5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar’s “Ram Airflow” Cold-Air Intake System For Ram 1500:

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Installed mine this week. The throttle response is definitely improved. It’s noticeable. I actually spun the tires a bit today on dry pavement completely by accident. Wasn’t deep in the throttle, just pressed down quickly. Never did that before.
I had the same experience. (Tire Spin) Even more so on wet pavement. I have to turn on Auto 4WD when I'm pulling out in traffic and it's raining.

Huge improvement. ;)

BmoreStew

Reaction score
You want real throttle response...get a Pedal Commander ;)
I’ve got the airflow AND a Pedal Commander and I’ve had the pedal commander off for the most part since I installed the airflow. The improved throttle response that came with the airflow just feels more natural.

I think the pedal commander is a fine option especially when it comes to price, but I never liked the increased pedal sensitivity. I couldn’t get over how artificial it felt to move pedal sensitivity up and down. I don’t want 100% throttle until the pedal hits the floor, like god intended!

DraKhen99

Reaction score
How hard are you guys accelerating from a stop? My truck will spin the tires completely across an intersection... if I romp on it. If I accelerate normally, no tire spin.

-John

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Sorry guys...but I do not buy the fact that installing any CAI will make that significant a difference. Will it help the engine breath a bit easier? Yes. Will it have a different sound? Yes. Will you see increases if used in conjunction with a tune? Yes. Will it show any increased signs of performance as a stand alone modification...NO. Simple physics as the HP and TQ increases seen by installing a CAI is minimal and any minimal enhancements don't kick in until the engine sees significant air flow which does not happen when sitting at a RED light ;)

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The Ram Airflow is real nice, but it's so expensive for what you get in return. Granted it will probably void the warranty, but you can get an unlocked PCM for that kind of money and that's way more bang for the buck

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How hard are you guys accelerating from a stop? My truck will spin the tires completely across an intersection... if I romp on it. If I accelerate normally, no tire spin.

-John
I'm comparing to before the installation of the RAM Airflow I did not have the tire spin under normal acceleration on wet pavement but now I do with the same acceleration.

Of course it would smoke the tires under full throttle, that is not what I'm referring to.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry guys...but I do not buy the fact that installing any CAI will make that significant a difference. Will it help the engine breath a bit easier? Yes. Will it have a different sound? Yes. Will you see increases if used in conjunction with a tune? Yes. Will it show any increased signs of performance as a stand alone modification...NO. Simple physics as the HP and TQ increases seen by installing a CAI is minimal and any minimal enhancements don't kick in until the engine sees significant air flow which does not happen when sitting at a RED light ;)
I have had improved throttle response from other CAI on past vehicles. (K&N, AFE) and have noticed improved throttle response especially from a dead stop with all of them.

However, I'm noticing more torque and throttle response from the RAM Airflow.

But, don't take my word for it. Put one on your truck and see for yourself. You will not need the Pedal Commander, and as BmoreStew said the accelerator will be more fluid and not touchy or sensitive.

BmoreStew

Reaction score

you’re right on all points. The only significant improvement I‘ve seen is the increase in throttle response. Stock, the time it takes the engine to wake up when you floor it is obscene. That went away with the airflow. Worth $900? Nope, but the thing is already installed sooooo......

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have had improved throttle response from other CAI on past vehicles. (K&N, AFE) and have noticed improved throttle response especially from a dead stop with all of them.

However, I'm noticing more torque and throttle response from the RAM Airflow.

But, don't take my word for it. Put one on your truck and see for yourself. You will not need the Pedal Commander, and as BmoreStew said the accelerator will be more fluid and not touchy or sensitive.
Sorry...but if you're happy...I'm happy...I still don't buy it. I, too, have installed Volant, K&N and AirAid on past trucks over the years. Unless you do a free-flow exhaust and a tune, all the CAI does is make more noise and breathe a bit easier. I fully understand that after you spent $800 you are looking for something to justify the cost. Enjoy and I'll stick with my stock intake with a free flow filter and the carbon mesh cut out along with my PC which is absolutely AMAZING!

