5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front end clunk while turning - FIXED - TSB # 23-047-18

immersivenc

Reaction score
Anybody heard any clunking noises while turning? I can replicate the issue fairly easily. Doesn’t happen every time but often. Not sure if it might be air bags, control arms, etc but definitely sounds suspension/steering related. Wondering if it’s something that will break in or a problem I should have looked at.

I Love Grits

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've noticed a clunk (or what I thought was a clunk) every once in a while, but only when turning right. Don't know why I was being vague in the post above, sorry.

immersivenc

Reaction score
I've noticed a clunk (or what I thought was a clunk) every once in a while, but only when turning right. Don't know why I was being vague in the post above, sorry.

I’ve pretty much narrowed it down to being a control arm issue. If they’re over torqued, they’re not moving as freely as they should and I think the clunk I’m hearing is them binding up a bit. If you’re hearing it while turning right, one of yours may be over torqued also. It only happens to me when turning at speed, not while turning the wheel stationary.

immersivenc

Reaction score
I've got the clunk too. I tend to avoid taking anything to the dealership because I feel like they usually "fix" it worse than what I brought it in for. I will update if I can figure out how to routinely replicate it.

Yeah, I’m hesitant also. Good to know it’s not just me though. Wondering if it’s a break in thing. I went out earlier and tightened all the lug nuts thinking it could be something stupid like that. Some of them were definitely looser than others, but I still heard the clunk after

1Raider

Reaction score
It's these new issues that pop up that I get worried about getting a 1st run truck off the line.
Now that i'm pushed back on the tail end of some of the Rambox orders makes me think that all those issues will be taken care of an those trouble spots are already taken care of when my truck is released.

immersivenc

Reaction score
It's these new issues that pop up that I get worried about getting a 1st run truck off the line.
Now that i'm pushed back on the tail end of some of the Rambox orders makes me think that all those issues will be taken care of an those trouble spots are already taken care of when my truck is released.

Wouldn’t hold my breath, It’s still very early. Not even sure if this is an issue yet. Get the lifetime warranty and sleep peacefully knowing it’s all covered.

immersivenc

Reaction score
@I Love Grits @alwi228

What’s the current mileage on your trucks? Mine has about 350 miles on it. If it’s still an issue after 3-4K mi, that would help me figure out if it’s potentially a break in item or not.

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

That's pretty much my thought process. I figured I'll own this truck for the bumper to bumper 3 years, and if I love it, buy another one for the long term. Even with the maxcare warranty, I'd have an iffy feeling about owning this all new build for a decade.

immersivenc

Reaction score
Truck currently sits in the service department overnight and I'm in a loaner. Service advisor is telling me they believe the clunk is coming from the rack and pinion but are not certain yet. He said they have had a difficult time pinpointing the issue and the rain here today is making it more difficult to diagnose during a test drive. He already gave me the "it may be part of the design" bit which I ain't buying. Should not be doing what it's doing and i'm sure not all trucks are doing this. I'm hoping anyone else having the issue will chime in and we can share any solutions that come up. I am hoping they are able to spend more time with it tomorrow. Also, any advice escalating issues with FCA would be helpful since that's where I'll be going if the dealer can't come up with any solutions.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Truck currently sits in the service department overnight and I'm in a loaner. Service advisor is telling me they believe the clunk is coming from the rack and pinion but are not certain yet. He said they have had a difficult time pinpointing the issue and the rain here today is making it more difficult to diagnose during a test drive. He already gave me the "it may be part of the design" bit which I ain't buying. Should not be doing what it's doing and i'm sure not all trucks are doing this. I'm hoping anyone else having the issue will chime in and we can share any solutions that come up. I am hoping they are able to spend more time with it tomorrow. Also, any advice escalating issues with FCA would be helpful since that's where I'll be going if the dealer can't come up with any solutions.
Tell them to open a "Star" case if they cannot find a fix

Users who are viewing this thread