5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar’s “Ram Airflow” Cold-Air Intake System For Ram 1500:

Bearman95

Reaction score
Well I installed my Mopar ram air. I have a Pedal Commander but I left it in the exact position that I’ve always used it on which is city +3. I also have installed a Borla Touring exhaust months ago. I’ve also had this pedal commander for months. So say what you want but I can definitely tell a difference in sound and power! If you don’t have A Mopar ram air and pedal commander then you don’t know what your missing. I don’t make it a habit to comment on something that I do not have Personal experience with But with the Mopar Ram Air and pedal commander installed I feel like I’m back in my 2011 Corvette grand sport.

DraKhen99

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure all Nissan's with the CVT transmission have this. I have experienced this on Maxima's Altima's Pathfinder's and Rogue's. I also don't understand the combination of the CVT and Paddle shifters that they like to use, my current Altima has this and it is absolutely pointless.

Interesting, I've never heard of the other Nissans having it. As for the paddle shifters, it was to approximate a sport-tuned automatic.

-John

MikeS54

Reaction score
Anyone know the best deal on the Ram Air intake? Looking to purchase one. Thanks in advance.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score

MikeS54

Reaction score

cubsflfan

Reaction score
Hi. I have a question. The lower section that houses the air filter shipped with a thin rubber trim piece that is on the edge around the outside of it. However, it does not want to stay on. Did you remove it or figure out a way to secure it?
Thanks

Boston

Reaction score
You want a funny one? The 2009-2015? Nissan Maxima had a detent built into the throttle pedal. If you "floored" it, you only got up to 5,400 RPMs and it tramlined like a sonofagun. If you pushed harder, past the detent, you got the full 100% throttle, around 6,000 RPMs, and it went like stink. It was not advertised but someone on the forums found it (I had a 2010 Maxima at the time), and it would make me giggle when I did it. Flash forward to last year, and a woman at work bought the same gen Maxima and I told her about it. She wanted to hug me the next day, it made her giggle when she ACTUALLY floored it!

-John

I don’t know if that Nissan was CVT or not. But the kids do have a Honda CRV with CVT. Not that they know or care about gearboxes. It’s kinda weird flooring the throttle, getting to redline and seeing it stay there seemingly stuck as the gearbox changes ratios as speed increases. It does have a sport mode that acts a bit like Tow/Haul. I did drive a Pathfinder rental for 980 miles (in a day) two years ago. It was fine and comfortable if a little old school on the inside.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi. I have a question. The lower section that houses the air filter shipped with a thin rubber trim piece that is on the edge around the outside of it. However, it does not want to stay on. Did you remove it or figure out a way to secure it?
Thanks

Mine stayed on initially, but after a trip to the dealer for an oil change it came loose. I used this to secure it...

3M Black Super Weatherstrip and... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00063X38M?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Take the weatherstrip off, run a TINY bead of this around the edge. Then wait about 3 minutes and put the weatherstrip back on. It’s very secure now.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine stayed on initially, but after a trip to the dealer for an oil change it came loose. I used this to secure it...

3M Black Super Weatherstrip and... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00063X38M?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Take the weatherstrip off, run a TINY bead of this around the edge. Then wait about 3 minutes and put the weatherstrip back on. It’s very secure now.
Great suggestion mine came loose the last time I took the cover off.. (y)

Ordered some... :coffee:

jbsbama

Reaction score
I installed the RAM Air last week a few days before I installed the Mopar cat back. Honestly, I couldn’t tell a difference in sound, response, or power. If you look at the intake locations, it really doesn’t allow for more air because the openings together are about the same size as the stock opening. Also, where it’s pulling air from looks less effective IMO.

The Mopar cat back on the other hand, also easy to install is very nice. IMO it’s a much more refined sound compared to Borla or Carven. There’s absolutely no popping, clicking, snapping, etc. from backdraft like you’ll hear in those others. Just a deep smooth rumble when you step on it but quieter when cruising which I like. I’m very impressed with the Mopar cat back.

I would say the cat back is worth every penny. The air intake just makes your engine bay look cool for $700.

Looking into Pedal Commander next to get rid of that delay

Last edited:

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Honestly I didn’t do anything before or after any of those two were installed. Just put them on and have enjoyed them since.

kliffy77

Reaction score
How many have compared hp, etc on the dyno before and after installing the CAI?

My K&N gave me a solid 12HP in hot day, Iv'e been wondering about the Ram airflow is it worth the price? Any gains over a quality 3rd party CAI? Thanks!

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My K&N gave me a solid 12HP in hot day, Iv'e been wondering about the Ram airflow is it worth the price? Any gains over a quality 3rd party CAI? Thanks!
You are getting a solid 30 HP gain with the Ram Air.

The power increases as your speed increases like a power-band.

Forced Air Induction..

jbsbama

Reaction score
You are getting a solid 30 HP gain with the Ram Air.

The power increases as your speed increases like a power-band.

Forced Air Induction..
There is no proof of that. Where are you getting that number from?

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry...but if you're happy...I'm happy...I still don't buy it. I, too, have installed Volant, K&N and AirAid on past trucks over the years. Unless you do a free-flow exhaust and a tune, all the CAI does is make more noise and breathe a bit easier. I fully understand that after you spent $800 you are looking for something to justify the cost. Enjoy and I'll stick with my stock intake with a free flow filter and the carbon mesh cut out along with my PC which is absolutely AMAZING!
True. Any engine is basically just an air pump. If the intake and outflow aren't tuned together, no real gain is achieved. The problem with any off the shelf is that it is a compromise of performance and fuel efficiency. Ram has fair performance, and fair efficiency with their design, but if you want more of one, you have to sacrifice the other in most cases. Can it be made better with after market changes, yes. But seat of the pants and noise along with personal opinion don't prove much. Put it on a dino and lets see real time results.
But, then again, if it feels good, do it and enjoy. Tinkering is in our blood.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is no proof of that. Where are you getting that number from?
Mopar makes no claim on the HP gain. They just tell you it is for "off road use only".

However, Vararam does make a claim and the design and efficiency is basically the same.

Vararam.png

Users who are viewing this thread