5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Floor Mat Recall

Waterfowler41

Ram Guru
Reaction score
[mention]RamCares [/mention]

Like the post above states, the recall doesn’t mentioned replacement mats just that the current ones will be modified. I only read in news articles and a Consumer reports that the mats will be trimmed until replacements are available.

1. Where can we find confirmation that the mats will be replaced and the trimming is only temporary?

2. Also, how should we expect to contacted once the newer mats are available? Do we have to call our dealers or will they be calling us when the mats are ready?

Thanks,

WF41

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I noticed that in the recall notice I received last week. I came to the conclusion that there is no way my gas pedal can even come close to contacting the floor mat, no matter where my pedals are adjusted to. Not sure how that could even happen. I find it hard to believe that they won't offer a replacement mat. If their permanent fix is to cut the ribs off that's bush league. And doesn't even qualify as a redneck fix unless they at least use duct tape on the bottom to cover the holes LOL.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I noticed that in the recall notice I received last week. I came to the conclusion that there is no way my gas pedal can even come close to contacting the floor mat, no matter where my pedals are adjusted to. Not sure how that could even happen. I find it hard to believe that they won't offer a replacement mat. If their permanent fix is to cut the ribs off that's bush league. And doesn't even qualify as a redneck fix unless they at least use duct tape on the bottom to cover the holes LOL.

I think if you have a certain model of mats, they will catch. There are "good" ones already on trucks that don't need to be replaced.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I think if you have a certain model of mats, they will catch. There are "good" ones already on trucks that don't need to be replaced.
I've verified that I have the "defective" floor mat, based on Florida Truck's post #27 in this thread.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I've verified that I have the "defective" floor mat, based on Florida Truck's post #27 in this thread.

Oh gotcha, then I'm pretty confused as well about it. I checked my own mats and there is no way they can make contact with the pedals regardless of pedal position setting. The only thing I can think of is if they get unmounted, they can of course make contact. Maybe the recall is due to the mounting system that can allow that to happen?

RamCares

Reaction score
[mention]RamCares [/mention]

Like the post above states, the recall doesn’t mentioned replacement mats just that the current ones will be modified. I only read in news articles and a Consumer reports that the mats will be trimmed until replacements are available.

1. Where can we find confirmation that the mats will be replaced and the trimming is only temporary?

2. Also, how should we expect to contacted once the newer mats are available? Do we have to call our dealers or will they be calling us when the mats are ready?

Thanks,

WF41

If you get the mat modified, you will be included under a customer satisfaction notice once the new mats come in. You will receive communication like you would for a recall in the mail that says you can come in and get the new mat.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
If you get the mat modified, you will be included under a customer satisfaction notice once the new mats come in. You will receive communication like you would for a recall in the mail that says you can come in and get the new mat.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares
So let me see if I understand this Kaitlin, we will be notified by mail when we can go in and get the new mat after doing the recall fix. But does that mean we won't get a new mat if we don't have our existing mat modified? I seriously don't want to drive around with an all weather floor mat that has holes in it, especially now that fall is pretty much here. How long might we have to do this?

RamCares

Reaction score
So let me see if I understand this Kaitlin, we will be notified by mail when we can go in and get the new mat after doing the recall fix. But does that mean we won't get a new mat if we don't have our existing mat modified? I seriously don't want to drive around with an all weather floor mat that has holes in it, especially now that fall is pretty much here. How long might we have to do this?

No. If you get the mat modified, you get a new mat. If you wait and do not get the mat modified, you get a new mat. Once there are mats in the parts network, the recall remedy will change. Everyone, at some point, will be getting a new mat.
I don't have a determined ETA to share right now, there have been rumblings of Novemebr.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
No. If you get the mat modified, you get a new mat. If you wait and do not get the mat modified, you get a new mat. Once there are mats in the parts network, the recall remedy will change. Everyone, at some point, will be getting a new mat.
I don't have a determined ETA to share right now, there have been rumblings of Novemebr.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares
Thanks for clarifying Kaitlin!

BilletLaramie57

Reaction score
@RamCares

If an owner comes in with a truck that applies to the recall, the mats are inspected and found to be the ones requiring modifying, are they allowed to refuse the recall trimming and wait for the replacement mat that you are saying will be released at a later date? Is there any consequence for owner refusal to the dealership or the truck owner?

Pretty sure most of use really would not like to have holes in $125+ floor mats and would prefer to wait for the complete full replacement when it becomes available.

Obviously, NHTSA regulations forced FCA's hand on this one to release a correction to avoid legal problems. Once a singular replacement mat is supplied by the vendor and FCA has them packaged up and in the parts channel I am sure everyone will get the updated notification to come get your mat replaced.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@RamCares

If an owner comes in with a truck that applies to the recall, the mats are inspected and found to be the ones requiring modifying, are they allowed to refuse the recall trimming and wait for the replacement mat that you are saying will be released at a later date? Is there any consequence for owner refusal to the dealership or the truck owner?

Pretty sure most of use really would not like to have holes in $125+ floor mats and would prefer to wait for the complete full replacement when it becomes available.

Obviously, NHTSA regulations forced FCA's hand on this one to release a correction to avoid legal problems. Once a singular replacement mat is supplied by the vendor and FCA has them packaged up and in the parts channel I am sure everyone will get the updated notification to come get your mat replaced.
I will be taking my truck for service in two weeks and I plan to reject the modification. It’s a ridiculous remedy. I have seen numerous recalls on vehicles that were actually serious safety issues (air bag, seat belt, door latches...) and nothing was done until parts came in. Why do they need to hack up a perfectly good mat when parts aren’t available yet and may not be for months? No doubt the modification looks like crap.

BilletLaramie57

Reaction score
No doubt the modification looks like crap.

It does.

Amazing what laws and regulations have done to the industry to these days. I'm sure some poor person at FCA had to think of an idea to remedy this due to NHTSA rules and this temporary fix was the best they could come up with while they dealt with supply chain and packaging issues for the new part.

Reactions: MJP

Waterfowler41

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had the recall performed yesterday.

Looks like crap but I completely get it. The dealership told me I will receive a letter in the mail when the new mats are available to replace the modified originals. They could not give me a timeline which sucks.

@RamCares Any sort of timeline here? Trying to figure out if I am duct taping these holes up before winter?

HemiDude

Reaction score
I have the suspect mats. I adjusted my pedals all the way down, all the way up, smashed the gas and brake pedals as far as they could go.... There's no way in God's Green Earth my accelerator pedal can get near my mat. That said, if Dodge wants to replace my year-old mats free of charge, I'll take them!

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have the suspect mats. I adjusted my pedals all the way down, all the way up, smashed the gas and brake pedals as far as they could go.... There's no way in God's Green Earth my accelerator pedal can get near my mat. That said, if Dodge wants to replace my year-old mats free of charge, I'll take them!
I found the same thing. No way for the gas pedal to get anywhere near those ribs. I agree that I'll be happy to take a new mat, but to be clear, it's just the driver's mat they're replacing. Which is fine with me since the other mats rarely see any use.

RamCares

Reaction score
@RamCares

You can say no to the recall and wait for the new mat. The dealer will probably just mark it on the repair order. There isn't a consequence as far as I know.

I had the recall performed yesterday.

Looks like crap but I completely get it. The dealership told me I will receive a letter in the mail when the new mats are available to replace the modified originals. They could not give me a timeline which sucks.

@RamCares Any sort of timeline here? Trying to figure out if I am duct taping these holes up before winter?

I don't have a time line but as soon as I do, I will make sure to post it here.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares

Waterfowler41

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can say no to the recall and wait for the new mat. The dealer will probably just mark it on the repair order. There isn't a consequence as far as I know.

I don't have a time line but as soon as I do, I will make sure to post it here.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares

Thank you! We will keep our ears and eyes out. Appreciate the Ram OEM presence on the forum.

Nukegm426

Reaction score
Seems like they’re waiting on the manufacturer to make a run of just driver side matt’s. They’ve obviously changed the mold but make them in sets.

Barqs

Reaction score
I really appreciate all of the input on this forum from fellow Ram owners. When I read my recall that was in the mail today, I was confused as to why they were only discussing cutting the mats. After seeing the pictures of a modified mat, I decided I'd wait. I then found the post with the "bad" vs. "good" mats, and determined my mats are under the "bad" category but at the same time I do not see how they could possibly catch the gas pedal. I've had my mats installed/removed multiple times and there's just no way they'd get caught without me screwing up the installation. But perhaps it really does depend on where you have your pedals set (assuming adjustable pedals). I'll wait this one out and see when/if they contact me with a second notice to come in and pick up my new mat(s). I sure hope they give matching sets and not just a new driver's side that may be under a different color family.

On a side note, I actually received two notices. My truck was supposed to have factory slush mats but someone had taken the luxury of swapping them out for carpet before I bought it. I informed the dealership that I wanted the slush mats as the sticker showed, so they ordered me a set and let me keep the carpet mats since it was going to take a week to get the mats (it actually took 2 weeks because they ordered the wrong color first). I suppose this also means whoever took my original mats for their truck will not get a recall notification. I sure hope they don't have an accident where the gas pedal gets stuck behind the mats they STOLE out of my truck while it was on the lot! ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread