5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hard-wire Dash Cam Install

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
The AT&T service? I do not have that subscription.

My Nav uses 4G through Uconnect, but wasn’t planning on keeping Sirius.

Unless I’m way off????
I believe that if you have the Wi-Fi hot spot activated in your truck, the camera will cloud connect using your trucks Wi-Fi. If no, and you don't want to, then you can connect via LTE using the LTE module.

Lungs414

Reaction score
So I ordered the 900 and received it 2 days ago. I installed it yesterday, thanks to Securityguy, was pretty simple. Scared me a little when I popped off the mirror trim and the whole thing popped off. Used me dremel to make a little cutout for both wires and worked flawless. However.......
The camera is defective, and being returned. The app would not recognize the camera. On some levels it did and others it did not. Spent more time with tech support than it took me to run the wires. My phone sees the camera in LAN and Blackvue wifi shows but the app wont connect to the camera. I requested a new device and chose the 750 instead. I also asked if the hard wiring is the same and thankfully it is.
Whats funny is how the app says the new software makes connecting phone to app easier, well not for me.
I don't know if it's because it's a new model, and bugs are ink the system and I don't want to be part of a learning curve.
Hopefully new camera arrives in 2 days.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
So I ordered the 900 and received it 2 days ago. I installed it yesterday, thanks to Securityguy, was pretty simple. Scared me a little when I popped off the mirror trim and the whole thing popped off. Used me dremel to make a little cutout for both wires and worked flawless. However.......
The camera is defective, and being returned. The app would not recognize the camera. On some levels it did and others it did not. Spent more time with tech support than it took me to run the wires. My phone sees the camera in LAN and Blackvue wifi shows but the app wont connect to the camera. I requested a new device and chose the 750 instead. I also asked if the hard wiring is the same and thankfully it is.
Whats funny is how the app says the new software makes connecting phone to app easier, well not for me.
I don't know if it's because it's a new model, and bugs are ink the system and I don't want to be part of a learning curve.
Hopefully new camera arrives in 2 days.
Curious...do you have a Wireless Apple CarPlay dongle plugged into your USB? You'll be happier with a DR750X-Plus unit anyway.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have the wireless CarPlay dongle and find that, when trying to connect with my camera, the dongle interferes. Therefore, every time I connect to my camera, I first unplug the dongle from my USB port and all works flawlessly.

Lungs414

Reaction score
Curious...do you have a Wireless Apple CarPlay dongle plugged into your USB? You'll be happier with a DR750X-Plus unit anyway.
No I don’t. Also I have the Sd card you recommended. Do I plug it in right away or does it have to be formatted first. And if so how do I do that with a MacBook ?
Thanks

sholtz21

Reaction score
I think we have the same mirror setup.
View attachment 106160
Thanks for the pic. I took a closer look last night, I had thought there might be enough room for it the cam. Your Pic confirms it. I've just been way over thinking it.

securityguy - You are right, from your pics, It didn't look like the same trim. but I see that with the mounting location it'll work just time.

Thank you both! I'm hoping to get to it this weekend.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
No I don’t. Also I have the Sd card you recommended. Do I plug it in right away or does it have to be formatted first. And if so how do I do that with a MacBook ?
Thanks
Yes, plug it in right away. The dash cam should format it as it boots up and will speak to you telling you as such. If it does not, PM me and I'll walk you through how to do it on a MAC.

Jokersreven9e

Reaction score
I believe that if you have the Wi-Fi hot spot activated in your truck, the camera will cloud connect using your trucks Wi-Fi. If no, and you don't want to, then you can connect via LTE using the LTE module.
I see that now. I do not have it enabled, it's a $20 a month data plan through AT&T. Thanks for the info, gives me more to think about. Could think of it as extra insurance should something happen.

sholtz21

Reaction score
It's live! at least the front camera is connected. I'll get to rear camera this week. I have a couple questions. Parking mode makes me a little nervous.

First off, The truck is turned off, has been for 10 minutes already. The White LED on the dashcam is still lit. I'm assuming this indicates that it's still on, due to parking mode? Should that light go off? Once the Battery Protection limit is hit the cam will turn off? Speaking of which, looks like the default Low Voltage Cut-Off is is 11.8 V for passenger vehicle, and 23.2 V for Heavy vehicle. What would you guys recommend I set the voltage for?

Second, I'm going to look to see if there's a glare filter I can add. Looks like even just sitting on the driveway under cloudy skies, I can see the reflection of the dash.

pgGQ22o - Imgur.jpg k8Na7Gl - Imgur.jpg hqgcbRa - Imgur.jpg

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's live! at least the front camera is connected. I'll get to rear camera this week. I have a couple questions. Parking mode makes me a little nervous.

First off, The truck is turned off, has been for 10 minutes already. The White LED on the dashcam is still lit. I'm assuming this indicates that it's still on, due to parking mode? Should that light go off? Once the Battery Protection limit is hit the cam will turn off? Speaking of which, looks like the default Low Voltage Cut-Off is is 11.8 V for passenger vehicle, and 23.2 V for Heavy vehicle. What would you guys recommend I set the voltage for?

Second, I'm going to look to see if there's a glare filter I can add. Looks like even just sitting on the driveway under cloudy skies, I can see the reflection of the dash.

View attachment 106255 View attachment 106256 View attachment 106257
A polarizing filter will help cut the reflections.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score

View attachment 106255 View attachment 106256 View attachment 106257
If you have it wired correctly, it should say Parking Mode ON when the camera sees the IGN shut-off. The camera will shut off when the voltage limit is hit. I suggest setting the voltage to 12.2V. Go to www.thedashcamstore.com or www.blackboxmycar.com to buy the filter. May be on Amazon too.

sholtz21

Reaction score
If you have it wired correctly, it should say Parking Mode ON when the camera sees the IGN shut-off. The camera will shut off when the voltage limit is hit. I suggest setting the voltage to 12.2V. Go to www.thedashcamstore.com or www.blackboxmycar.com to buy the filter. May be on Amazon too.
Ok Perfect! I Wasn't seeing the Parking Mode ON, but when I switched the truck off, waited 30 seconds, the camera told me that Parking mode now on.
Thank you!!

Lungs414

Reaction score
So it seems "ME" Blackboxmycar is not such a great place to buy products from. Waiting until Monday to see if they correct THEIR mistake and my perception of how they treated me.
But one thing is certain I wish I dealt with "Thedashcamstore". What a royal pain in the **** this has become. Just dealing with returning a package from the USA to Canada alone.
I will detail further on Monday to see if they make it right.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread