5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar’s “Ram Airflow” Cold-Air Intake System For Ram 1500:

Blueraptor

Reaction score
I, as an Engineer, do clearly understand exactly what it is. What is does is it WAKE'S THE HE** OUT OF THIS TRUCK!!! I can assure you that a CAI only, will do nothing to enhance your performance and a "couple" of HP on a 400hp truck is nada.

Have you tried one? I, too, was very skeptical at first. I bought one and it's the best money I ever spent and you will not know what you are truly missing unless you try one.

A couple HP from a CAI alone is still a couple more than you will ever see from the PC alone.

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know all the PC talk is off the topic of the original post but I have never understood the hype. It is a potentiometer and a couple resistors in some fancy packaging with a marketing budget, nothing more. It adds no power, it only increases the voltage seen from a given throttle input. At least with a CAI it could potentially free up a couple HP, there is no chance of that with a PC.
Couldn’t agree more, my right foot commands the pedal pretty well but since “I don’t actually own one” I’ll take the high road and not bash on the PC.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
The PC has a 30-day MB guarantee...for those that have never tried it, you should. It will change the way the truck feels and you will enjoy driving it more. This is the way the truck should have come from the factory. The stock throttle lag is far too high...the PC gives you like 32 different settings to FINE TUNE your throttle to be just the way you like it. Took me several days of driving and playing but I found my sweet spot which is SPORT +1.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The PC has a 30-day MB guarantee...for those that have never tried it, you should. It will change the way the truck feels and you will enjoy driving it more. This is the way the truck should have come from the factory. The stock throttle lag is far too high...the PC gives you like 32 different settings to FINE TUNE your throttle to be just the way you like it. Took me several days of driving and playing but I found my sweet spot which is SPORT +1.
This is a thread to discuss the RAM Airflow.

Perhaps you should post your thoughts about the PC here:

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
My post is totally relevant and I don't need you to tell me where I can and can't post...with all due respect of course ;)

IceStormz

Reaction score
The Ram Airflow is real nice, but it's so expensive for what you get in return. Granted it will probably void the warranty, but you can get an unlocked PCM for that kind of money and that's way more bang for the buck

All Mopar aftermarket accessories do not void your warranty as long as the dealership installs it. Which is why it's so expensive.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
As an owner of most of the things you folks have discussed I can openly say I did not install any of it with the mindset I would get more power. The Mopar Ram Airintake I wanted for the look, the Mopar catback I wanted for its sound and I liked the fact they all both covered under warranty. I’ve had the PC, Sprint Booster, multiple cai and have liked them all for what they do. Far be it for me to tell you folks what to do with your money. As most can attest to when I swap things out, I post what I had for sale at reduced prices with no complaints so far.

We can discuss all day long what it does / doesn’t but the bottom line is unless we are paying for what folks are putting in their trucks, we really have no say. Now upon saying that I’m going to duck behind my sofa in preparation for the retorts that will be hurled my way lol.... :)

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
As an owner of most of the things you folks have discussed I can openly say I did not install any of it with the mindset I would get more power. The Mopar Ram Airintake I wanted for the look, the Mopar catback I wanted for its sound and I liked the fact they all both covered under warranty. I’ve had the PC, Sprint Booster, multiple cai and have liked them all for what they do. Far be it for me to tell you folks what to do with your money. As most can attest to when I swap things out, I post what I had for sale at reduced prices with no complaints so far.

We can discuss all day long what it does / doesn’t but the bottom line is unless we are paying for what folks are putting in their trucks, we really have no say. Now upon saying that I’m going to duck behind my sofa in preparation for the retorts that will be hurled my way lol.... :)
No negativity coming from me my friend. I think your statement is SPOT ON and well stated!

Scram1500

Reaction score
All Mopar aftermarket accessories do not void your warranty as long as the dealership installs it. Which is why it's so expensive.
Actually per the Magnuson Moss act you can install the Mopar upgrades yourself, unless they can prove without a doubt the install caused a failure or damage

PorBoy

Reaction score
My dealership had ni problem with me installing mine, they just made me such a great offer till it was better for them to do it. :)

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry guys...but I do not buy the fact that installing any CAI will make that significant a difference. Will it help the engine breath a bit easier? Yes. Will it have a different sound? Yes. Will you see increases if used in conjunction with a tune? Yes. Will it show any increased signs of performance as a stand alone modification...NO. Simple physics as the HP and TQ increases seen by installing a CAI is minimal and any minimal enhancements don't kick in until the engine sees significant air flow which does not happen when sitting at a RED light ;)
From the horses mouth:

"Cold Air Intake Systems increase airflow, power, and torque. The bolt-on design allows cooler outside air in through a cone filter and funnels it directly into the intake manifold. Made of dry media, filters are high-flow, low-restriction, and washable/reusable."

