5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar’s “Ram Airflow” Cold-Air Intake System For Ram 1500:

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Mopar makes no claim on the HP gain. They just tell you it is for "off road use only".

However, Vararam does make a claim and the design and efficiency is basically the same.

View attachment 61646
Try to get the details from them on exactly how that was measured and at what air speed and RPM it will take to get you to these totally unrealistic numbers that encompass 0.01% of the way a normal person drives. I have seen YouTube videos that DEBUNK these statements as they demonstrate what truly HAS to happen to achieve these numbers. I realize you're a huge CAI fan, and that's ok, but to believe all this marketing hype is just plain foolish.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You had a before and after DYNO???
I do not believe a dyno is going to give you an accurate assessment of the Ram Airflow.

For you to realize the full potential of the Ram Airflow design the truck needs to be in motion and have the kinetic energy of the motion of the truck as well as the density and pressure created by the forced air induction as you increase in speed.

A fan blowing on the truck is not going to simulate that unless you are in a wind tunnel while performing the dyno test.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I do not believe a dyno is going to give you an accurate assessment of the Ram Airflow.

For you to realize the full potential of the Ram Airflow design the truck needs to be in motion and have the kinetic energy of the motion of the truck as well as the density and pressure created by the forced air induction as you increase in speed.

A fan blowing on the truck is not going to simulate that unless you are in a wind tunnel while performing the dyno test.
Do you know how these manufacturers test their CAI's? With a HUGE BIGASS FAN directly in front of the radiator pushing as much air as they can into the front of the vehicle. So, please tell me again how you know that you'll get 12 or 30hp out of unit? Because someone told you so? Not trying to be an @$$, I just like a good debate as 99% of folks know these devices do nothing on a NA engine without a nice tune and a free flow exhaust. Fortunately, for all of us, the RAM OEM set-up is already as close as you can get to a free flowing exhaust. Just change out the muffler to a straight through design and you're there. As another member stated, you put this on a turbo engine and now we're talking!!!

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
First off the mopar intake is a very nice intake but a little pricey for my taste but each their own. I'm sure some people will tell me I'm crazy for the money I spend on my work tools. With that said anyone that believes it increases performance by 30 HP. Notice the magic words UP TO. . I bet if you ask companies like Varamm for clarification they will dance around the specification claims and even make statements that engine tuning is required to generate that kind of gain. Mopar doesn't make a claim because it can't be backed up. I'm hot saying it won't increase any HP but no where near 30 hp. Not trying to start a war but just being realistic. Trust me if Mopar could back up HP claims such as made by Varamm simply bolting on a different intake they would because it would help increase sales(they could still say its for off road use).

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you know how these manufacturers test their CAI's? With a HUGE BIGASS FAN directly in front of the radiator pushing as much air as they can into the front of the vehicle. So, please tell me again how you know that you'll get 12 or 30hp out of unit? Because someone told you so? Not trying to be an @$$, I just like a good debate as 99% of folks know these devices do nothing on a NA engine without a nice tune and a free flow exhaust. Fortunately, for all of us, the RAM OEM set-up is already as close as you can get to a free flowing exhaust. Just change out the muffler to a straight through design and you're there. As another member stated, you put this on a turbo engine and now we're talking!!!
If this air design was on a turbo you would to drive in 4WD mode all of the time. (y)

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mopar makes no claim on the HP gain. They just tell you it is for "off road use only".

However, Vararam does make a claim and the design and efficiency is basically the same.

View attachment 61646
I've read the propaganda on Vararams website...the fact that they make all of those claims about an oiled filter that costs half as much as a Mopar one is no doubt misleading. +30/35 torque with no tune or exhaust upgrade???? AND oil that won't effect the MAF???? Come on....makes more sense to spend the extra money on the Mopar one that doesn't give false claims lol.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score

This is true to a point. But keep in mind that a CAI is supposed to increase air intake regardless of the vehicle being in motion or not. There is VERY little forced induction going on unless you're driving about 80+mph...as previously mentioned. Even then....you might get the equivalent of MAYBE .5 PSI.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You are getting a solid 30 HP gain with the Ram Air.

The power increases as your speed increases like a power-band.

Forced Air Induction..
Alright all of you CAI fans...read and weep. This is off of Vararams website. It's the fine print on power gain from THEIR intake (.176 psi added at WOT which is like 3 Torque/3 HP gain....

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not to gang up on people who think their CAI’s improve anything that they can measure or feel on their naturally aspirated hemi’s....... but I just hope no one reads this thread and drops hundreds of dollars on a CAI with the expectation that it’ll do anything other than make noise. These products have enough marketing bs on their websites, I felt like such an idiot when I got a K&N Blackhawk for my 4th gen and realized it didn’t do anything other than throw an intermittent check engine light for an evap leak, barely make any extra noise (it was supposed to be SO LOUD per people on the forums), and probably void my power train warranty if I took it to a dealer with it on for any engine issue. I took it off and returned it lol waste of $400 and a headache.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Alright all of you CAI fans...read and weep. This is off of Vararams website. It's the fine print on power gain from THEIR intake (.176 psi added at WOT which is like 3 Torque/3 HP gain....
Actually the article on Vararam's website supports their claim:

"Technically you begin to see boost on a 6000 RPM motor that produces 350 HP, which is pressure being put or packed back in to the manifold, at around 50 MPH. The pressure created here is small but it is exponential, meaning it will rise by the square of the speed that you are traveling and will depend on the ram air systems design as to its efficiency at each given speed and the RPM's of the motor.

