5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front end clunk while turning - FIXED - TSB # 23-047-18

dreinert

Reaction score
Finally after 28k miles with the clunk mine is finally fixed and I couldn’t be happier. 2019 Ram built in June 2018

Initially problem “couldn’t be replicated”; as it got worse they they said it was the stabilizer links and bushings but those were on back order for 2mo, finally had those replaced and still had the noise. Dealer agreed pop was there but it was normal because “it’s a truck” and the body bolts were tight.

Disgruntled, I took a video of the body bolt and you could see through the slot that the whole body to frame joint was loose even though the bolt was torqued.

https://gopro.com/v/kVREKwMqyNo7N

I took the video and the body bolt TSB with the dealer I originally bought the truck from and am happy to report when I picked it up last night it’s finally a great truck again!

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Finally after 28k miles with the clunk mine is finally fixed and I couldn’t be happier. 2019 Ram built in June 2018

Initially problem “couldn’t be replicated”; as it got worse they they said it was the stabilizer links and bushings but those were on back order for 2mo, finally had those replaced and still had the noise. Dealer agreed pop was there but it was normal because “it’s a truck” and the body bolts were tight.

Disgruntled, I took a video of the body bolt and you could see through the slot that the whole body to frame joint was loose even though the bolt was torqued.

https://gopro.com/v/kVREKwMqyNo7N

I took the video and the body bolt TSB with the dealer I originally bought the truck from and am happy to report when I picked it up last night it’s finally a great truck again!
That’s great video evidence of a problem the dealership originally said didn’t exist. How did they fix the problem? Did they just tighten down the bolts beyond the torque spec to tighten everything up?

dreinert

Reaction score
They completed TSB: 23-047-18 which apparently didn’t origionally come up even though it applies to Trucks built between ~March to October builds.

TSB Includes replacement of:
68246280AC - Mout- A pillar body
06512962AA - A&B Body Bolt
06512892AA - C pillar Body bolt
06511825AA - FESM Pillar body bolt

There must be something wit the body bolts. The existing ones were all tight and to torque but still allowed it to occur and the TSB doesn’t note anything about re-torquing or reusing existing hardware.

Maconi

Reaction score
They completed TSB: 23-047-18 which apparently didn’t origionally come up even though it applies to Trucks built between ~March to October builds.

TSB Includes replacement of:
68246280AC - Mout- A pillar body
06512962AA - A&B Body Bolt
06512892AA - C pillar Body bolt
06511825AA - FESM Pillar body bolt

There must be something wit the body bolts. The existing ones were all tight and to torque but still allowed it to occur and the TSB doesn’t note anything about re-torquing or reusing existing hardware.

Sounds similar to this TSB:

Alex2014

Reaction score
Thanks all, the dealer took care of it. Truck was in the shop for 3 days and they changed some body parts.
this forum definitely helped to explain the issue and they were able to find some bulletin.
Hi, what parts of your truck dealer change?

Rong

Reaction score
Well my 2020 limited has been doing the clunk, I’ve heard it 4 times in first 2 weeks of owning. It’s has 2300 miles, it was a demo vehicle with 2000 miles. I will be calling my dealership tomorrow to try and have this fixed.

pkib

Reaction score
Anybody heard any clunking noises while turning? I can replicate the issue fairly easily. Doesn’t happen every time but often. Not sure if it might be air bags, control arms, etc but definitely sounds suspension/steering related. Wondering if it’s something that will break in or a problem I should have looked at.
I saw you had the issue resolved, but wanted to share my experience thus far. 10/2019 purchased new 2019 Ram 3500 4x4 Dually. Almost immediately heard a pop or clunk while turning at low speeds, both directions and usually after braking to slow or stop before turning. Dealer rep said it was break in noise. It has performed great, but the clunk is worse and worse. I can sit still and pull the steering wheel left and right slightly, and make it clunk every time. Definitely something in the steering IMO. I now have 19K miles so it's been clunking for a year. I drop if off Thursday, and I will let you know what they find if you think it might help someone.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well my 2020 limited has been doing the clunk, I’ve heard it 4 times in first 2 weeks of owning. It’s has 2300 miles, it was a demo vehicle with 2000 miles. I will be calling my dealership tomorrow to try and have this fixed.

I saw you had the issue resolved, but wanted to share my experience thus far. 10/2019 purchased new 2019 Ram 3500 4x4 Dually. Almost immediately heard a pop or clunk while turning at low speeds, both directions and usually after braking to slow or stop before turning. Dealer rep said it was break in noise. It has performed great, but the clunk is worse and worse. I can sit still and pull the steering wheel left and right slightly, and make it clunk every time. Definitely something in the steering IMO. I now have 19K miles so it's been clunking for a year. I drop if off Thursday, and I will let you know what they find if you think it might help someone.
Apologies for the trouble, @Rong & @pkib. Please know that our team here is always a private message away and we are more than willing to escalate a case on your behalf for further support as you address this concern with your dealers.

Mark
RamCares

Rong

Reaction score
Apologies for the trouble, @Rong & @pkib. Please know that our team here is always a private message away and we are more than willing to escalate a case on your behalf for further support as you address this concern with your dealers.

Mark
RamCares
Well after leaving my truck at the dealership they said we could not duplicate the problem so they can’t do anything. All the tsbs are for 2019s so they won’t do any of that to my 2020. I asked them to open a star case and they said they can t do that, only if it’s something they can’t fix, since they cant Duplicate they say it’s undiagnosed not something they can’t fix. I am so mad about this.

RamCares

Reaction score
Well after leaving my truck at the dealership they said we could not duplicate the problem so they can’t do anything. All the tsbs are for 2019s so they won’t do any of that to my 2020. I asked them to open a star case and they said they can t do that, only if it’s something they can’t fix, since they cant Duplicate they say it’s undiagnosed not something they can’t fix. I am so mad about this.
Thank you for following up with me, just had a chance to respond to your message on this.

Mark
RamCares

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score

My 2020 Laramie has been doing it for 10,000 miles and I can’t isolate where it’s coming from. It only does it when turning slightly or mostly left and the pavement has a drop. I feel a pop/clunk right under my feet. Haven’t had the dealership address it yet because I don’t have the patience or desire to have them keep my truck all day and then say that it couldn’t be duplicated. I think it’s a body mount personally.

Daverous

Reaction score
Sad to report a similar issue as above with 1800 miles on it. Slight left onto an on ramp with a pavement drop. Hit it every day leaving work :(

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sad to report a similar issue as above with 1800 miles on it. Slight left onto an on ramp with a pavement drop. Hit it every day leaving work :(
I have put a wrench (big ones) on everything in the suspension on the left side and nothing was loose. There is a body mount just to the left of where our feet are and I swear that’s what’s causing it. The bolt isn’t loose but I believe it has play or in proper cushioning just near impossible to duplicate the movement when the vehicle is parked.

RamCares

Reaction score
My 2020 Laramie has been doing it for 10,000 miles and I can’t isolate where it’s coming from. It only does it when turning slightly or mostly left and the pavement has a drop. I feel a pop/clunk right under my feet. Haven’t had the dealership address it yet because I don’t have the patience or desire to have them keep my truck all day and then say that it couldn’t be duplicated. I think it’s a body mount personally.

If at any point you do work with your dealers, please let us know so that we may escalate cases on your behalf for further support through that process.

Mark
RamCares

Rong

Reaction score
Ramcare fast tracked a case order for me and I was contacted to bring my truck to a different dealership. i drop it off Monday, hopefully they can figure something out, but I highly recommend people bring this problem to the attention of dealers, Ramcare, star cases. So that a fix can be found and we all get our 2020 trucks fixed, they said they won’t use the same tsbs that are out for the 2019s. Even though it’s the same issue.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ramcare fast tracked a case order for me and I was contacted to bring my truck to a different dealership. i drop it off Monday, hopefully they can figure something out, but I highly recommend people bring this problem to the attention of dealers, Ramcare, star cases. So that a fix can be found and we all get our 2020 trucks fixed, they said they won’t use the same tsbs that are out for the 2019s. Even though it’s the same issue.
Thank you for following up to share this update, @Rong. Please be sure to keep us posted on how things go with your dealer!

Mark
RamCares

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Please post what they find. I’ve been in the damn dealership like 6 times for the stupid radio problems which is still unresolved and haven’t had the patience to deal with the clunking.

Rong

Reaction score
Dropped off at the new dealership this morning and just got a call back from them. Could not duplicate the problem. They asked me to come drive it with a tech tomorrow. I told them I’m off all week so they can keep it until it is duplicated. I’m worried even if by chance they get it to duplicate, it will just be an“oh what is that” . They really just need to replace the frame bolts like the 2019 tsbs say. I will keep you all posted on what happens the rest of the week.

Users who are viewing this thread