5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar’s “Ram Airflow” Cold-Air Intake System For Ram 1500:

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Forgive me if this is a dumb question but what’s the second battery for?🤔
If you run a lot of accessories for things like compressors, lights, refrigerators, electronics or as a good backup. Some will allow you to press a button and jumpstart the main battery from the secondary. Jeepers and over landers seem to use them a lot.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Very nice. Any idea how different the letter size is from the front grill RAM? After seeing how nice yours came I'd like to match my grill RAM if I ever pull the trigger on the intake
Radiator cover letters are just a smidge smaller.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, Thanks! If I go with the intake I may be able to use the same flag grill overlay then and just trim.
Probably easier to just ask the person you got the grill overlay from if they can make on the correct size.

DesertRebel

Reaction score
WoW - I literally read all 1189 posts today! I had browsed the thread before - but read more detailed today (didn't really learn anything other than part number for replacement filter- thank you to the member that posted it, sorry I don't have your name handy)

Anyway- I received my intake today... butt dyno tells me at least 20hp gains! And that's with intake still sitting in box in garage 😁

Once the weather cooperates, I'll install... gives me time to find the overlays that were discussed late in thread.

DesertRebel

Reaction score
Here is a pic of the one I have and the company I ordered it from.
I'm not finding description for the intake letters from reflective or overlayguy... I have the RAM grill letters from reflective concepts, but they are bigger.... is it a custom size request?

If they have the right size in stock, can you post a link?... tia

RHCan

USAF Retired Vet
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not finding description for the intake letters from reflective or overlayguy... I have the RAM grill letters from reflective concepts, but they are bigger.... is it a custom size request?

It’s listed as the ram radiator shroud decal
see picture, I just went to the website and found.

Attachments

• 57A913B7-F000-4122-AA8F-EC51DBEEFB28.png
    57A913B7-F000-4122-AA8F-EC51DBEEFB28.png
    184.9 KB · Views: 55

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Should be same size as radiator cover. The Overlay Guy definitely makes them as he made some for my radiator cover and I would buy from him to support fellow Ram owner.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
WoW - I literally read all 1189 posts today! I had browsed the thread before - but read more detailed today (didn't really learn anything other than part number for replacement filter- thank you to the member that posted it, sorry I don't have your name handy)

Anyway- I received my intake today... butt dyno tells me at least 20hp gains! And that's with intake still sitting in box in garage 😁

Once the weather cooperates, I'll install... gives me time to find the overlays that were discussed late in thread.
Butt dyno has a bad enough name already. Your saying it tells you something without even having installed it yet takes it to a whole new level. :ROFLMAO:

Don't get me wrong, if you read through all the previous posts you'll see I'm a fan of this intake for my own reasons. But it doesn't provide any performance gains to speak of, let alone a 20 hp increase.

DesertRebel

Reaction score
Pro tip - DON'T fully remove the engine cover! It's obviously not necessary, as you only need to lift the front enough to put new MUA hose on - but I removed it all the way, becasue I cleaned the filthy engine bay when I installed... it is a PITA to put back on! The two rear posts need to seat in rubber grommets and it's a b!tch!

Also, be careful when installing the two 'snap in clips' (the clips with embedded nuts that snap into the L/R opening in core support)... those clips are extremely rigid and can go flying if you don't keep a grip on it... of course it takes the path to the abyss (mine went down a little opening by the window washer reservoir and sat comfortably underneath - I was to unbolt the reservoir to get the clip).

Other than that, install was pretty smooth. Somehow I lost 19 of the 20 hp I had when it was sitting in the garage - lol

ETA: the overlays from Reflective Concepts fit/look great! (thanks again to the member that told me where to find it)

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Pro tip - DON'T fully remove the engine cover! It's obviously not necessary, as you only need to lift the front enough to put new MUA hose on - but I removed it all the way, becasue I cleaned the filthy engine bay when I installed... it is a PITA to put back on! The two rear posts need to seat in rubber grommets and it's a b!tch!

Also, be careful when installing the two 'snap in clips' (the clips with embedded nuts that snap into the L/R opening in core support)... those clips are extremely rigid and can go flying if you don't keep a grip on it... of course it takes the path to the abyss (mine went down a little opening by the window washer reservoir and sat comfortably underneath - I was to unbolt the reservoir to get the clip).

Other than that, install was pretty smooth. Somehow I lost 19 of the 20 hp I had when it was sitting in the garage - lol

ETA: the overlays from Reflective Concepts fit/look great! (thanks again to the member that told me where to find it)
I solved that issue by trimming a little off the engine cover where it needs to clear the PCV. Now it's easy to remove/install the engine cover.

sf_49ersfan

Reaction score
Does the RAM Air Flow intake use the same feature as the Vararam, channeling air from behind the grill? How would this affect those with active shutters? Also, if purchasing the RAM Air Flow CAI, any special hood needed? I do like the look of having the intake on top. Thanks again!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Does the RAM Air Flow intake use the same feature as the Vararam, channeling air from behind the grill? How would this affect those with active shutters? Also, if purchasing the RAM Air Flow CAI, any special hood needed? I do like the look of having the intake on top. Thanks again!
Yes, it takes air from in front of radiator.
Active grill shutters have no effect on it.

No special hood needed.

Users who are viewing this thread