5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar’s “Ram Airflow” Cold-Air Intake System For Ram 1500:

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Well you guys believe what you want but I know that since I put my Ram air on the truck, My truck has more giddyup and go for sure! Just like I know that when I put a Pedal Commander on their months ago it had more giddyup and go! I don’t think I’ve heard of one of you speak from any Personal experience of actually having put the Mopar ram air on your truck! I’m not talking about another type of ram air I’m talking about the Mopar . My truck has more giddyup and go for sure! Just like I know that when I put a Pedal Commander on their months ago it had more giddyup and go! I don’t think I’ve heard one of you that has made negative comments speak from any personal experience of actually having put the Mopar ram air on your truck! I’m not talking about another type of CIA , I’m talking about the Mopar Ram air! End of discussion for me! Y’all have a good day!
Well, you can believe what you want but if you're happy...then we're all happy for you ;) Good day my friend!

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The MAP sensor also determines the air flow rate:

"A vehicle's manifold pressure sensor, or manifold absolute pressure sensor (MAP), is part of an engine's electronic control system. ... The ECU uses the data to calculate density and determine the engine's air mass flow rate, which helps the computer determine the amount of fuel needed to create optimum combustion."

Yes, of course it does. But I think you're missing the point. Vararam's literature, which you quoted in an earlier post, talks about a type of sensor that doesn't exist on our trucks. That should make you question a lot of what they have to say!

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well this took a turn, anyone else purchase this lately and care to share your thoughts ?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Well this took a turn, anyone else purchase this lately and care to share your thoughts ?
Like it really matters at this point??? :ROFLMAO: Those that have it will love it. Those that don't, don't because it won't do much except look really cool:cool:

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Like it really matters at this point??? :ROFLMAO: Those that have it will love it. Those that don't, don't because it won't do much except look really cool:cool:
Stop comparing this Ram Airflow to a Cold Air Intake and saying it just looks cool.

You do not have a Ram Airflow on your truck, so your not speaking from experience.

Unless you had one on a past vehicle that you have not shared. :oops:

Ram Airflow = Forced Air Induction

Cold Air Intake = Colder Air and Better Flow

Just because the Ram Airflow uses a dry CAI type filter does not make it a Cold Air Intake.

Apples and Oranges as I have stated before. :rolleyes:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Stop comparing this Ram Airflow to a Cold Air Intake and saying it just looks cool.

You do not have a Ram Airflow on your truck, so your not speaking from experience.

Just because the Ram Airflow uses a dry CAI type filter does not make it a Cold Air Intake.

You do mean the Ram Airflow Cold Air Intake (the official part name from Mopar), right? See: https://store.mopar.com/accessories...ntake_systems/cold_air_intake_77072428AB.html

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score

OK...if you really believe that the RAM Air will be much different than any other CAI, I will respect that. There are many of us that also have the right to our opinion as well, even though we recognize that you will disagree as we do with you. You can say you're right and we can all say that we're right...nothing will change. Personally, my belief is that you can call it whatever you want...FORCED AIR INDUCTION does sounds cool...really cool. Funny how MOPAR calls it a CAI. However, I would agree that the "forced air" aspect of its design may be a bit better than a typical CAI. I don't have to buy and install one to know that I won't get $750 worth of additional performance or enjoyment out of it. For the money, my PC gives me a HUGE smile every time I step on the gas. As an engineer, with a highly scientific background, I understand physics and mechanics very well. We can just agree to disagree and, all that matters at the end of the day, is that you are happy with your purchase and feel you got your monies worth ;)

Last edited:

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
OK...if you really believe that the RAM Air will be much different than any other CAI, I will respect that. There are many of us that also have the right to our opinion as well, even though we recognize that you will disagree as we do with you. You can say you're right and we can all say that we're right...nothing will change. Personally, my belief is that you can call it whatever you want...FORCED AIR INDUCTION does sounds cool...really cool. Funny how MOPAR calls it a CAI. However, I would agree that the "forced air" aspect of its design may be a bit better than a typical CAI. I don't have to buy and install one to know that I won't get $750 worth of additional performance or enjoyment out of it. For the money, my PC gives me a HUGE smile every time I step on the gas. As an engineer, with a highly scientific background, I understand physics and mechanics very well. We can just agree to disagree and, all that matters at the end of the day, is that you are happy with your purchase and feel you got your monies worth ;)
I'm am engineer as well.

If you are not interested in facts about RAM Airflow why did you watch this Thread.

I thought the point of the thread was for members to share their experiences and knowledge about the Ram Airflow.

