5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Floor Mat Recall

Rapper

Reaction score
Owners...this happened to me in my 3 week old 2020 Bighorn. Waiting in ferry line. Removed my Drivers side mat and shook it out. Started the truck and it accelerated !!! Thought throttle stuck! Scary as hell!!!! The mat side was resting on the accelerator, not under it! Figured it out on the the ferry ride. Be certain the mat is replaced UNDER the accerator! Guess dealers will cut a chunk out of the mat as a fix!

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yeah, just heard the news, apparently its the position you place your pedals and the all weather mats can get stuck with the pedal.

I'll check mine before I drive and adjust them. Apparently the dealer will modify the mats until updated replacements become available.

The good thing is our trucks have that throttle override, so if both the brake pedal and accelerator are pressed at the same time, the throttle will be cut.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this happened to you, but for me it's common sense to make sure the mat is under the accelerator. I've always been wary of this since I've owned a vehicle with floor mats. The proper fix would be to replace it with a redesigned mat, and if that's what the fix will be I'll let them do it. If the fix is to cut a chunk out of the mat I'm not going to comply with this recall. I'm not letting a dealer cut a chunk out of my floor mat LOL.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Sorry to hear this happened to you, but for me it's common sense to make sure the mat is under the accelerator. I've always been wary of this since I've owned a vehicle with floor mats. The proper fix would be to replace it with a redesigned mat, and if that's what the fix will be I'll let them do it. If the fix is to cut a chunk out of the mat I'm not going to comply with this recall. I'm not letting a dealer cut a chunk out of my floor mat LOL.

That will be the fix, but in the meantime, the dealer will cut them until the new replacements come in. I'm just going to make sure they don't interfere, I'll go to the dealer once the new mats actually become available. I rather have the dealer not touch my truck unless absolutely necessary.

TheMopars

Reaction score
Be certain the mat is replaced UNDER the accerator!

It's the same with my Weather Tech mats. The first couple if times I reinstalled them after cleaning I noticed it
was very easy for them to end up resting on the pedal rather than underneath it if I wasn't paying attention when
installing. I just make sure they're under the pedal now every time. I'd rather do that than cut the mat. I was planning
to switch to the Mopar mats but not if they have to cut them before they can sell them.

Rapper

Reaction score
Not sure what the dealer will do. Just guessing. I’ve got plenty of common sense and it’s still easy to do. Especially when your ferry line is moving and you throw them back in place. Check it every time for sure now! The throttle override did work though! :)

Rapper

Reaction score
It's the same with my Weather Tech mats. The first couple if times I reinstalled them after cleaning I noticed it
was very easy for them to end up resting on the pedal rather than underneath it if I wasn't paying attention when
installing. I just make sure they're under the pedal now every time. I'd rather do that than cut the mat. I was planning
to switch to the Mopar mats but not if they have to cut them before they can sell them.
The mats rock! No issues with them. Just have to pay attention when reinstalling.

The Critic

Reaction score
Maybe the original uncut ones will be on sale
I still see them on sale on eBay. In fact, I am considering a purchase now before they stop allowing sales. I would rather have the extra bit of protection.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I like my mats pretty good. Considering my work boots are always covered in mud and sawdust they do a good job of keeping the carpet looking like hell. I prefer the softies when I'm going on a leisure trip but for everyday working the all weather are fantastic, best I've ever had in a truck. The softies by contrast are almost the worst floor mats I've had in a truck - that type of pile looks like hell in no time. The floor mats in my Titan were 15 years old and still looked pretty good after 160k miles and lots of mud, because they had that tight woven pile.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Not sure what the dealer will do. Just guessing. I’ve got plenty of common sense and it’s still easy to do. Especially when your ferry line is moving and you throw them back in place. Check it every time for sure now! The throttle override did work though! :)
Glad to hear nothing bad happened. Maybe you want to save the detailing for when you're home :p

I had a floor mat issue happen to me years ago. The stock floor mats in an old Honda I used to own would ride forward in the foot well and bunch up under the pedals. I got used to adjusting it while driving most of the time, but one time it bunched up under the brake enough to affect pedal movement. Thankfully I didn't need to stop in a hurry, but it could have been an issue if had happened under different circumferences. I fixed it by anchoring it to the floor like most floor mats are now.

RamCares

Reaction score
Owners...this happened to me in my 3 week old 2020 Bighorn. Waiting in ferry line. Removed my Drivers side mat and shook it out. Started the truck and it accelerated !!! Thought throttle stuck! Scary as hell!!!! The mat side was resting on the accelerator, not under it! Figured it out on the the ferry ride. Be certain the mat is replaced UNDER the accerator! Guess dealers will cut a chunk out of the mat as a fix!
So sorry to hear this! Have you had any concerns since? Let us know if we can help with anything.

The recall repair is to take off some of the ribbing from the mat. Once the new redesigned mats are available, customers will be able to get those free of charge.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
The recall repair is to take off some of the ribbing from the mat. Once the new redesigned mats are available, customers will be able to get those free of charge.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares
Thanks for the info Kaitlin. I think I'll just wait it out for the replacements.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I love the mats and have had no issues. If you pay attention to making sure they are under the pedal it shouldn’t be a problem. I’ll wait for the new ones but I really like the coverage of the current mat.

AZHUND

Reaction score
Does anyone have pictures of how much the dealer will cut off? Afraid they will butcher the mat if I go in for any kind of service before the new design is released so would rather do this myself (based on the inability for dealers to put the right amount of oil in my JLU, don't trust them with sharp objects....).

SSN765

Reaction score
So funny I just had my mats replaced under warranty due to the front passenger side hold down clip broken. They will only replace it as a set so now I have a brand new set which will be replaced again! Just did this last week and they were the same style. You would think they would have delayed the approval of the mats so close to a recall which I assume they (ram) would have known. Had to send in pictures of the broken mat to get approval first. Maybe the thought was we have to get rid of these old mats anyway! Lol. I have to say whenever I have a warranty issue (brake light, overhead console etc) or mention a TSB tmy dealer is all over it.

Rich51

Reaction score
So sorry to hear this! Have you had any concerns since? Let us know if we can help with anything.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares

@RamCares what happens if we bought a set off another member and they were not stock our bought through MOPAR? We will be able to get it replaced or is that just bad luck?

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From FCA:
When asked to clarify what interference meant, an FCA spokesperson told C/D, "The floor mat has ribs. The pedals are adjustable. When the pedal is set at certain positions, there may be interference with some mats."

Based on that explanation and looking at my mats I'm not sure how this can happen or what they would cut out to prevent it.

frontmats.jpg

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From FCA:
When asked to clarify what interference meant, an FCA spokesperson told C/D, "The floor mat has ribs. The pedals are adjustable. When the pedal is set at certain positions, there may be interference with some mats."

Based on that explanation and looking at my mats I'm not sure how this can happen or what they would cut out to prevent it.

View attachment 67427
Looking at you picture I am wondering if the pedal was adjusted closer to the driver and pushed to the floor if it could catch the edge of the pedal on those raised ribs and the pedal would not return to neutral when you took your foot off?

Users who are viewing this thread