5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar’s “Ram Airflow” Cold-Air Intake System For Ram 1500:

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Mopar’s “Ram Airflow” Cold-Air Intake System For Ram 1500:
Ram's All New Intake, Where Is It?

InShot_20190617_125301223_1.gif

JustAnotherGuy

Reaction score
I've heard about this and that we will need the sport hood for it, however after looking at the design, I don't see where you would need the sport hood. I'm curious because I'd like a few more ponies for my Ram and all of the aftermarket intakes seem to net less acceleration. I don't care about sound in the least.

I'll gladly drop $1000 for it if we net a true 15-20HP. And I'm not into modding trucks (Sports cars and Fast SUVs yes) so OEM components are what I want. I had a bad *** CAI for my 2014 SRT Jeep when I bought it in 2013. In 2015 I added a $4500 GT Haus (Meisterschaft) exhaust system. My butt dyno told me the Jeep was faster with the mods. However the track timer in the vehicle and at the track told me it was faster bone stock. Now with that ride it was worth it for the sound, but in a truck I use for work, I only care about performance mods that actually increase performance. lol

Last edited:

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
reminds me of the 80s IROC-Z
I'd get it but it'd have to tie into the hood -- there isn't that much space for flow from the front. (maybe 1' tall?) I wanna see CAD drawings myself :)

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've heard about this and that we will need the sport hood for it, however after looking at the design, I don't see where you would need the sport hood. I'm curious because I'd like a few more ponies for my Ram and all of the aftermarket intakes seem to net less acceleration. I don't care about sound in the least.

I'll gladly drop $1000 for it if we net a true 15-20HP. And I'm not into modding trucks (Sports cars and Fast SUVs yes) so OEM components are what I want. I had a bad *** CAI for my 2014 SRT Jeep when I bought it in 2013. In 2015 I added a $4500 GT Haus (Meisterschaft) exhaust system. My butt dyno told me the Jeep was faster with the mods. However the track timer in the vehicle and at the track told me it was faster bone stock. Now with that ride it was worth it for the sound, but in a truck I use for work, I only care about performance mods that actually increase performance. lol
The article specifically states that it will work with any hood. Early on (a year ago), we speculated as to whether it would fit above the eTorque MGU. Still looking forward to seeing one of these unicorns in person.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This system is double the price of previous Mopar cold air intakes. The previous gen Mopar intakes were advertised good for about a 10hp bump. What will make this intake worth double the cost? It seems like the 2019 already has a pretty efficient stock intake. Wonder how much more they can get out of this. The design is similar to vararam and they “advertise” some great gains.

More than 20hp? Include a tune?

It’s a cool looking piece and I will probably buy if it advertises some good gains.

5th gen rams should definitely get an early release kit from Mopar and let us all know how it performs on their long term tester!!

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Nope. You can use both regular and Sport hood with the application.

JustAnotherGuy

Reaction score
will this be a RAM air setup on the sport hoods them?
It looks to me like it will be "ram air" regardless of the hood, via the grill. I remember the Trans Am had a WS6 package (ram air) that was good for a true 15HP and 10 torque.

Companies like AFE are typically full of crap. I've only had overall performance decreases from aftermarket CAIs. Usually they cause major heat soak, or in the case of the very beautiful AFE, they're no improvement over stock. It's like replacing the stock system with a cooler looking aftermarket system.

This mopar system excites me because it looks like it will net real world performance increases.

DraKhen99

Reaction score
It looks to me like it will be "ram air" regardless of the hood, via the grill. I remember the Trans Am had a WS6 package (ram air) that was good for a true 15HP and 10 torque.

Companies like AFE are typically full of crap. I've only had overall performance decreases from aftermarket CAIs. Usually they cause major heat soak, or in the case of the very beautiful AFE, they're no improvement over stock. It's like replacing the stock system with a cooler looking aftermarket system.

This mopar system excites me because it looks like it will net real world performance increases.

Yeah, the only time I got noticeable gains was on a 2008 Honda Civic with a K&N Typhoon CAI. It used the stock intake as well as under-hood air, so it wasn't a true CAI, nor was it a heat-soaking sap on power. It brought the torque curve lower in the RPM range, thus making the car quicker off the line and better as a daily driver. The kicker was the MPGs... they went up by 4 with my not-so-light right foot.

-John

danielle2019

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I always wanted to add the WS6 to my Trans Am, just couldn’t afford many mods at the time. I just wanted the look of the Ram air hood!

Raylan GIvens

Reaction score
I always wanted to add the WS6 to my Trans Am, just couldn’t afford many mods at the time. I just wanted the look of the Ram air hood!

That was the favorite vehicle I ever owned. Wish I still had the WS.6.

I was hoping the hood on the Sport would be somewhat functional with a heat extractor or something, but instead we just get some pieces of plastic.

danielle2019

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That was the favorite vehicle I ever owned. Wish I still had the WS.6.

I was hoping the hood on the Sport would be somewhat functional with a heat extractor or something, but instead we just get some pieces of plastic.
I still miss my TA! It was my first car, I got my first job just to get it. I was hoping they return when Camaro did, but of course that wasn’t to be. Lots of great memories though ;)
1DAC739D-6B4D-44D8-B02A-45041C853002.jpeg

Agreed on the sport hood. So many cars have these fake vents everywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread