5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hard-wire Dash Cam Install

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
So it seems "ME" Blackboxmycar is not such a great place to buy products from. Waiting until Monday to see if they correct THEIR mistake and my perception of how they treated me.
But one thing is certain I wish I dealt with "Thedashcamstore". What a royal pain in the **** this has become. Just dealing with returning a package from the USA to Canada alone.
I will detail further on Monday to see if they make it right.
I always buy from the dashcamstore in TX unless they are out of stock on something I need. Then I go to Blackboxmycar. thedashcamstore will match and/or beat any pricing from blackbox anyway.

Lungs414

Reaction score
I always buy from the dashcamstore in TX unless they are out of stock on something I need. Then I go to Blackboxmycar. thedashcamstore will match and/or beat any pricing from blackbox anyway.
Yeah I'm definitely regretting buying from them. Bad info from a tech n to backed up buy the return process. The unit I got was DOA, in an email they actually told me they are doing me a favor by not charging me to return it. SMH I was told they would send another one out so I could just replace the units, when I contacted them on Friday they told me they wouldn't do that and I had to either return the DOA unit first or pay for the new one and get a refund when they get the bad one back. I totally agree with that and have no issues, but I was told that I would get the new one so I could take the wires from the new unit and put in the box of the bad one so it would be an easy exchange. When I called 3 days late looking for a tracking number that's when the rules were changed. It takes 5-10 business days to get a refund, so I lost 3 days , then the weekend and still no resolution. Throiugh in dealing with Canada and all the hassle returning not worth it to me. Also they want me to lie and put on a package $10 value so no taxes, seems very shady to me, and I told them I wont do that. Now waiting for a response to my request as to how to handle the return.
In the end way to much trouble dealing with them.

Lungs414

Reaction score
Quick update. Now they want me to pay for the shipping to return a defective DOA unit. Also want me to declare the package content value of $10 for them to save on taxes. I wont do that, and now may see who to report them to for fraud. I can only imagine if it gets lost and I go to Amex for coverage and they say well the declared value is only $10 so that's all we are willing to pay, and who could blame them.
The bottom line is if I am looking to buy products from Blackboxmycar I would think twice. What a hassle to deal with them.
In my opinion not worth dealing with.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Quick update. Now they want me to pay for the shipping to return a defective DOA unit. Also want me to declare the package content value of $10 for them to save on taxes. I wont do that, and now may see who to report them to for fraud. I can only imagine if it gets lost and I go to Amex for coverage and they say well the declared value is only $10 so that's all we are willing to pay, and who could blame them.
The bottom line is if I am looking to buy products from Blackboxmycar I would think twice. What a hassle to deal with them.
In my opinion not worth dealing with.
We all know that this just isn't right. I'd call and ask for the owner. BBMC is a reputable company and highly regarded on-line. This just doesn't sound like them.

Lungs414

Reaction score
We all know that this just isn't right. I'd call and ask for the owner. BBMC is a reputable company and highly regarded on-line. This just doesn't sound like them.
Now they want $10 for an "advanced RMA" Whatever that does. I am leaning toward just doing it and see what happens. If it doesn't work I will follow up again with Amex. They are suggesting i do the return /exchange. I am following their lead

Chuck19

Reaction score
Now they want $10 for an "advanced RMA" Whatever that does. I am leaning toward just doing it and see what happens. If it doesn't work I will follow up again with Amex. They are suggesting i do the return /exchange. I am following their lead
Sorry to hear about your experience. I got mine through BBMC a couple of weeks ago and had no issues fortunately. Very smooth transaction and received everything in good working order within 4 days of ordering. Hope this gets resolved for you. Every manufacturer puts out a dud every once in a while but I just don’t see BBMC not making this right. Like security guy said they have too strong of a reputation for you to be having this experience. Something is going on on their end that isn’t the typical customer experience. Good luck!