But perhaps this thread was suppose to be titled: The PC Pedal Commander is Better than buying a Ram Airflow:

See securityguy for details.. :whistle:

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm am engineer as well.

If you are not interested in facts about RAM Airflow why did you watch this Thread.

I thought the point of the thread was for members to share their experiences and knowledge about the Ram Airflow.

But perhaps this thread was suppose to be titled: The PC Pedal Commander is Better than buying a Ram Airflow:

See securityguy for details.. :whistle:
AWESOME response my friend...BRAVO!!! I gave you an out in my last post and said we can agree to disagree, but you just have to keep coming at me. I like your tenacity;) So, please allow me to answer your question. I like to look at all threads...as do most members, whether we are interested in buying one or not. I have a ton of experience with CAI's over the last 25 years and I just like to call out BS when I see it...it's a character flaw:rolleyes: My mention of the PC is very relevant as it does provide an increase in throttle response that cannot be denied. I LOVE that you are willing to retitle the thread on my behalf...I can share a ton of details for those that are interested:giggle: I'll try, once again, to leave it at this. If you're happy and "feel" the performance, that's all that matters, but you bought a fancy version of a S&B or K&N CAI or "FORCED INDUCTION SUPER DUPER RAM AIRFLOW" if that's how you wish to refer to it.

Have a great night my friend and I'll bail out of this conversation for now unless you compel me to rejoin:)

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Actually the article on Vararam's website supports their claim:

"Technically you begin to see boost on a 6000 RPM motor that produces 350 HP, which is pressure being put or packed back in to the manifold, at around 50 MPH. The pressure created here is small but it is exponential, meaning it will rise by the square of the speed that you are traveling and will depend on the ram air systems design as to its efficiency at each given speed and the RPM's of the motor.

Your system's efficiency will determine how much of a benefit you get from this. But in any case it will lead to quicker cylinder filling and quicker acceleration. You must remember that this is exponential so at 100 MPH you would be looking at +.176 PSI above atmosphere.

This again seems small but your goal is to get the system back to 1 atmosphere or more in real world conditions, not on a dyno as the loads and test conditions are different."

Air Density: Cold Air and Ram Airflow Power Gains

Most people who doubt Ram Airflow think it is merely a Cold Air Intake (CAI) delivering a cooler denser air to the motor, are not realizing that as your vehicle speed increases the CFM flow increases and the Air Pressure also increases.

Well, it is a combination of CFM Air Flow and Air Density / Pressure caused by lower air temps or altitudes. Once again this is a system and application dependent but generally they say that every 10 degree drop in air temperature is worth about 2 HP.

We are talking about a Mass Airflow Meter controlled vehicle that will tune or adjust to the weather conditions for you. When in cooler weather the PCM will not back the timing out of the motor as quickly and it will make the truck run richer and to some degree will take advantage of the added air, basically tuning the car for you. This is worth more than the 2 HP you are seeing it at peak power. It translates into a lot more power under the curve. Air Flow Rate, Air Pressure and Air Density is our priority. If you had to prioritize them in order you would be making a mistake. They all work together.

Air Flow Rate
Air Density
Air Pressure

You need all of them in order to achieve a significant boost in power because once combined you can realize a 10-12% increase in power at only 100 MPH.

What is 10 % of 395 HP?
Who in the hell drives around at 100mph everyday? Lol.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The MAP sensor also determines the air flow rate:

"A vehicle's manifold pressure sensor, or manifold absolute pressure sensor (MAP), is part of an engine's electronic control system. ... The ECU uses the data to calculate density and determine the engine's air mass flow rate, which helps the computer determine the amount of fuel needed to create optimum combustion."

Thank you. He obviously didn't understand that I meant the equivalent of a MAF lol. Oiled vs dry will always be part of a air intake debate. I still think your thoughts on CAI vs Short Ram intake are valid though, regardless of the lack of power gains in my opinion. I still wanna try the Mopar one just for the hell of it :geek:

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, of course it does. But I think you're missing the point. Vararam's literature, which you quoted in an earlier post, talks about a type of sensor that doesn't exist on our trucks. That should make you question a lot of what they have to say!
Actually; I was the one who made the comment about the MAF....but obviously it's the MAP, and rest of the internals that can be effected by the oiled filters. Splitting hairs is a sign of running out of info to share in an argument :ROFLMAO: and yes...oiled filters = crap.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Who in the hell drives around at 100mph everyday? Lol.
Your missing the point, More Horsepower is produced the faster you go.

Therefore it has the potential of 30 HP gain at 100 HP.

So, when you are driving at lower speeds less horsepower realized.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
AWESOME response my friend...BRAVO!!! I gave you an out in my last post and said we can agree to disagree, but you just have to keep coming at me. I like your tenacity;) So, please allow me to answer your question. I like to look at all threads...as do most members, whether we are interested in buying one or not. I have a ton of experience with CAI's over the last 25 years and I just like to call out BS when I see it...it's a character flaw:rolleyes: My mention of the PC is very relevant as it does provide an increase in throttle response that cannot be denied. I LOVE that you are willing to retitle the thread on my behalf...I can share a ton of details for those that are interested:giggle: I'll try, once again, to leave it at this. If you're happy and "feel" the performance, that's all that matters, but you bought a fancy version of a S&B or K&N CAI or "FORCED INDUCTION SUPER DUPER RAM AIRFLOW" if that's how you wish to refer to it.

Have a great night my friend and I'll bail out of this conversation for now unless you compel me to rejoin:)
Since we have renamed this sticky thread to: The PC Pedal Commander is Better than buying a Ram Airflow: for securityguy.

Let's examine the performance and horsepower gained from the Pedal Commander (PC).

A quick look at the FAQ page on Pedal Commander website will show you that 0 HP is gained for your $300 investment.
PC_HP.png

So will the Pedal Commander improve your 0 - 60 MPH or 0 -100 MPH? (Answer Maybe) Depends on your driving skills.

See video below:

Basically the Pedal Commander is just remapping your throttle to make it more sensitive.
So you can put it on Sport+ Mode and when you barely touch the throttle or pedal in your truck it would be like already having the pedal or throttle half way down. :p

For those of us that like the throttle the way it is and when we decide to wake the beast we put the pedal to the metal. (y):cool:

So to summarize:
Pedal Commander 0 HP Gains.
Ram AirFlow 30+ HP possible.

I believe I made a better performance investment purchasing the Ram Airflow.

But as you told me securityguy. As long as your happy, I'm happy. ;)

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Since we have renamed this sticky thread to: The PC Pedal Commander is Better than buying a Ram Airflow: for securityguy.

Let's examine the performance and horsepower gained from the Pedal Commander (PC).

A quick look at the FAQ page on Pedal Commander website will show you that 0 HP is gained for your $300 investment.
View attachment 61742

So will the Pedal Commander improve your 0 - 60 MPH or 0 -100 MPH? (Answer Maybe) Depends on your driving skills.

See video below:

Basically the Pedal Commander is just remapping your throttle to make it more sensitive.
So you can put it on Sport+ Mode and when you barely touch the throttle or pedal in your truck it would be like already having the pedal or throttle half way down. :p

For those of us that like the throttle the way it is and when we decide to wake the beast we put the pedal to the metal. (y):cool:

So to summarize:
Pedal Commander 0 HP Gains.
Ram AirFlow 30+ HP possible.

I believe I made a better performance investment purchasing the Ram Airflow.

But as you told me securityguy. As long as your happy, I'm happy. ;)
no one ever claimed or argued that the pedal commander makes more horsepower technically speaking.... it clearly doesn't. What we ARE saying is that is opens up the truck to it's full potential, whereas the factory throttle mapping doesn't. It takes a long time on the stock throttle mapping for the truck to actually be fully "floored" or whatever you want to call it. So yes, you're not "making more power" with the PC, but you're getting ALL of the HP that's available right away

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I fully understand the differences between a CAI and a PC...I don't need your videos or FAQ's to help me understand that or to patronize the forum members as ignorant to these facts. My ONLY point about the PC...and if you'll read my posts, and many many others, you would have understood that. It very simply allows one to adjust the throttle sensitivity...period! Any additional HP gains?...NOPE! No one EVER said that it did :unsure: We all know what you posted above and don't need your useless detail to reinforce what we all already know. This truck has HORRIBLE throttle response and no one on this forum will suggest otherwise. It has been a topic on here for quite sometime. The PC, or the Sprint units, help remove all throttle lag and allow you to dial in the exact response you want from your truck when you hit the accelerator. Mine is at SPORT +1. It WAKES this truck up in an amazing way which is exactly why the people that buy them buy them. You can continue to believe that your FORCED AIR INDUCTION SYSTEM (eg. cold air intake) is doing something meaningful as it relates to throttle response and I am totally fine with that. I think the facts you posted earlier only prove it does NOTHING at launch and ONLY starts to do anything, if even measurable, well above 50mph and not really much at all until you hit 100mph. Why was the issue of the PC brought up in the first place? Because it is the only modification that HELPS AT LAUNCH and gives this truck a kick in the @$$ that it truly needs!!! I think you need to give up arguing on the topic as the more you post the dummer you appear. But if you're happy with that, I'm happy ;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread