5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

License Plate Reverse light

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that! I checked and mine is doing it, too. :confused:

I think I will try flipping my LPR over and putting it at the bottom of the plate. I know it won't illuminate as much of the ground directly behind the truck, but I'm hoping it won't totally defeat the purpose.

Btw, I emailed VLED and that's what they said to do. They said some vehicles you have to put it on the bottom to avoid this. So I went out and did that myself in about 15 minutes. Had to drill two new holes for the bottom in the plastic on the RAM, as there are no holes there originally. I'll see what the light looks like tonight.

diamondmi

Reaction score
Btw, I emailed VLED and that's what they said to do. They said some vehicles you have to put it on the bottom to avoid this. So I went out and did that myself in about 15 minutes. Had to drill two new holes for the bottom in the plastic on the RAM, as there are no holes there originally. I'll see what the light looks like tonight.

Couldn’t the top of the light (black plastic above light) be filed down enough to make room?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Couldn’t the top of the light (black plastic above light) be filed down enough to make room?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No idea on that. Seems easier to flip it than file down to me. Id be worried it wouldn't look great if i attempted to file

sergetexan

Reaction score
I do not have the LED headlights, does this mean I also do not have LED taillights, and therefore can us the DD led’s? How can I tell for sure? Also my tailgate is also rubbing, also have the license bracket on order which will probably make matters worse , I may try to cancel.

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
what were the results?

gmab

Reaction score
My VLEDs are hitting the tailgate when it is down. Anyone else had this problem? Laramie sport.
d120a77af6e9a474d75fa873f2fa98b8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Just checked....mine is hitting the tailgate as well. Glad you posted as I didn't noticed this previously.
Will have to flip it around as well I guess.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Mine is not hitting anything (that’s the first thing I checked when I was doing the install).
Wondering at the discrepancy. Mine is the matte black. Wondering if the gloss model is a different thickness? What is everyone else running?

AbitaPro

Reaction score
Just installed the exact p/ns listed in the thread. Super simple. Super easy. Super clean. And 100% removable without a trace.
I looked at it, but the full size wheel and tire doesn’t have enough clearance to install the two pc. T- plug assembly. At this point I’m not going to splice into the wiring.

faithwalker

Reaction score
Mine is not hitting anything (that’s the first thing I checked when I was doing the install).
Wondering at the discrepancy. Mine is the matte black. Wondering if the gloss model is a different thickness? What is everyone else running?

I have the matte black and no rubbing.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Very interesting Mine is the gloss model and it was rubbing. I flipped it and tested it tonight and it still lights up the neighbor's yard across the street. I'm happy with it again. :)

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I have the satin finish and mine is rubbing.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I attempted to "fix" mine. I have completely removed it now.

The problem is that the way the LPR is made, it only lines up with the screw holes in my tag (top or bottom) if the tag is set into the groove on the back of the LPR. That means that the LPR adds about 1/4" of height to the tag, whether it's on the top or bottom. With the LPR on top, it was barely rubbing on my tailgate, and only does so just when the tailgate gets to being 100% open. With the LPR on top, my tag is sitting all the way, so the bottom of the tag is resting on the bumper itself. In other words, it cannot go any lower. So, there is no way to mount the LPR on the top of my tag where it won't rub.

And if I put it on the bottom of the tag, I have 2 problems. One, with the LPR holes lined up with the bottom tag holes, it pushes the tag itself up about 1/4" from resting on the bumper. That means that the holes in the top of the tag no longer line up with the screw holes in the bumper. And, two, I didn't actually check, but I would expect that, since that much extra height caused the LPR to rub the tailgate, the top of the tag would rub against the tailgate.

At this point, I don't see any feasible way to use the LPR as it is currently designed. What I think they need to do is mill down the top of the LPR so that it does not extend above the top of the tag at all. It is an unfortunate and poor design choice that they made that results in the LPR adding 1/4" or so of extra height to the license plate. I suspect it would work fine on many vehicles. But, it does not work on my truck.

Jst4kix

Reaction score
Just spoke with Eli at VLEDS. Unfortunately, he confirmed that there’s about 1/16” overlap when the tailgate comes down that rubs against the LPR and scratches the paint on the tailgate. Cancelled my order. Bummer...

On a positive note, however, he said the engineers were aware of the conflict and could work to resolve it, but it probably wouldn’t be until the fall. I’ll be keeping an eye out for this fix, as I could really use the extra illumination.

Perhaps I’ll look at the new PUTCO Blade for our truck...

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, I emailed VLEDs and Eli emailed me back. He wanted me to try cutting off a little bit at the top and bottom of my license plate, etc.. I emailed him back to explain why that doesn't help at all. I.e. because the holes in the LPR still line up in the same place with the holes in the license plate and the holes in the bumper.

The only way I could see it working is to cut off a strip from the bottom of the license plate and then drill new holes in the bumper to allow mounting the license plate and LPR in a slightly lower position. Personally, I'm not really interested in cutting off part of my license plate or in drilling extra holes in my bumper.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, I emailed VLEDs and Eli emailed me back. He wanted me to try cutting off a little bit at the top and bottom of my license plate, etc.. I emailed him back to explain why that doesn't help at all. I.e. because the holes in the LPR still line up in the same place with the holes in the license plate and the holes in the bumper.

The only way I could see it working is to cut off a strip from the bottom of the license plate and then drill new holes in the bumper to allow mounting the license plate and LPR in a slightly lower position. Personally, I'm not really interested in cutting off part of my license plate or in drilling extra holes in my bumper.

I was able to put it on the bottom of my license plate without issue. I did drill two screws into the bottom, but I didn't see that as a huge deal. No shaving of the plate required.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I spoke too soon. I see mine is touching the tailgate now... Dang it.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was able to put it on the bottom of my license plate without issue. I did drill two screws into the bottom, but I didn't see that as a huge deal. No shaving of the plate required.

So now you’re plate sits up higher than before? And the plate doesn’t touch the tailgate at all?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/