5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar’s “Ram Airflow” Cold-Air Intake System For Ram 1500:

fbatwork

Reaction score
May as well jump into the deep end being new to the forum... Interesting thread, even more interesting opinions from "experts"... While I can't say as my truck hasn't arrived yet, a log of the engine would likely be a great starting point for what type of power the intake is going to make relative to the stock unit... Temperature difference alone could make more than 30 hp... maybe not 30 hp more, but certainly an easy 30 hp if the engine is sucking hot air... pulling timing etc due to the intake air temp... as noted, a log would clearly show this, no dyno needed.

ironking

Reaction score
Don’t have a photo but it pulls from right in front and top of the radiator. It’s more of a half *** short ram intake, pulling air from outside the engine bay but it will get the best flow at speed.
07978cded81da82e4fe4b9dcf8154560.jpg

These are the inlets they go the whole length at where it meets the radiator cover. Can’t recall exactly how big they are but they should have more surface opening than stock but I wouldn’t bet on it being by much. The airflow increase would likely be from the pressure meeting the front of the truck and the shorter travel distance and different filter design. The stock intake is very good short of a high flow filter, but this looks great and I know I’ve seen a improvement in throttle response and MPG. Sound wise no real change unless you gun it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Appreciate you taking the time for that.

Ramron

Reaction score
It says soap and water. Use hose and spray from the inside. Then let air dry
Thanks for the response. I thought that as well, but when I asked my dealer, they didn’t know. Any particular type of soap? If I remember correctly, these are dry filters, unlike k&n which require an oil type coating. Correct?

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I thought that as well, but when I asked my dealer, they didn’t know. Any particular type of soap? If I remember correctly, these are dry filters, unlike k&n which require an oil type coating. Correct?
Correct, This is a dry filter.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone know if just a replacement filter can be bought?

I have yet to find a part # for it. When I remove the cover to change the oil for the first time (in about a month or so), I will see if I can find a part number somewhere on the filter.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have and it looks great but it doesn't add much in the way of sound and I'm not sure if it adds horsepower either. But again... it sure looks good and as you say, I bought it because I wanted it! LOL

You are correct...it does neither, but it LOOKS AMAZING!

While I did not buy it for HP, I did expect it to give me a little better acceleration. Some CAIs go to far, and give you a little bit better high-end acceleration at the expense of losing a little down low.

This one seems to have helped a little with acceleration down low and in the middle, and I took no MPG hit, despite the fun factor going up. Reports are it will even help a little with MPG on the highway, due to it taking air in from the front. I'm a bit skeptical, and have not had a chance to take it on a long trip yet since install, but we will see.

So far though, it is everything I hoped it would be. Did it turn my truck into a race car? Of course not. And maybe its only 0.1 second faster, but thats fine, I knew what to expect, and I can feel the difference. I'm content.

And it looks great. 🤣

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
While I did not buy it for HP, I did expect it to give me a little better acceleration. Some CAIs go to far, and give you a little bit better high-end acceleration at the expense of losing a little down low.

This one seems to have helped a little with acceleration down low and in the middle, and I took no MPG hit, despite the fun factor going up. Reports are it will even help a little with MPG on the highway, due to it taking air in from the front. I'm a bit skeptical, and have not had a chance to take it on a long trip yet since install, but we will see.

So far though, it is everything I hoped it would be. Did it turn my truck into a race car? Of course not. And maybe its only 0.1 second faster, but thats fine, I knew what to expect, and I can feel the difference. I'm content.

And it looks great. 🤣
If it was around $300, I'd probably pop for it just because. But, at >$750...I can't get myself to do it ;)

Kob0583

Reaction score
Mine helped with MPG on the HWY. I’m consistently 20-22 before I was 19-20.

Ryancassidy

Reaction score
So what speed, tires and gear ratio? I'm getting 17.. if I'm lucky... at about 75ish MPH...

I keep hearing folks north or 20mpg and I'm guessing that's at like 55 or somthing

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So what speed, tires and gear ratio? I'm getting 17.. if I'm lucky... at about 75ish MPH...

I keep hearing folks north or 20mpg and I'm guessing that's at like 55 or somthing
I can get about 16 still, but thats with 35s at 80 mph, 3.21 gears and a 6" lift. I average 11-12 with city driving. The Airflow didn't seem to change it any. Doesn't help that I run a Pedal Commander that is usually set to Sport+ mode.

Users who are viewing this thread