Your system's efficiency will determine how much of a benefit you get from this. But in any case it will lead to quicker cylinder filling and quicker acceleration. You must remember that this is exponential so at 100 MPH you would be looking at +.176 PSI above atmosphere.

This again seems small but your goal is to get the system back to 1 atmosphere or more in real world conditions, not on a dyno as the loads and test conditions are different."

Air Density: Cold Air and Ram Airflow Power Gains

Most people who doubt Ram Airflow think it is merely a Cold Air Intake (CAI) delivering a cooler denser air to the motor, are not realizing that as your vehicle speed increases the CFM flow increases and the Air Pressure also increases.

Well, it is a combination of CFM Air Flow and Air Density / Pressure caused by lower air temps or altitudes. Once again this is a system and application dependent but generally they say that every 10 degree drop in air temperature is worth about 2 HP.

We are talking about a Mass Airflow Meter controlled vehicle that will tune or adjust to the weather conditions for you. When in cooler weather the PCM will not back the timing out of the motor as quickly and it will make the truck run richer and to some degree will take advantage of the added air, basically tuning the car for you. This is worth more than the 2 HP you are seeing it at peak power. It translates into a lot more power under the curve. Air Flow Rate, Air Pressure and Air Density is our priority. If you had to prioritize them in order you would be making a mistake. They all work together.

Air Flow Rate
Air Density
Air Pressure

You need all of them in order to achieve a significant boost in power because once combined you can realize a 10-12% increase in power at only 100 MPH.

What is 10 % of 395 HP?

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not to gang up on people who think their CAI’s improve anything that they can measure or feel on their naturally aspirated hemi’s....... but I just hope no one reads this thread and drops hundreds of dollars on a CAI with the expectation that it’ll do anything other than make noise. These products have enough marketing bs on their websites, I felt like such an idiot when I got a K&N Blackhawk for my 4th gen and realized it didn’t do anything other than throw an intermittent check engine light for an evap leak, barely make any extra noise (it was supposed to be SO LOUD per people on the forums), and probably void my power train warranty if I took it to a dealer with it on for any engine issue. I took it off and returned it lol waste of $400 and a headache.

I agree with you on CAI (Cold Air Intakes) they make a lot of noise and do not give you the performance.

That is the reason I did not buy one for this truck.

I did not see any improvements on my other trucks or vehicles except for a slight throttle response improvement at a dead start.

You actually cannot compare a CAI (Cold Air Intake) to a RAM Air (Forced Air Induction);

This is a version of a Ram Airflow on a formula one car:
Ram Airflow Design.jpeg

Yes this is a much better design but same concept as the RAM AIrflow on our trucks.

This is a Cold Air Intake:
maxperformance.jpg

Like comparing apples to oranges. :unsure:

RAM_AIRFLOW_PATRIOT.png

Last edited:

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here’s a YouTube video of a 4th gen 2019 on the dyno running 4 pulls. Just found it interesting and at least somewhat relevant to the discussion.

1 stock
2 K&N cold air intake
3 K&N + muffler delete
4 K&N + muffler delete + pulsar

Bearman95

Reaction score
Well you guys believe what you want but I know that since I put my Ram air on the truck, My truck has more giddyup and go for sure! Just like I know that when I put a Pedal Commander on their months ago it had more giddyup and go! I don’t think I’ve heard of one of you speak from any Personal experience of actually having put the Mopar ram air on your truck! I’m not talking about another type of ram air I’m talking about the Mopar . My truck has more giddyup and go for sure! Just like I know that when I put a Pedal Commander on their months ago it had more giddyup and go! I don’t think I’ve heard one of you that has made negative comments speak from any personal experience of actually having put the Mopar ram air on your truck! I’m not talking about another type of CIA , I’m talking about the Mopar Ram air! End of discussion for me! Y’all have a good day!

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Uh, guys...the 5.7L HEMI doesn’t use a MAF sensor. So I wouldn’t base any arguments about oiled vs dry filters (or any claim by, say, an intake manufacturer) that references a MAF sensor as being worth your consideration. You might want to read up on Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensors, though.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Uh, guys...the 5.7L HEMI doesn’t use a MAF sensor. So I wouldn’t base any arguments about oiled vs dry filters (or any claim by, say, an intake manufacturer) that references a MAF sensor as being worth your consideration. You might want to read up on Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensors, though.
The MAP sensor also determines the air flow rate:

"A vehicle's manifold pressure sensor, or manifold absolute pressure sensor (MAP), is part of an engine's electronic control system. ... The ECU uses the data to calculate density and determine the engine's air mass flow rate, which helps the computer determine the amount of fuel needed to create optimum combustion."

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I know that I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again, at no point did I think getting this would increase my power. I wanted what I wanted and I got it. The great part is I’m happy with it and I do not in any way climb on a soap box telling folks they HAVE to buy this. In fact when people pm me I tell them exactly how I feel about it and let them determine for themselves.
Not everything is for everyone which is great as then we all have varied options as to what we put or take off of our vehicles.

We can go back and forth about proof for and against, but where has that gotten us so far ? If someone comes on a forum and they read where driving with your eyes cLose will gain you more torque, well you know the rest. It’s called research for a reason and if you trust what you read every time on a forum you aren’t doing your due diligence.

Users who are viewing this thread