5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar’s “Ram Airflow” Cold-Air Intake System For Ram 1500:

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll let you all keep drinking the Kool-Aid ;) What I find interesting is that what some of you say you are "feeling" defies the laws of physics and engine dynamics. Starting from a stop will have ZERO impact on your ability to accelerate with any CAI and this one is no different. Might you feel something at 50+ mph? Yes, you might as more air may get into the engine than the standard intake. However, the engines computers are also designed to monitor many of the engines functions and, as another member eloquently stated in this thread, without a tune to reprogram the engines dynamics, it will have little impact on your drive. What I believe you all are feeling, which has been stated on many different forums, is the "placebo" effect...spending an unGodly amount of money on something that looks awesome and trying to justify the expense by "feeling" something different that really isn't there. Hey...don't get me wrong...if you all are liking it and feel it was worth every penny...that's all that matters and I'm happy you're enjoying your truck more then you did before! Now, with that being said, every time I wash truck, and it looks absolutely AMAZING, it does feel faster when I take it for a spin as the dirt on the vehicle prior was impacting the aerodynamics of the truck so I fully get where you all are coming from:cool:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I noticed all of the things you mentioned about the Ram airflow also! Money well spent in my opinion!

Loved it. Absolutely love it.
I do believe it's fair and appropriate to say "guys it's not a turbocharger", but I think that's a real point no one who owns one or is selling it, is trying to say. It's addressing a strawman criticism.

It looks cool, slightly effected the sound profile in a way I liked, I personally think better air delivery is good for an engine but that's just me.
Anecdotally speaking I want to say I'm seeing a slight MPG bump, and I am NOT driving like a grandma. I'll hold off on stating it for sure for certain, but now that I'm on record that I won't be placating the critics?
If you MADE ME GUESS, if it was the end of the world? and I had to make a guess to save it?
I'll be bold and give a guesstimate. I'm going to say it picked up .5mpg, perhaps .7mpg
I'm going to say 1mpg extra on a highway loop.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Loved it. Absolutely love it.
I do believe it's fair and appropriate to say "guys it's not a turbocharger", but I think that's a real point no one who owns one or is selling it, is trying to say. It's addressing a strawman criticism.

It looks cool, slightly effected the sound profile in a way I liked, I personally think better air delivery is good for an engine but that's just me.
Anecdotally speaking I want to say I'm seeing a slight MPG bump, and I am NOT driving like a grandma. I'll hold off on stating it for sure for certain, but now that I'm on record that I won't be placating the critics?
If you MADE ME GUESS, if it was the end of the world? and I had to make a guess to save it?
I'll be bold and give a guesstimate. I'm going to say it picked up .5mpg, perhaps .7mpg
I'm going to say 1mpg extra on a highway loop.
@ChadT , Everything you have stated about the Ram Airflow is spot on!! (y)

Well Said... (y)

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
All I can say is WOW!!! Never thought I'd get a reaction like that when all that I am saying is based on pure science. Anyone that knows anything about the science behind CAI's should understand this. If anyone says that their truck, from a DEAD stop, is quicker off the line with a CAI is smoking something as, pure logic, will tell you that it is IMPOSSIBLE as there is NO AIR FLOW when you are at a dead stop off the line. @ChadT, I know the truth hurts but it is truth and fact. You can call me every name in the book if you like, but that doesn't change that what I have stated is true.

@RAM Patriot...I expected no other reaction from you than what you did so you're very predictable my friend :)

Bearman95

Reaction score
You'll "let me keep drinking the kool aid"? Really?
You'll "let me" do something?

I've been as conciliatory as I can towards your opinions, and I will now cease doing that considering how insulting, condescending and needlessly arrogant you've been with me and with other posters. You deserve to be treated with the same dismissive and snarky attitude you've shown others, and here we go.

You are not an expert. You and I have the same expertise on this, in fact I think you have less.
This design shouldn't be roped in with other "hot air intakes" and non-filtering filters, with traditional airbox designs, different tube sizes, and locations.
Your approval, doesn't matter to me, or the other owners of this intake - in the slightest, and it's cringeworthy and bizarre how you jump at people over it. We all want you to knock it off.
I think your opinion on this, is worth what I paid for it.

Aside from your excellent and fantastic tastes in pistols, I won't be responding or acknowledging anything else you've got to say about cold air intakes, unless you can reveal that you're a member of the S.A.E., or you were on the design team that built this thing.
After this send off, I will not be responding to you in this thread anymore. Your attitude is why. Your content is second to that.
And no matter how conciliatory I try to be, you start right up with the BS. There's no point in me trying to be a gentleman when you're not going to be.

I won't tell you how to be, you can quote the posts and feel free to disagree - I will not be engaging with you anymore in this thread, because I get nothing from it aside from, "hey man CAIs won't make your engine a different engine. And that part is expensive" with a ton of noise surrounding it.
Points taken.
And I agreed.

I wont' go out of my way to find you in other threads or say "hey pedal commanders are silly wastes of money", I won't want to "get even".
I won't be engaging with you further on this topic, but that won't preclude me from hearing you out on other ones. Pistols for one. People are free to disagree on things, I won't throw away the sum total of someone's experiences or opinions - because of ONE opinion I disagree with. But on THIS topic, I am done with you - as I think many are, and I think you should exit this thread.
Put him on your ignore list, that’s what I did Several weeks ago!

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Put him on your ignore list, that’s what I did Several weeks ago!

Oh interesting, I didn't know we had ignore lists here? Hmm.

I totalllly understand why that might be a good idea, :ROFLMAO:
that said though, I think I might not. I might like what he has to say in other threads, about other topics

This one? I'm on record, we crossed swords and made opinions known.
Other ones? I'm open to the idea that he might have a few things I'd like to know!

