5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

License Plate Reverse light

faithwalker

Reaction score
Mailman delivered the parts today. Install took maybe 45 mins. Love this upgrade! So much brighter.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Behind plate there are two push pins with no function , I removed one reamed it out (plastic) with screw driver and ran wite thru hole pulled grommet flush against. I have bighorn maybe yours is different?
I saw this, but the wire is black so I ran it over. You cannot see it unless you are inches away.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I want to thank everyone who posted step by step pics for this mod. Received my LPR today, installed and ready to go. Backing out of my drive at night has been a guessing game and now I will be able to see!!! waiting for sundown! Also waiting on VLeds license plate bracket which is on back order. This my favorite mod so far, lots of walkers and kids in neighborhood, now I don’t have to back in drive. Thanks again !
You will absolutely love this upgrade. Post back with your thoughts once you do this.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Behind plate there are two push pins with no function , I removed one reamed it out (plastic) with screw driver and ran wite thru hole pulled grommet flush against. I have bighorn maybe yours is different?

I have those same two push pins. I took one of them out and determined (like you) that I would have to ream it out to fit the plug through. I wasn't really sure why those push pins are there in the first place, so I decided to not "modify" them. I think if I were going to do something like that, I would just drill a new hole for the wire to go through. That way, if I find out later that the push pins have some purpose, they will be there and able to serve their purpose.

I still have the paper plate from the dealer. When I get my permanent plates, maybe I'll redo that bit. Or not... :D

sergetexan

Reaction score
As posted prior, I have installed and it is great, however did anyone try to just replace their reverse bulbs with LEDs and what was issue. Diode dynamics lists reverse bulb replacements for the 2019 1500 for both LED or halogen from factory. $20 vs $100 plus wiring. Again I love this mod but did I jump on a pricey fix vs simple bulb replacement.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
As posted prior, I have installed and it is great, however did anyone try to just replace their reverse bulbs with LEDs and what was issue. Diode dynamics lists reverse bulb replacements for the 2019 1500 for both LED or halogen from factory. $20 vs $100 plus wiring. Again I love this mod but did I jump on a pricey fix vs simple bulb replacement.
I have factory reverse LEDs, and while they’re fine most of the time, they don’t light up enough in pitch-black situations. This is the reason I went with the LPR. The difference is very noticeable.

sergetexan

Reaction score
I have factory reverse LEDs, and while they’re fine most of the time, they don’t light up enough in pitch-black situations. This is the reason I went with the LPR. The difference is very noticeable.
Yeah, I kinda figured the total lumens from the bar would be superior as well as a wider band of light vs two bulbs ( although DD offered some hi powered options vs stock), thanks for reply

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score

If you have LED reverse lights from the factory, they do not have bulbs that can be replaced.

I don't know if any of the new body style trim levels come with non-LED backup lights, but if they do, those would be the trucks that you could do a simple bulb replacement on. And then, there are the '19s that are the Ram Classic model. I think those all have bulbs that could just be replaced.

I suspect most (or all) of us in this thread that have gone with the LPR had no other real option because we have the factory LED lights.

Unless DD knows something about the new-style factory LED lights that we don't....

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Annndd... now I see the bulbs you're talking about and that DD specifically says they ARE compatible with the new body style trucks that are LED-equipped. But then it says "these bulbs will not replace factory LED bulbs."

Hmmmm.... Ima email 'em.

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got mine installed today - I cut the quick disconnect off that comes with the wiring then soldered it back together. My reasoning was so I could make a smaller hole in the plastic part behind the plate to pass the wire thru. Much easier I'd say. I just tapped into the reverse signal on my drivers side brake light harness. Soldered it on there and called it a day. Now I can see at night!!

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Question:

Are y'all SURE that I can't upgrade the stock LED backup lights in my truck?

I am asking because Diode Dynamics lists a 7440 LED bulb as a replacement for the OEM bulb in Factory LED Headlight-equipped trucks.

I looked in my Owner's Manual and it says:

Premium Rear Tail/Turn and Stop Lamp - LED (Serviced at an authorized dealer)
Premium Backup Lamp - 7440/W21W
Backup Lamp - 921

I took one of my tail lights off to look at it. It appears that the backup light is the white light right in the middle of the black area ('cause I have the Black Appearance Package) that contains the collision avoidance radar.

The back side of the tail lamp assembly has a big metal area that looks like a heat sink. IIRC, it has 4 screws that appear to hold the metal part on. I was lazy and did not take it apart further. But, now I'm wondering if removing that heat sink-looking cover would reveal 7440 LED bulbs underneath it that could be replaced with brighter ones.

Btalleman

Reaction score
My VLEDs are hitting the tailgate when it is down. Anyone else had this problem? Laramie sport.
d120a77af6e9a474d75fa873f2fa98b8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

faithwalker

Reaction score
I removed the silver heat sink, but couldn't figure out how to remove the assembly further. The black area appears to be a large circuit card assembly with the bulbs connected to the board.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I removed the silver heat sink, but couldn't figure out how to remove the assembly further. The black area appears to be a large circuit card assembly with the bulbs connected to the board.

I've been emailing with a rep at Diode Dynamics to find out more about this. I figure, either, they just saw the thing in the owner's manual that says the "Premium" light setup uses those bulbs, OR, somebody there actually dug into a truck and figured out how to install their bulbs.

If it's the latter, I've asked for directions on how to do it - because if it is non-destructive, I will surely do it. The light from the LPR is great, but I'll take even more if it's as simple as replacing bulbs.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, no backup light upgrade to the stock bulbs for me. DD responded today and cleared up my confusion. They said:

For LED headlights, with non-LED tail lights, the backup bulb size is 7440.

For non-LED headlights, with non-LED tail lights, the backup bulb size is 921.

If you have LED tail lights though, that means you cannot remove/replace your backup lights at all.

What trucks come with LED headlights and non-LED tail lights? Is that a Laramie or higher without the Advanced Safety Group?

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, no backup light upgrade to the stock bulbs for me. DD responded today and cleared up my confusion. They said:

What trucks come with LED headlights and non-LED tail lights? Is that a Laramie or higher without the Advanced Safety Group?
I have not seen one truck that had LED fronts and halogen rears. I don't think they would do it that way.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My VLEDs are hitting the tailgate when it is down. Anyone else had this problem? Laramie sport.
d120a77af6e9a474d75fa873f2fa98b8.jpg

Yes, mine also is doing this. I might see if I can run a small piece of molding on top of the light bar that will stop this.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Thanks for posting that! I checked and mine is doing it, too. :confused:

I think I will try flipping my LPR over and putting it at the bottom of the plate. I know it won't illuminate as much of the ground directly behind the truck, but I'm hoping it won't totally defeat the purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread