5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to: Add Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane assist, FCW & Auto Hi-beam to Ram 1500

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry guys - been MIA last couple of days... seems like some good progress is being made. Right now we have confirmed Lane Keep on one truck and almost all features on yours @MayhemMOORE, waiting on confirmation the abs module needs to be upgraded? If there is any useful information that needs to be added to the beginning of this thread let me know. Also if you found out something was wrong in the PDF let me know. I'd like to track all the differences if possible. Hopefully that will keep people having to read the whole thread too.

Should have the new ABS module sometime next week. As long as it’s just plug and play we should know more then. From the looks of it there shouldn’t be any messing with brake fluid or anything by just removing and swapping it. Guessing I’ll have to run through the initialization and calibration steps and then I’m hoping it works as intended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdb0021

Reaction score
@tdb0021 any advice or things to look out for when bleeding the brakes? I've done it on older vehicles, but not on one this complicated. I have my new windshield in and other parts are coming in.

2020 Bighorn Night Edition, 5.7 Hemi w/eTorque
If you’ve done it before you’ll have no trouble. Basic procedure first and then use the auto-bleed process. You’ll be able to knock it out easy

xJudge21x

Reaction score
So I’m a noob here, obviously and I’ve got to say how awesome this community is, tdb0021, Mayhem Moore, Jimmy and Stepanchina I sincerely appreciate all the work and research you guys have done for us to follow in your footsteps. I am anxiously awaiting whichever of you guys gets the ABS module first and checks it out to see if it works, that is the last piece I am waiting to get if you all are successful!

Awesome work guys!!

So just to double check myself; based on what I have read and followed so far. Given my current setup with FCW+, Advanced Brake Assist, Rain Sensing Windshield, and 12” radio, I'm thinking that I have the right windshield, DASM and HCU.

So in order to add ACC and Lane Keep, I will need to have the steering wheel switch, ABS Module, and Center Stack with Hard Lane Keep Button. And obviously all the AlphaOBD and Bypass stuff to complete the mod; just gotta learn all that since I haven't messed with the OBD stuff before. Just wanted to run that by you all experienced folk and make sure I'm tracking the right way so far!! Thanks!

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I’m a noob here, obviously and I’ve got to say how awesome this community is, tdb0021, Mayhem Moore, Jimmy and Stepanchina I sincerely appreciate all the work and research you guys have done for us to follow in your footsteps. I am anxiously awaiting whichever of you guys gets the ABS module first and checks it out to see if it works, that is the last piece I am waiting to get if you all are successful!

Awesome work guys!!

So just to double check myself; based on what I have read and followed so far. Given my current setup with FCW+, Advanced Brake Assist, Rain Sensing Windshield, and 12” radio, I'm thinking that I have the right windshield, DASM and HCU.

So in order to add ACC and Lane Keep, I will need to have the steering wheel switch, ABS Module, and Center Stack with Hard Lane Keep Button. And obviously all the AlphaOBD and Bypass stuff to complete the mod; just gotta learn all that since I haven't messed with the OBD stuff before. Just wanted to run that by you all experienced folk and make sure I'm tracking the right way so far!! Thanks!

If you have FCW with advanced brake assist, then you have the dasm in your truck already, which should also control your auto high beams. The rain sensing wipers are controlled by the small sensor that’s off to the side of the dasm. The HCU seems to be the same on all the 2021 trucks I’ve looked at, at least based on the external part number, so I’m banking on it working for the ACC. If it does indeed work, then all you should need aside from the programming is the ABS module and the correct cruise switch. Lane Keep will just require the new center stack and the programming.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got the module installed, it's pretty straightforward, just a little cramped to work without removing the wheel or liner.

The static ECU initialization and clearing rolls says it is successful, however when I go to run through the initialization procedure it fails and gives me a CODEG error.

I have the following codes currently that keep coming back: C2200, C220B, C2212, and C10D0. Also several codes I cleared from the ACC module.

@tdb0021 and @Jimmy07 any ideas?

Also, under system ID, current VIN is correct, original VIN is a bunch of "?"

ECU and hardware number also changed from my original. Last number went up one.

I'm now thinking there is something different about the HCU between trucks, even though the exterior part number is the same.

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Got the module installed, it's pretty straightforward, just a little cramped to work without removing the wheel or liner.

The static ECU initialization and clearing rolls says it is successful, however when I go to run through the initialization procedure it fails and gives me a CODEG error.

I have the following codes currently that keep coming back: C2200, C220B, C2212, and C10D0. Also several codes I cleared from the ACC module.

I'm now thinking there is something different about the HCU between trucks, even though the exterior part number is the same.
Let me go back through some notes I had when tdb0021 was doing this. I believe those are the same faults he had when the HCU was mismatched.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Let me go back through some notes I had when tdb0021 was doing this. I believe those are the same faults he had when the HCU was mismatched.
That's what came up under one of the codes that I was able to find. Curious to see what you come up with.

tdb0021

Reaction score

did you run every calibration procedure available? Inlet valve, pilot valve, etc? I had a lot of codes when i did the abs module only swap and I literally just went through and ran everything I could in alpha.

