5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar’s “Ram Airflow” Cold-Air Intake System For Ram 1500:

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To those who have the ramair and get oil changes at the dealership. Do they give issues about the oil fill lack of access?

I had one done recently, and it was returned missing a bolt on the bracket that holds the rear end to the end of the engine bay

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had one done recently, and it was returned missing a bolt on the bracket that holds the rear end to the end of the engine bay
I think it best that I show the tech's how to take the cover off when I drop it off or take the cover off after I pull up at the dealership. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
All I can say is WOW!!! Never thought I'd get a reaction like that when all that I am saying is based on pure science. Anyone that knows anything about the science behind CAI's should understand this. If anyone says that their truck, from a DEAD stop, is quicker off the line with a CAI is smoking something as, pure logic, will tell you that it is IMPOSSIBLE as there is NO AIR FLOW when you are at a dead stop off the line. @ChadT, I know the truth hurts but it is truth and fact. You can call me every name in the book if you like, but that doesn't change that what I have stated is true.

@RAM Patriot...I expected no other reaction from you than what you did so you're very predictable my friend :)

Did the engineer in you ever think that even at a dead stop, you may not be "forcing" more air into the engine but you are definitely sucking in more air with the larger tube, shorter length, and massive filter? Try drinking water through a narrow straw then insert a bigger diameter straw and see how much water is sucked up in comparison.

Alter Ego Trip

Reaction score
I've dyno'd many cars over the years and unfortunately I have yet to see an intake on it's own add an appreciable amount of hp on a stock vehicle. There are variables that come into play on preventing loss of power however. IAT's come into play in instances which can cause the vehicle to retard timing etc (which reduces power).

I appreciate the straw analogy; but remember the system is the sum of the parts. A larger straw given to a smoker is different than the same larger straw given to a fit 20 year old. Power is comprised of air fuel and exhaust evacuation. Stock tune, stock exhaust, and aftermarket intake really isn't doing much; especially if the engine can't make use of it. Same with fuel. You can put 110 octane fuel in your moms mini van and it isn't gaining any hp.

My aftermarket intake on the dyno on an otherwise stock car produced very little gains. An aftermarket intake on my supercharged vehicle produced much different results. An aftermarket intake and LT's on my supercharged/tuned car produced much difference results again.

At the end of the day; it's what makes you happy. I love the look of the Vararam on my truck. I didn't care if it added 1 or 20 hp. Those who say they can tell a difference from a 1 or 2 hp mod have much more sensitive back sides than I do. :)

menotu

Reaction score
Have asked in general a few times and no response. Question for you:

Does anything have to come off to refill the oil during a change?

Haven't seen any pics of that side.
No, nothing needs to be removed to check the oil. You must remove the rear cover assembly to get to the filler nozzle.

Last edited:

menotu

Reaction score
Has anyone had an oil change after the ram airflow was installed? I’m at a dealership right now and they told me they had to remove the intake to perform the oil change. He said that there was no way to get the oil in without removing. Still waiting on my oil change price lol.
You don't have to remove the air intake to change the oil. You must remove the rear cover assembly to get to the filler nozzle. You can check the oil level (dip stick) without removing the cover.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ordered mine today. Don’t expect too much out of it. Almost ordered the Vararam instead but decided Mopar. Rumored that a new hood will have a functional scoop that feeds into the intake. Bought it with the hopes that comes out. If not that’s ok. I will add a tune and some headers down the line so this will work well with it when it happens.

Bwsteg

Reaction score
Ordered mine today. Don’t expect too much out of it. Almost ordered the Vararam instead but decided Mopar. Rumored that a new hood will have a functional scoop that feeds into the intake. Bought it with the hopes that comes out. If not that’s ok. I will add a tune and some headers down the line so this will work well with it when it happens.
How much was the cost for the intake?

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
$850 after tax from the dealer. Ordering it online is too costly because of shipping. Mopar has a 15% off coupon to use at the dealer so I used that.
I don’t expect anything crazy from it, but the Vararam is proven to provide some gain and this is essentially the same thing but in a closed system. If the Ram-air hood comes out it will be a sweet combo. I also have a Carven cat back on at the moment so it should add a bit to the sound.

Bwsteg

Reaction score
$850 after tax from the dealer. Ordering it online is too costly because of shipping. Mopar has a 15% off coupon to use at the dealer so I used that.
I don’t expect anything crazy from it, but the Vararam is proven to provide some gain and this is essentially the same thing but in a closed system. If the Ram-air hood comes out it will be a sweet combo. I also have a Carven cat back on at the moment so it should add a bit to the sound.
Can you share where you got the 15% coupon? $850 is a great deal if I can get it locally.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can you share where you got the 15% coupon? $850 is a great deal if I can get it locally.

Attachments

• 1A33A85B-E11D-4FCF-BC7B-C77C461F9B3A.jpeg
    1A33A85B-E11D-4FCF-BC7B-C77C461F9B3A.jpeg
    241.4 KB · Views: 52

Amerinamese

Reaction score
If the Vararam costs approx $370 and the ram air intake costs $850 with a discount, why would you want the ram air one? Is there a significant difference between the two? No judgement, just wondering.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If the Vararam costs approx $370 and the ram air intake costs $850 with a discount, why would you want the ram air one? Is there a significant difference between the two? No judgement, just wondering.
Cutting in...if I buy one, it’ll be the Mopar version. It’s a closed system, looks better, and is covered by FCA. But to your point, I doubt it performs significantly better, and it costs a lot more.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Personal preference. Mopar has a dry filter vs Vararam being oiled. Mopar is a sealed system vs Vararam being open and only sealing with the hood shut. The Mopar is built better and not as flimsy.
Mopar may also be releasing a new hood soon with a functional hood scoop that connects and feeds directly into the Ram Air intake.

Amazing93

Reaction score
I got mine when they first came out last year online for 750 shipped from BAM. I think they had shipping wrong but they honored it. Got lucky I guess.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got it installed today. Only drive about 10 minutes with it so we will see how it does over the course of the week. It does add a little bit more sound to the Carven cat back. Throttle response might be a tad better, but I have a Pedal Commander so that wasn’t an issue anyway. I could notice a difference when I was going 70 on the highway and floored it to pass somebody.

Attachments

• 9260B940-750D-48FD-9200-F13FF876F47F.jpeg
    9260B940-750D-48FD-9200-F13FF876F47F.jpeg
    145.9 KB · Views: 163
  • 5424A5FB-C226-44DE-BEA1-B4EAB45C5101.jpeg
    5424A5FB-C226-44DE-BEA1-B4EAB45C5101.jpeg
    138.4 KB · Views: 161
  • E511A381-C005-4A95-9C01-98A6BB8265A7.jpeg
    E511A381-C005-4A95-9C01-98A6BB8265A7.jpeg
    178.7 KB · Views: 163

ironking

Reaction score
Whew that was a long thread to read, although quite amusing at times. I'm happy to see everyone for the most part made up. So I have a question....2 actually...

Can someone take some pictures of where it's actually pulling air from? Showing the size, shape and location? 2nd, has anyone driven through a "blizzard" or a down pour and seen water in the tract? I'm assuming no problems, but just curious. Thanks.

Kob0583

Reaction score
Don’t have a photo but it pulls from right in front and top of the radiator. It’s more of a half *** short ram intake, pulling air from outside the engine bay but it will get the best flow at speed.
07978cded81da82e4fe4b9dcf8154560.jpg

These are the inlets they go the whole length at where it meets the radiator cover. Can’t recall exactly how big they are but they should have more surface opening than stock but I wouldn’t bet on it being by much. The airflow increase would likely be from the pressure meeting the front of the truck and the shorter travel distance and different filter design. The stock intake is very good short of a high flow filter, but this looks great and I know I’ve seen a improvement in throttle response and MPG. Sound wise no real change unless you gun it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online