5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Floor Mat Recall

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I really appreciate all of the input on this forum from fellow Ram owners. When I read my recall that was in the mail today, I was confused as to why they were only discussing cutting the mats. After seeing the pictures of a modified mat, I decided I'd wait. I then found the post with the "bad" vs. "good" mats, and determined my mats are under the "bad" category but at the same time I do not see how they could possibly catch the gas pedal. I've had my mats installed/removed multiple times and there's just no way they'd get caught without me screwing up the installation. But perhaps it really does depend on where you have your pedals set (assuming adjustable pedals). I'll wait this one out and see when/if they contact me with a second notice to come in and pick up my new mat(s). I sure hope they give matching sets and not just a new driver's side that may be under a different color family.

On a side note, I actually received two notices. My truck was supposed to have factory slush mats but someone had taken the luxury of swapping them out for carpet before I bought it. I informed the dealership that I wanted the slush mats as the sticker showed, so they ordered me a set and let me keep the carpet mats since it was going to take a week to get the mats (it actually took 2 weeks because they ordered the wrong color first). I suppose this also means whoever took my original mats for their truck will not get a recall notification. I sure hope they don't have an accident where the gas pedal gets stuck behind the mats they STOLE out of my truck while it was on the lot! ;-)
All indications are that they will only replacing the driver mat. Would be nice to get a full set but I don't see that happening. As far as someone swapping floor mats with you, you can thank the sales associate that sold the truck to the other guy. Customers aren't allowed to do that, and often aren't aware that it even happenes.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got my notice today. I'm ambivalent about doing anything. I like my mats and I'm sure as hell not letting anyone carve pieces off of it. I don't mind getting a new mat as long as it is as good as my old mat. Otherwise, I will just not be a moron and make sure my mat isn't stuck at the accelerator pedal.

Barqs

Reaction score
I got my notice today. I'm ambivalent about doing anything. I like my mats and I'm sure as hell not letting anyone carve pieces off of it. I don't mind getting a new mat as long as it is as good as my old mat. Otherwise, I will just not be a moron and make sure my mat isn't stuck at the accelerator pedal.
Yeah, this one will probably stay in my VIN records until I sell it or trade it in. My '95 Wrangler has a similar recall floating out there that I never worried about getting fixed either.

BilletLaramie57

Reaction score
I sure hope they give matching sets and not just a new driver's side that may be under a different color family.

Rebel owners will be upset about this one. They no longer make the mats with the red Ram logo... Unless they do something special for this circumstance, Rebel owners may get a whole new set. Hope FCA gets that figured out along with everything else in this one...

_StangPGH

Reaction score
No. If you get the mat modified, you get a new mat. If you wait and do not get the mat modified, you get a new mat. Once there are mats in the parts network, the recall remedy will change. Everyone, at some point, will be getting a new mat.
I don't have a determined ETA to share right now, there have been rumblings of Novemebr.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares

4fqdho.gif

Wsmith

Reaction score
Katlin, I purchased the redesigned AD mats off Amazon two weeks ago. The Mopar barcode had a 6/20 date on it so they've been around for a while. Perhaps what they are saying is that the "extra" mat production run to satisfy the recall aren't available yet.

View attachment 67705
I looked on amazon. The mats did not indicate they were redesigned. Did you order them specifically because they were redesigned or you just needed mats and the redesigned ones were the ones they shipped?

Wsmith

Reaction score
I adjusted my pedals fully out and fully back, I can see no way the pedal could contact the ridges unless it became un-attached and slid forward.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I looked on amazon. The mats did not indicate they were redesigned. Did you order them specifically because they were redesigned or you just needed mats and the redesigned ones were the ones they shipped?
I just ordered them...this was weeks before the recall.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
l got the recall notice yesterday regarding the all weather floor liner on the drivers floorboard. In 7 months, mine has never given me a problem once. My guess is the people having issues aren't snapping them into place properly. I really don't want to lose material around the accel pedal because the entire point of the floor mat is to keep junk off the carpet. I may skip this one as long as I can.

moonfire

Reaction score
I took my truck in for warranty service a couple weeks ago and got a phone call saying they were going to replace a mat due to a recall while the truck was in for the warranty service, but no other explanation was given. I picked up my truck and had to ask about the mat before I left because I saw no new mats. The guy from the dealership showed me where they cut my mat up. I was pissed that they cut it without my approval. Now I have a defective mat that's not protecting the floor underneath effectively. Not only that, but I never have my foot pedals set even near the lowest settings and the risk was non existent for me. l would have waited for the replacement mats instead of having my current one cut. Dealership refuses to do anything to solve the issue right away and says all I can do is wait for the replacement, which still has no date. I called ram customer support and got a similar response.

I get the safety issue, but it's my property and I have the right to assess the risk myself and to choose what to do. Fixing one defect by creating a new one is ridiculous, but with as many issues that my 2019 has had, I probably shouldn't be surprised by the level of incompetence by the manufacturer and the dealership at this point.

Last edited:

highgear2005

Reaction score
My mat, will never see the dealership! I’ll pull over and throw it in my covered bed,And play stupid! If they want to fix it, then they can replace it! Had my truck a year now and no issues with the mat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barqs

Reaction score
I took my truck in for warranty service a couple weeks ago and got a phone call saying they were going to replace a mat due to a recall while the truck was in for the warranty service, but no other explanation was given. I picked up my truck and had to ask about the mat before I left because I saw no new mats. The guy from the dealership showed me where they cut my mat up. I was pissed that they cut it without my approval. Now I have a defective mat that's not protecting the floor underneath effectively. Not only that, but I never have my foot pedals set even near the lowest settings and the risk was non existent for me. l would have waited for the replacement mats instead of having my current one cut. Dealership refuses to do anything to solve the issue right away and says all I can do is wait for the replacement, which still has no date. I called ram customer support and got a similar response.

I get the safety issue, but it's my property and I have the right to assess the risk myself and to choose what to do. Fixing one defect by creating a new one is ridiculous, but with as many issues that my 2019 has had, I probably shouldn't be surprised by the level of incompetence by the manufacturer and the dealership at this point.

That sucks, but thanks for the reminder. I planned to take mine in next week and would have been livid if they cut my mat without asking for permission first. I will do the same as the other poster and pull my mats before dropping my truck off for sure!

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score

File a police report for vandalism.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

That really sucks, and I can appreciate your "disappointment" with your dealership. This type of thing does FCA no favors in winning over buyers. But I can also understand their position. They're kind of between a rock and a hard place (the customer and FCA). They're told to take care of recalls, and that's what they half-way did here. What they did wrong was not to tell you they had to do a temporary fix until the new mats come in, in which case you could have opted out of the recall fix. I have been aware of this temporary fix since before I received my recall notice, and have decided they won't touch my mat. If I need to take my truck in for service between now and when the new mats are available, the driver side mat will be staying in my garage to avoid any "accidental" recall fixes.

I know it's not ideal, but for the short term I'd apply some good tape from the underside of the mat to keep most if not all of any dirt/mud/water off the carpet. It should work until the new mats are handed out. I've heard mid to late November before we start seeing them.

HoosierTrooper

Reaction score
Took mine in to have the door panel replaced on the drivers side rear door, the factory put the wrong trim on it. They said they took care of the floor mat recall while it was there. As far as I can tell they did absolutely nothing to the mat, it looks exactly the same as it did before and the service manager said he knew nothing about the mats being replaced. The paperwork just said it was inspected and showed .2 hours labor.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a set of the carpeted mats in my garage. When I go back for the next oil change in December, those go in and rubber mats come out. I'll use the opportunity to clean mine real good. Though I'm not really too nervous about them doing anything to mine; most workers here are lazy bastards and aren't going to do anything not requested. But I'd rather be safe.

I wonder if/when the new mats come in, will they make you trade an old mat for a new mat?

BilletLaramie57

Reaction score
Asking a customer before the RO is even dispatched is the correct way to handle this issue at this time.

It makes the customer aware of the issue, if they haven't received a letter (which is the primary concern IMO) and it allows the customer to make a decision for their own property. Shows that the dealership cares about the completion of safety concerns and that they care for their customers by asking when it comes to a very very grey area temporary recall solution that FCA had zero choice over to satisfy the NHTSA.

Users who are viewing this thread