5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

License Plate Reverse light

2Fast-4U

Reaction score
First time really using em at night, I'm impressed

52f39a6539cecd3b117ca7cc85f8fec6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is that just the https://www.amazon.com/JDM-ASTAR-Extremely-360-Degree-Chipsets/dp/B01GGK6QDW backup LED's you posted?? Those are pretty bright for sure!

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They are aware now, thanks to some of you, that our trucks have issues with this light.

I emailed them to ship light without bracket and cancel the B/O bracket. Two months waiting now. Told them I had a 2109 RAM and immediately they responded with it won't fit.

Just cancelled everything and will find another solution or wait and see if they come up with something that works. They refunded immediately.

Was looking forward to it... Bummer
they sent me a return slip for mine. But I've already got it installed and wired in. I also enjoy the additional light output. I'm just cautious when lowering my tailgate to not put a lot of weight on it for now. It just slightly pushes the light which I don't see causing any damage as long as it's not constantly rubbing or having a lot of weight put on the tailgate while it's down. But, I could be wrong too.

Reactions: J4U

2Fast-4U

Reaction score
It’s a VLED light bar

Thanks. I was wondering since I have the LED light package and didn't think the LED bulbs were replaceable. I was thinking about the VLED option as well. Just need to make it fit and be careful not to hit the tailgate. Thanks!

krakenatwork

Reaction score
they sent me a return slip for mine. But I've already got it installed and wired in. I also enjoy the additional light output. I'm just cautious when lowering my tailgate to not put a lot of weight on it for now. It just slightly pushes the light which I don't see causing any damage as long as it's not constantly rubbing or having a lot of weight put on the tailgate while it's down. But, I could be wrong too.

Add a little square of paint protection film down there maybe?

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Add a little square of paint protection film down there maybe?
I have some flat black, sticky foam material. I may cut a thin slip of it and see if I can put it along the top section of the light. If it looks tacky, I'll just pull it back off. I'll report back if I go that route and the results.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I have some flat black, sticky foam material. I may cut a thin slip of it and see if I can put it along the top section of the light. If it looks tacky, I'll just pull it back off. I'll report back if I go that route and the results.
I ended returning mine for a full refund. Should’t have to jigger rig a $100 accessory. They need to re-engineer it so that it fits w/o issues. Once they do, I’ll purchase another one.

Cheers,

barakutha

Reaction score
I took a 3/8" wide piece of D shaped weatherstripping I got off amazon and trimmed most everything except what's attached to the sticker. Stuck it on slightly draping the front edge still gotta check out how it looks in the day

9060d1973d65d8e8f5a6fc13aeb405bc.jpg

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I took a 3/8" wide piece of D shaped weatherstripping I got off amazon and trimmed most everything except what's attached to the sticker. Stuck it on slightly draping the front edge still gotta check out how it looks in the day

Looks homemade. Not a fan...

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I agree.. as long as it can hold out till they come out with one specific for our trucks

Have you tried returning it, or has it been more than thirty days?

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just solved the issue, at least for the VLEDs light. Took a thin piece of foam gasket that I had lying around from my tonneau cover and cut a piece that was 11" long by 0.25" wide. Wiped the VLEDs light real good with an alcohol wipe on top and stuck the strip on it. Worked perfectly! Now the tailgate rests on the gasket instead of the plastic on the light. I'm 99% sure this will at least solve any concerns of damaging the paint on the tailgate. The gasket isn't noticeable unless you get right up to it and look at it. Standing back at any type of distance it just blends in.

Attachments

• IMG-1064.JPG
    IMG-1064.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG-1065.JPG
    IMG-1065.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG-1066.JPG
    IMG-1066.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG-1067.JPG
    IMG-1067.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG-1068.JPG
    IMG-1068.JPG
    156.9 KB · Views: 177

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did anyone else just flip it? This was VLEDs original response to my email and I was able to do it in about 15 minutes max. I kept the same top holes in the plate, and used two new screws through the existing bottom holes of license plate and into the VLED light. See below:

Attachments

• VLED flipped.jpg
    VLED flipped.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 207

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Did anyone else just flip it? This was VLEDs original response to my email and I was able to do it in about 15 minutes max. I kept the same top holes in the plate, and used two new screws through the existing bottom holes of license plate and into the VLED light. See below:
It might work, but it looks odd to me. I just requested an RMA and returned mine.
Once they re-engineer the product, I’ll get another one.

Rustin5

Reaction score
I have a brand new VLED LPR for sale in the buy/sell/trade forum that I chose not to install for anyone interested. Also have all the trailering harnesses to install without splicing into truck wiring to go with it. Make me an offer price is negotiable

2Fast-4U

Reaction score
I have a brand new VLED LPR for sale in the buy/sell/trade forum that I chose not to install for anyone interested. Also have all the trailering harnesses to install without splicing into truck wiring to go with it. Make me an offer price is negotiable
Check the direct message I sent you.

Ed Embry

Reaction score
Got my VLED license plate holder and strip light installed. Put the light strip on the bottom. Plenty of clearance with the tailgate down, no touching whatsoever. Bottom pic is with tailgate closed, hard to see real well with the reflection. Hardest part of the job was zip tying and tucking everything underneath. Thanks to all for the instructions and pics :cool: 33082 33083

AbitaPro

Reaction score
Does anyone have any photos of the wiring installed behind the bumper? I tried the adapter but the space between the electrical connector and the full size spare tire, didn’t seem to be enough. Thanks

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Does anyone have any photos of the wiring installed behind the bumper? I tried the adapter but the space between the electrical connector and the full size spare tire, didn’t seem to be enough. Thanks

AP,
I have detailed pics on page 7 of this thread. There’s plenty of room back there. Check them out.

Users who are viewing this thread