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry...but if you're happy...I'm happy...I still don't buy it. I, too, have installed Volant, K&N and AirAid on past trucks over the years. Unless you do a free-flow exhaust and a tune, all the CAI does is make more noise and breathe a bit easier. I fully understand that after you spent $800 you are looking for something to justify the cost. Enjoy and I'll stick with my stock intake with a free flow filter and the carbon mesh cut out along with my PC which is absolutely AMAZING!
I will admit that I did put a B2 Fabrication (Moderate) Performance Muffler on at the same time as I did the Airflow so perhaps the combination of the two has changed the performance of the truck.

As for the tune.

When you install the RAM Airflow they instruct you to disconnect the negative terminal of the battery during the install, So that the PCM will have to Re-Learn it's new Environment. (Reprogram)

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I will admit that I did put a B2 Fabrication (Moderate) Performance Muffler on at the same time as I did the Airflow so perhaps the combination of the two has changed the performance of the truck.

As for the tune.

When you install the RAM Airflow they instruct you to disconnect the negative terminal of the battery during the install, So that the PCM will have to Re-Learn it's new Environment. (Reprogram)
The nice thing about the RAM is that the factory exhaust is already a very free flowing exhaust made out of great T409. I, too, did the B2 modification, but that will really only give you more noise and no enhanced performance. As I stated, the factory exhaust is already an awesome set-up and design. Most swap them out for the looks and the sound knowing it will do nothing more. Now, if you get a quality tune that requires the increased air flow through the intake, then, and only then, should you see or feel anything of significance.

I am happy that you like the OEM RAM CAI...it does look very nice. However, I don't drive with my hood open going down the road so no one else but me would ever see it :oops: That's why I will not spend anything more than $300 for it.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The nice thing about the RAM is that the factory exhaust is already a very free flowing exhaust made out of great T409. I, too, did the B2 modification, but that will really only give you more noise and no enhanced performance. As I stated, the factory exhaust is already an awesome set-up and design. Most swap them out for the looks and the sound knowing it will do nothing more. Now, if you get a quality tune that requires the increased air flow through the intake, then, and only then, should you see or feel anything of significance.

I am happy that you like the OEM RAM CAI...it does look very nice. However, I don't drive with my hood open going down the road so no one else but me would ever see it :oops: That's why I will not spend anything more than $300 for it.
If you would have taken the $300 you spent on the PC (Pedal Commander) and added it to your $300 CAI budget, your almost there. ;)

Bearman95

Reaction score
I hope you guys are right about the performance of the Mopar ram air! I am putting one on my Laramie sport 4 x 4 tomorrow. I could not find any videos on the installation however it should not be too hard. I do not comment on something that I have no experience with so I will let you know my opinion of the performance of the ram air after I get it installed. I also have a Pedal Commander and it is great.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I hope you guys are right about the performance of the Mopar ram air! I am putting one on my Laramie sport 4 x 4 tomorrow. I could not find any videos on the installation however it should not be too hard. I do not comment on something that I have no experience with so I will let you know my opinion of the performance of the ram air after I get it installed. I also have a Pedal Commander and it is great.
If you want an apples to apples test...then disconnect the PC before installing the RAM AIR.

Blueraptor

Reaction score
I know all the PC talk is off the topic of the original post but I have never understood the hype. It is a potentiometer and a couple resistors in some fancy packaging with a marketing budget, nothing more. It adds no power, it only increases the voltage seen from a given throttle input. At least with a CAI it could potentially free up a couple HP, there is no chance of that with a PC.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I know all the PC talk is off the topic of the original post but I have never understood the hype. It is a potentiometer and a couple resistors in some fancy packaging with a marketing budget, nothing more. It adds no power, it only increases the voltage seen from a given throttle input. At least with a CAI it could potentially free up a couple HP, there is no chance of that with a PC.
I, as an Engineer, do clearly understand exactly what it is. What is does is it WAKE'S THE HE** OUT OF THIS TRUCK!!! I can assure you that a CAI only, will do nothing to enhance your performance and a "couple" of HP on a 400hp truck is nada.

Have you tried one? I, too, was very skeptical at first. I bought one and it's the best money I ever spent and you will not know what you are truly missing unless you try one.

Users who are viewing this thread