5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front end clunk while turning - FIXED - TSB # 23-047-18

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I took my truck in and let them know about the popping in the steering while turning. I mentioned the TSB for the sway bar link some guys were talking about in the forum. They confirmed the noises i stated, which were basically “popping noise when turning at low speeds”. They said they removed the center console and found my “lower dash fasteners were loose” and all they did was tighten those fasteners. I didn’t have a long ride home, but tried to replicate the sounds with no use. So it looks like they found and fixed something. Not sure how long the repair is gonna last (hopefully it stays fixed), but whatever they did is working for the time being. Im still skeptical because what they did was nothing that ive been reading about.

Hi Bigimp,

Glad to hear that you are no longer experiencing this concern with your truck! If it does come back down the road, please be sure to follow up with us via private message. We are more than happy to provide you with additional support as you work with your dealer.

Mark
RamCares

Ken Robbins

Reaction score
Anybody heard any clunking noises while turning? I can replicate the issue fairly easily. Doesn’t happen every time but often. Not sure if it might be air bags, control arms, etc but definitely sounds suspension/steering related. Wondering if it’s something that will break in or a problem I should have looked at.
This an old thread I read when it first got posted when I was experiencing the same thing. I automatically thought this was my issue. It didn't do it all the time, so didn't bother taking it in to the dealer to get the run around. I had the dealer install these running boards as part of the sale agreement. Some of the bolts that fastened the running board to the running board mounts were loose and one was missing. In my case I just retorqued all the fasteners and got a new bolt and some spares. This fixed that clunking noise when the body would flex while turning shifting the loose running board. Now I have a clunk going over bumps that will get checked out.

Attachments

• 20200124_162320.jpg
    20200124_162320.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 122

whetrick1

Reaction score
This an old thread I read when it first got posted when I was experiencing the same thing. I automatically thought this was my issue. It didn't do it all the time, so didn't bother taking it in to the dealer to get the run around. I had the dealer install these running boards as part of the sale agreement. Some of the bolts that fastened the running board to the running board mounts were loose and one was missing. In my case I just retorqued all the fasteners and got a new bolt and some spares. This fixed that clunking noise when the body would flex while turning shifting the loose running board. Now I have a clunk going over bumps that will get checked out.

Mine was doing that and they found that the body mount still had the Teflon washer on the rubber and it was allowing the body to move. They removed the Teflon washer so the rubber would cushion the body and my clunk stopped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ken Robbins

Reaction score
Mine was doing that and they found that the body mount still had the Teflon washer on the rubber and it was allowing the body to move. They removed the Teflon washer so the rubber would cushion the body and my clunk stopped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you, I'll have to check that out.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have mine in currently for this sound. They said they ordered parts for the shaft I believe? Fingers crossed when I get it back that it resolves it. They said they couldn't find a TSB, but referenced a STAR case they were following. I'm sending them this TSB as an FYI in case they want to consider it...

RamCares

Reaction score
I have mine in currently for this sound. They said they ordered parts for the shaft I believe? Fingers crossed when I get it back that it resolves it. They said they couldn't find a TSB, but referenced a STAR case they were following. I'm sending them this TSB as an FYI in case they want to consider it...

Hi @dutchman187 - If you are in need of any additional support while in service, please do not hesitate to follow up with us via private message!

Mark
RamCares

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi @dutchman187 - If you are in need of any additional support while in service, please do not hesitate to follow up with us via private message!

Mark
RamCares

Will do if they don't get it figured out. They had it all day today and the fix they attempted didn't work per the call I received a bit ago. They mentioned they hadn't looked at the TSB# I provided (from this thread), but instead tried a Star case and were talking with engineers from chrysler. They are going to read the TSB now. :)

RamCares

Reaction score
Will do if they don't get it figured out. They had it all day today and the fix they attempted didn't work per the call I received a bit ago. They mentioned they hadn't looked at the TSB# I provided (from this thread), but instead tried a Star case and were talking with engineers from chrysler. They are going to read the TSB now. :)

Thank you for taking the time to share this update, @dutchman187! I will be sure to keep following along here, however, we are just a private message away if needed.

Mark
RamCares

Ch28

Reaction score
Mine had a star case. They replaced the rear drive shaft. Been about 10k miles and hasn't come back.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They replaced the intermediate shaft, which fixed part of the noise but not the thud. They then replaced the A pillar mounts and all bolts. Appears to be fixed.

Highlighting the importance of this forum, the service manager told me they originally did not find TSB from this thread and thus didn't attempt that fix. He said the way they have to search for TSBs is not great, and it didn't come up for them with the search terms they used. After I gave them the specific TSB numbers, they read it and fixed it quickly. So it took 3 days, but I"m all fixed (hopefully for good). Don't be afraid to respectfully ask them to read a TSB!

Sobczynd

Reaction score
I had the clunk. Turned the bolt as far as it could go with an 8mm wrench (counter clockwise). Then tightened the main fastening nut as much as I could with a 4 inch long adjustable wrench so I don't know the torque specs but I don't think it could have been that high given the limited leverage I had. No more clunk.
Are you referring to the sway bar links bolt ?

Kaidot

Reaction score
Hi all,
i have this sound when turning right as well. Very disappointing. I just got this car 2 days ago!

most importantly, can I continue driving this car for a few days?
i know the dealer - always buy there - their service is not great unless I push them.
they always try first to hear nothing and see nothing.

What is this most commonly and most likely? suspension? Steering rack?

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi all,
i have this sound when turning right as well. Very disappointing. I just got this car 2 days ago!

i know the dealer - always buy there - their service is not great unless I push them.

Any idea what your build date is? There were a couple of issues that could explain your symptom, but these were on much earlier builds: Cab mounting bolts too long; unlubricated sway bar links.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 034278 miles.

RamCares

Reaction score
Hi all,

I sincerely apologize for the trouble, @Kaidot. If you would be willing to follow up with me via private message, I would be happy to escalate your situation to a Case Manager which will provide the dealership and yourself with an individual who will review your concern, then assist you and the dealership in exhausting all available resources to have the concern addressed and resolved.

Mark
RamCares

Kaidot

Reaction score
Thanks all, the dealer took care of it. Truck was in the shop for 3 days and they changed some body parts.
this forum definitely helped to explain the issue and they were able to find some bulletin.

Users who are viewing this thread