This is from my conversation with Jimmy when I did the swap before doing the HCU:
“4 faults :
C2200
C220B
C2212
C10D0”

So - The exact ones you have too

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
did you run every calibration procedure available? Inlet valve, pilot valve, etc? I had a lot of codes when i did the abs module only swap and I literally just went through and ran everything I could in alpha.

This is from my conversation with Jimmy when I did the swap before doing the HCU:
“4 faults :
C2200
C220B
C2212
C10D0”

So - The exact ones you have too

I did attempt to run them all; the inlet valve was the one that gave me the CODEG error when it failed. The only ones that ran successfully were the sensor cluster and brake pedal.

After seeing the interface between the abs and hcu first-hand, and seeing that there are electrical connections between them, it makes sense that the hcu would need to match the abs module.

I still find it odd how all the 21's have the same external part number, yet it does not seem to exist anywhere. Perhaps they are programmed differently on the line when they are initially installed based on the equipped feature.

I put the original abs module back on for now until I have the time and desire to mess with swapping the hcu.

tdb0021

Reaction score
I did attempt to run them all; the inlet valve was the one that gave me the CODEG error when it failed. The only ones that ran successfully were the sensor cluster and brake pedal.

After seeing the interface between the abs and hcu first-hand, and seeing that there are electrical connections between them, it makes sense that the hcu would need to match the abs module.

I still find it odd how all the 21's have the same external part number, yet it does not seem to exist anywhere. Perhaps they are programmed differently on the line when they are initially installed based on the equipped feature.

I put the original abs module back on for now until I have the time and desire to mess with swapping the hcu.
Damn... kind of a bummer. Was really hoping it’d be a pretty easy upgrade for those with FCW. whenever You do get to it, it’s pretty easy to do. Just one additional piece to the puzzle. I do wonder if you were able to change your acc type (type of adaptive cruise) to ‘acc only’ in alpha if it’d work without throwing an error

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Damn... kind of a bummer. Was really hoping it’d be a pretty easy upgrade for those with FCW. whenever You do get to it, it’s pretty easy to do. Just one additional piece to the puzzle. I do wonder if you were able to change your acc type (type of adaptive cruise) to ‘acc only’ in alpha if it’d work without throwing an error

I actually thought about giving that a try to see if it would do anything, but I was running short on time and wanted the truck drivable without any issues. Maybe if I get a chance I’ll swap it back out and give it a try since it’s a pretty easy swap.

St-na

Reaction score
@MaythemMOORE You said on 05.13 "Confirmed on a 21 Laramie with the complete advanced safety group that the HCU on the truck has the same part number as mine." What was exactly the part number confirmed for Your truck? There are 2 HCU types: 68415317AA speed control only / 68415320AA ACC w/Stop and Go

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@MaythemMOORE You said on 05.13 "Confirmed on a 21 Laramie with the complete advanced safety group that the HCU on the truck has the same part number as mine." What was exactly the part number confirmed for Your truck? There are 2 HCU types: 68415317AA speed control only / 68415320AA ACC w/Stop and Go

I was going off of the part number visible on the actual unit itself. For some reason all the 21 models have the same external number, 68438453AC, even though there is an apparent difference in the function themselves. No data exists on that part number anywhere that I’ve been able to find.

St-na

Reaction score
I was going off of the part number visible on the actual unit itself. For some reason all the 21 models have the same external number, 68438453AC, even though there is an apparent difference in the function themselves. No data exists on that part number anywhere that I’ve been able to find.

I thought that the dealer was able to identify correct number on HCU. Is any part number shown on originally installed ABS control module?

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I thought that the dealer was able to identify correct number on HCU. Is any part number shown on originally installed ABS control module?

The number that star parts showed for the HCU doesn’t match the number that’s actually on it. This was all a gamble with the hopes the installed HCU on the 21’s would work. Now we know for sure it does not. There is no regular part number like we see on other Mopar parts on the abs module. The photo below is the original on the left, and one for ACC on the right.

937a820d9de59f1a17aec8656a3522ff.jpg

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
All the parts are in, and the new windshield is in. Now, I just need to install everything.

St-na

Reaction score
All the parts are in, and the new windshield is in. Now, I just need to install everything.

My ABS module delivery delayed badly, I also ordered all parts for parking assist, as long the button exists, makes sense to arrange the rest.

vincentw56

Reaction score
My ABS module delivery delayed badly, I also ordered all parts for parking assist, as long the button exists, makes sense to arrange the rest.
I also added the parking assist parts. Less than $100 so why not.

vincentw56

Reaction score
I got the new screen in and the steering wheel button. The 12" screen won't come on at all. I can use the AC buttons, but the screen stays off.

Users who are viewing this thread