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@ChadT , Everything you have stated about the Ram Airflow is spot on!! (y)

Well Said... (y)

Gotta say, in addition to letting my engine breathe better and all the benefits from it?
Including, but not limited to, a slight tick in horsepower, air to engine speed and volume, sound, and quite possibly fuel efficiency too?

It's also nice to look at.
It has that "old muscle car" look to it.
A good exhaust system and this intake go together like peanut butter and jelly.

Ram_air_Filter.png

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Gotta say, in addition to letting my engine breathe better and all the benefits from it?
Including, but not limited to, a slight tick in horsepower, air to engine speed and volume, sound, and quite possibly fuel efficiency too?

It's also nice to look at.
It has that "old muscle car" look to it.
A good exhaust system and this intake go together like peanut butter and jelly.

View attachment 65007
Agreed, I would never go back to stock or to a after market CAI. :cool: (y):geek:

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks @ChadT. I greatly appreciate you thinking through the downside of blocking people. We may not always agree my friend, and I am sorry you felt that you had to lash out, but the engineer in me is driven by science so consider that my anal fault. I do think I have added significant value to this forum and believe that I have a wealth of knowledge of both cars and trucks...been a BIG hobby since 1975 and I've just about done it all when it comes to mods. I hope that we do cross paths again as I'm confident that we'll both add value and learn from each other(y) Please accept my apology for driving my point too hard and I will take your advice and no longer comment on my feelings about this, or any other CAI in this thread:)

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks @ChadT. I greatly appreciate you thinking through the downside of blocking people. We may not always agree my friend, and I am sorry you felt that you had to lash out, but the engineer in me is driven by science so consider that my anal fault. I do think I have added significant value to this forum and believe that I have a wealth of knowledge of both cars and trucks...been a BIG hobby since 1975 and I've just about done it all when it comes to mods. I hope that we do cross paths again as I'm confident that we'll both add value and learn from each other(y) Please accept my apology for driving my point too hard and I will take your advice and no longer comment on my feelings about this, or any other CAI in this thread:)

I respect you as a person, and I look forward to talking with you in other threads, and hearing you out with what you've got to say - even though I vehemently disagreed on this one idea this one time in this one thread, the very thread where we are now.

My apologies if I swung a liiiiiiiittle more than I needed to :LOL:
I'm not perfect either! and it wouldn't be fair of me to expect that from someone else

rodgers_brady.gif

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Agreed, I would never go back to stock or to a after market CAI. :cool: (y):geek:

I was considering keeping my stock air box juuust in case. Anything manmade can fail and this was my first time installing something like this - but I decided to throw it out/repurpose it! I have zero intention of going back.

Bearman95

Reaction score
I was considering keeping my stock air box juuust in case. Anything manmade can fail and this was my first time installing something like this - but I decided to throw it out/repurpose it! I have zero intention of going back.
[/QUOTE I kept my stock exhaust intact, in other words I did not have to cut it when I took it off and also kept my stock airbox just in case I needed them down the line!

bigwhttrk19dt

Reaction score
In consideration of the "Ram Air" set-up...indeed I would have considered it, if for no other reason than the "wow" factor, however after seeing the CYA clause that FCA put in with the Ram Air... I'm not going there, not for close to $1000 to have some service mgr tell me ... I ... should not have added an off-road part ( see attached ). Am I against ram air or some type of modified hood... not at all. My '65 Belvedere has a Hemi scoop.,...but it's not under warranty.

Attachments

• ramair hook.jpg
    ramair hook.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 136
  • img6303_600.jpg
    img6303_600.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 138
  • PA030045 - Copy - Copy.JPG
    PA030045 - Copy - Copy.JPG
    180.9 KB · Views: 128

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
In consideration of the "Ram Air" set-up...indeed I would have considered it, if for no other reason than the "wow" factor, however after seeing the CYA clause that FCA put in with the Ram Air... I'm not going there, not for close to $1000 to have some service mgr tell me ... I ... should not have added an off-road part ( see attached ). Am I against ram air or some type of modified hood... not at all. My '65 Belvedere has a Hemi scoop.,...but it's not under warranty.
I can translate this for you: “We at FCA didn’t bother to run this part through EPA testing, let alone CARB compliance, so we’re just going to add some legal-eze to cover ourselves.”

Kob0583

Reaction score
I can translate this for you: “We at FCA didn’t bother to run this part through EPA testing, let alone CARB compliance, so we’re just going to add some legal-eze to cover ourselves.”

That’s exactly what it is, it doesn’t have a carbon filter so it can’t be CARB compliant. This is how they get around laws to sell the part and the reason the stock CAI has a carbon filter. Has nothing to do with voiding the warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've gotta say, rolling into the pedal at ~45mph going up a hill, that "smooth" feeling really is the best way to describe it. At that point there's enough engine load, air resistance on the truck, and room on the gas pedal - to really start rolling into it and enjoying the feeling of the power delivery and the exhaust note.

I want to hold off on giving a verdict on MPG change, I'd like to give it a month. But again if you FORCED me to take a guess?
I will say it certainly hasn't hurt it, I think the debate will likely be over how much it improved.
I think the net will be like .5mpg city, 1mpg highway on a long trip, averaging out to .7 in mixed driving. Something like that.
Oh, while being a touch peppier and smoother operating, every mile of the way. :cool:

Bwsteg

Reaction score
To those who have the ramair and get oil changes at the dealership. Do they give issues about the oil fill lack of access?

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To those who have the ramair and get oil changes at the dealership. Do they give issues about the oil fill lack of access?
I'm due for one next week so, I will let you know.

I plan on taking a long funnel just in case.

Users who are viewing this thread