This bolt-on system is designed to allow cooler outside air in through a directional cone filter and funnel it directly into the intake manifold. This kit provides noticeable horsepower and torque gains under varying atmospheric conditions.

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Actually per the Magnuson Moss act you can install the Mopar upgrades yourself, unless they can prove without a doubt the install caused a failure or damage
you're 100% correct, however this isn't a fight im ever willing to get into with a dealer/FCA. FCA's budget for legal fee's > Mine. My experience with FCA service techs has been god awful

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No negativity coming from me my friend. I think your statement is SPOT ON and well stated!
this thread, and everyones views on the PC vs air intake is interesting.... i think everyone should read this conversation if they're debating between the two of these.
I've been interested in the PC, but dont know enough about it. My understanding is that the stock tuning/throttle response of the RAM is that even though you "floor" the gas pedal, there's quite a bit of time until when the truck actually opens all the way up. So even though everyone here is arguing that the PC doesn't increase HP (which it doesn't), it let's you get more out of the truck right away. Realistically, i only floor the truck if im getting on the highway. In a few seconds, im already speeding, so maybe my truck isn't even fully opened up by the time i let off the gas? maybe i've never actually felt my truck 100% floored before even though the pedals to the floor?
Please correct me if im incorrect about any of this

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
From the horses mouth:

"Cold Air Intake Systems increase airflow, power, and torque. The bolt-on design allows cooler outside air in through a cone filter and funnels it directly into the intake manifold. Made of dry media, filters are high-flow, low-restriction, and washable/reusable."

This bolt-on system is designed to allow cooler outside air in through a directional cone filter and funnel it directly into the intake manifold. This kit provides noticeable horsepower and torque gains under varying atmospheric conditions.

Pure MARKETING my friend...pure MARKETING!!!

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
this thread, and everyones views on the PC vs air intake is interesting.... i think everyone should read this conversation if they're debating between the two of these.
I've been interested in the PC, but dont know enough about it. My understanding is that the stock tuning/throttle response of the RAM is that even though you "floor" the gas pedal, there's quite a bit of time until when the truck actually opens all the way up. So even though everyone here is arguing that the PC doesn't increase HP (which it doesn't), it let's you get more out of the truck right away. Realistically, i only floor the truck if im getting on the highway. In a few seconds, im already speeding, so maybe my truck isn't even fully opened up by the time i let off the gas? maybe i've never actually felt my truck 100% floored before even though the pedals to the floor?
The PC will remove all throttle lag and make the truck far more responsive and fun to drive. Once you have one, and dial it in to your liking, you will never look back. Everytime I step on the gas, it puts a smile on my face :D

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pure MARKETING my friend...pure MARKETING!!!
The PC will remove all throttle lag and make the truck far more responsive and fun to drive. Once you have one, and dial it in to your liking, you will never look back. Everytime I step on the gas, it puts a smile on my face :D
thank you. im shocked that the debate on CAI's and stock tunes is still even a thing, especially on our NA motors. They do nothing other than make noise lol been there, done that. Now, if we're talking CAI's and tunes on a turbo motor....

DraKhen99

Reaction score

You want a funny one? The 2009-2015? Nissan Maxima had a detent built into the throttle pedal. If you "floored" it, you only got up to 5,400 RPMs and it tramlined like a sonofagun. If you pushed harder, past the detent, you got the full 100% throttle, around 6,000 RPMs, and it went like stink. It was not advertised but someone on the forums found it (I had a 2010 Maxima at the time), and it would make me giggle when I did it. Flash forward to last year, and a woman at work bought the same gen Maxima and I told her about it. She wanted to hug me the next day, it made her giggle when she ACTUALLY floored it!

-John

Blueraptor

Reaction score
You want a funny one? The 2009-2015? Nissan Maxima had a detent built into the throttle pedal. If you "floored" it, you only got up to 5,400 RPMs and it tramlined like a sonofagun. If you pushed harder, past the detent, you got the full 100% throttle, around 6,000 RPMs, and it went like stink. It was not advertised but someone on the forums found it (I had a 2010 Maxima at the time), and it would make me giggle when I did it. Flash forward to last year, and a woman at work bought the same gen Maxima and I told her about it. She wanted to hug me the next day, it made her giggle when she ACTUALLY floored it!

-John
I'm pretty sure all Nissan's with the CVT transmission have this. I have experienced this on Maxima's Altima's Pathfinder's and Rogue's. I also don't understand the combination of the CVT and Paddle shifters that they like to use, my current Altima has this and it is absolutely pointless.

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score

-John
I'm pretty sure all Nissan's with the CVT transmission have this. I have experienced this on Maxima's Altima's Pathfinder's and Rogue's. I also don't understand the combination of the CVT and Paddle shifters that they like to use, my current Altima has this and it is absolutely pointless.
that's funny. my girlfriend's 2019 VW Tiguan has a little button under the gas pedal that you can click when you floor it, goes a little faster when you do that lol

Users who are viewing this thread