Lungs414

Reaction score
Thanks. Its only a camera, not life and death. The thing is I don't get where they are telling me I would have to pay for shipping back to them a defective product. I worked with their tech person and the camera wouldn't connect to the app. I did receive the unit pretty quickly. I really believe if I knew what a hassle it would be I would not use them. In the end Amex suggested to try it again, so I I am. This way I take the new set of wires and put them in the original box and they get a complete return, I have my fingers crossed that the new camera is good.

Lungs414

Reaction score
Got the new camera installed. I accidentally installed the rear camera upside down. I tried rotating the image 180 degrees it didn't work. Do I have to remove the bracket and flip it ?

njt07

Reaction score
Once I get back after Christmas I’ll be installing the Thinkware QXD3000 (i think this is the model) my wife got while she was in Korea. I had a 2channel with parking Thinkware in my GC for almost 10 years and replaced the battery once right around 5 years.

my only concern with a self install are the posts with the issues regarding the remote start/unlock.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Once I get back after Christmas I’ll be installing the Thinkware QXD3000 (i think this is the model) my wife got while she was in Korea. I had a 2channel with parking Thinkware in my GC for almost 10 years and replaced the battery once right around 5 years.

my only concern with a self install are the posts with the issues regarding the remote start/unlock.
What does remote start unlock have to do with installing a dash cam?

njt07

Reaction score
What does remote start unlock have to do with installing a dash cam?
Nothing other than I saw that some people were having issues with the reception? I read through the whole thread saw back in the earlier pages a few prople were having issues. I’m a bit leery on messing with electronics so theres that as well lol.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Nothing other than I saw that some people were having issues with the reception? I read through the whole thread saw back in the earlier pages a few prople were having issues. I’m a bit leery on messing with electronics so theres that as well lol.
It was with a specific brand of camera that did not have a shielded cable and, most likely, wasn't installed properly. There are ZERO issues installing a dash cam in these trucks. Rule of thumb...don't buy a POS dash cam on Amazon for under $100. Get a good quality, highly rated camera from either of these sites and you will be just fine. Super easy to install and I am happy to assist you via phone if you want to chat. I HIGHLY recommend Blackvue, Thinkware and Viofo.

www.thedashcamstore.com

www.blackboxmycar.com

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It was with a specific brand of camera that did not have a shielded cable and, most likely, wasn't installed properly. There are ZERO issues installing a dash cam in these trucks. Rule of thumb...don't buy a POS dash cam on Amazon for under $100. Get a good quality, highly rated camera from either of these sites and you will be just fine. Super easy to install and I am happy to assist you via phone if you want to chat. I HIGHLY recommend Blackvue, Thinkware and Viofo.

www.thedashcamstore.com

www.blackboxmycar.com
Just installed the newer BlackVue DR750X-1CH Plus in my son's new Colorado yesterday and tossed the POS Vantrue he had been using in his old truck. The new backlit sensor is bright at night in parking mode and I thought there was something wrong at first since my older one doesn't have that. 🤨 Needless to say he loves the new cam and was surprised at the ease of install.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hey @securityguy I’m getting ready to order this setup. Is it still your recomendation?
Looks good...that is my recommendation. Check out www.thedashcamstore.com before ordering your camera. You actually want the DR750X-2CH PLUS. Sometimes you can get a better deal than Amazon. PM me if you need any help with the install and we can connect via cell. Merry Christmas!

Reactions: c3k

x50

Reaction score
Looks good...that is my recommendation. Check out www.thedashcamstore.com before ordering your camera. You actually want the DR750X-2CH PLUS. Sometimes you can get a better deal than Amazon. PM me if you need any help with the install and we can connect via cell. Merry Christmas!

Do you think it's possible to use the camera in the LED 3rd brake like for the rear camera with the DR750X-2CH PLUS? I'm going to install the light in my Laramie and I have no use for the camera.

GeorgiaBoy

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Thank you! Appreciate the clarification on the exact cam and will check out dashcamstore I will definitely take you up on the install assistance! I know you have helped many on the forum and it is much appreciated! And a very Merry Christmas to you!

Users who are viewing this thread