be sold in California?

I’m guessing they are. Just shows the hypocrisy of the Carb Certification.
It's a CYA to mark it off road only. You may have other modifications on your truck, so they don't want to have association to a vehicle that may not comply. When the factory installs the part, it has been tested for that exact configuration, and is known to comply.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's a CYA to mark it off road only. You may have other modifications on your truck, so they don't want to have association to a vehicle that may not comply. When the factory installs the part, it has been tested for that exact configuration, and is known to comply.
It means they didn't pay to get the emissions certification as an accessory part. Has nothing to do with any other modifications you have done to the truck.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Y'all might want to check the local laws pertaining to parts designated "off road use only" for liability issues. If you are involved in an accident, and you have those parts installed, your *** might be hanging' out a mile if someone wants to take you to court.
Just a thought.
I doubt a CAI is going to make any difference in an accident investigation

Users who are viewing this thread