5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

License Plate Reverse light

sergetexan

Reaction score
Dang, this has turned out to be an expensive experiment, I think vleds needs to identify known vehicles on web site that their products don’t fit

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have an active conversation going with Eli at VLEDs. I explained to him why his earlier suggestion was not really feasible. His responded back late yesterday afternoon with this:

Thank you for the update. That makes sense now. Let me talk to the guys in our R&D department when they get back on Monday and see if they have ideas as well.

I will get back to you on Monday.

I also requested that if they can't/won't update the design to fix this problem that they should at least put an advisory note on the product page, to let people know about this potential issue.

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have an active conversation going with Eli at VLEDs. I explained to him why his earlier suggestion was not really feasible. His responded back late yesterday afternoon with this:

I also requested that if they can't/won't update the design to fix this problem that they should at least put an advisory note on the product page, to let people know about this potential issue.
You must be the guy Eli referred to in my email when I wrote them as well. Hopefully they can figure something out. I like the sleek look of the light and it definitely helps at night. But I don't want to have to modify my tailgate in order to keep using it or drill new license plate holes to relocate the plate and/or the light.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You must be the guy Eli referred to in my email when I wrote them as well. Hopefully they can figure something out. I like the sleek look of the light and it definitely helps at night. But I don't want to have to modify my tailgate in order to keep using it or drill new license plate holes to relocate the plate and/or the light.

Exactly what I told him. I really doubt a state trooper would ever write me up for modifying my license plate. But, they COULD.... I don't want to modify the plate and I don't want to drill new holes in my bumper.

I'm sure they CAN modify the LPR to work with our trucks. The real question is whether they will deem it "worth it" to do so.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Side note: Thank you AGAIN to the earlier posters that pointed out how you can just squeeze the 2 big silver side clips and then push the whole trailer wiring plug out through the front of the bumper.

That tip made it a lot easier when I installed the LPR and when I removed the LPR yesterday, it literally took about 5 minutes to have it out and be back to 100% stock. The most time was just removing and replacing the screws that held the license plate and LPR on.

diamondmi

Reaction score
Would the tailgate light bar fit better and also provide more light without a fitment issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Waiting for my newly ordered 2020 Laramie Longhorn, Delmonico Red, chrome bumpers, 20” wheels, 5.7 V8 Hemi MDS VVT eTorque, 3.92 rear, all options except diesel, multifunction tailgate, protection group and trailer tow group. Interior Black/New Saddle. Looking forward to delivery. So far I’ve been given a VIN #.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So now you’re plate sits up higher than before? And the plate doesn’t touch the tailgate at all?

I'm using the same holes up top in the license plate as I was before, so it is sitting the same height as always. I had to screw in new holes in the bumper through the bottom license plate holes and VLED frame is all.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm using the same holes up top in the license plate as I was before, so it is sitting the same height as always. I had to screw in new holes in the bumper through the bottom license plate holes and VLED frame is all.

Weird. When my license plate is mounted, the bottom of it is basically touching the flat shelf of the bumper. So, no way for me to fit the LPR down there - unless I drilled new holes through the license plate itself and the bumper. With the license plate sitting on the bumper, the holes in the license plate are too low to line up with the holes in the LPR.

Jonathan19Limited

Reaction score
I didn't think it was that hard to modify things to relocate the light so that there was plenty of clearance. I just bent the bottom 1/4" of my plate over on itself to give it a smooth edge, and drilled two new holes a little lower. The original holes the dealer drilled through the plastic weren't even centered, so now it actually is. Ran the wire through the blank plug and was good to go. Made for a clean install.

IMG_2783.JPG

IMG_2784.JPG

IMG_2785.JPG

IMG_2786.JPG

diamondmi

Reaction score
I didn't think it was that hard to modify things to relocate the light so that there was plenty of clearance. I just bent the bottom 1/4" of my plate over on itself to give it a smooth edge, and drilled two new holes a little lower. The original holes the dealer drilled through the plastic weren't even centered, so now it actually is. Ran the wire through the blank plug and was good to go. Made for a clean install.

Looks very clean. Nicely done.

Waiting for my newly ordered 2020 Laramie Longhorn, Delmonico Red, chrome bumpers, 20” wheels, 5.7 V8 Hemi MDS VVT eTorque, 3.92 rear, all options except diesel, multifunction tailgate, protection group and trailer tow group. Interior Black/New Saddle. Looking forward to delivery. So far I’ve been given a VIN #.

2Fast-4U

Reaction score
Excellent! A little creativity saves a lot of aggravation and damage! Thanks for sharing.

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score

View attachment 31624

View attachment 31625

View attachment 31626

View attachment 31627
Lets see a video of that Feniex bar lit up! What else do you have on the truck for warning lights?

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Would the tailgate light bar fit better and also provide more light without a fitment issue?

Be very careful when deciding on tailgate light bar. I put my 60" recon light bar (which has a sealed clear plastic tubing around the LEDs) on my ram and the bottom of the tailgate would rub when down and it scuffed up my paint.

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Be very careful when deciding on tailgate light bar. I put my 60" recon light bar (which has a sealed clear plastic tubing around the LEDs) on my ram and the bottom of the tailgate would rub when down and it scuffed up my paint.
this is the one i have 26416x.jpg 26416x.jpg

Pratherd

Reaction score
So I tried a different approach to solving the clearance problem with the VLED on my 2019. I used a heat gun and solfened the plastic on the bumper and pushed it back out of the way of the tailgate. Happy with the results. Gave me about .027 clearance.

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I tried a different approach to solving the clearance problem with the VLED on my 2019. I used a heat gun and solfened the plastic on the bumper and pushed it back out of the way of the tailgate. Happy with the results. Gave me about .027 clearance.
Pictures!!!

J4U

Reaction score
They are aware now, thanks to some of you, that our trucks have issues with this light.

I emailed them to ship light without bracket and cancel the B/O bracket. Two months waiting now. Told them I had a 2109 RAM and immediately they responded with it won't fit.

Just cancelled everything and will find another solution or wait and see if they come up with something that works. They refunded immediately.

Was looking forward to it... Bummer

Pratherd

Reaction score
Pictures!!!
I’d give pictures but it wouldn’t look any different than an stock looking bumper. You can’t tell I did anything to it. But it pushed it towards the bed of the truck and gave the VLED and tailgate enough clearance for my satisfaction.

barakutha

Reaction score
First time really using em at night, I'm impressed

52f39a6539cecd3b117ca7cc85f8fec6.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread