5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust manifold recall

mmills88`

Reaction score
I'm not much of a mechanic....but would this be what the "sounds like ticking-popping" noise in front of my truck would be. Sounds like something in the exhaust, goes away after the engine has been on for awhile....any help would be appreciated. Oil is fine, so I know its not that. 2019 Ram with 69000

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes. It sounds like ticking that varies with engine RPMs. A metallic tick.

Normally, when it first starts, it is faint and you can only hear it from outside the truck, when you first start a cold engine.

It progresses so that it gets louder and you can hear it from in the cab on a cold engine start.

In the early to mid stages like that, it normally goes away when the engine is warmed up.

Personally, I think the truck is still fine to drive like that, if you're waiting on parts or whatever to get it repaired.

When it gets to the point where you can hear it clearly, all the time, even after the engine is warmed up, then I'm not sure you aren't risking some potential damage by continuing to drive it. My suspicion is that the reduced back pressure from a big exhaust manifold leak could result in one or more affected cylinders starting to run lean, which means hot.

mmills88`

Reaction score
Yes. It sounds like ticking that varies with engine RPMs. A metallic tick.

Normally, when it first starts, it is faint and you can only hear it from outside the truck, when you first start a cold engine.

It progresses so that it gets louder and you can hear it from in the cab on a cold engine start.

In the early to mid stages like that, it normally goes away when the engine is warmed up.

Personally, I think the truck is still fine to drive like that, if you're waiting on parts or whatever to get it repaired.

When it gets to the point where you can hear it clearly, all the time, even after the engine is warmed up, then I'm not sure you aren't risking some potential damage by continuing to drive it. My suspicion is that the reduced back pressure from a big exhaust manifold leak could result in one or more affected cylinders starting to run lean, which means hot.
Thank you for that information. I went on Youtube, typed in exhaust manifold leak and that is the exact sound I am hearing.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Would anyone like to see the TSB for manifold leaks? It will surprise you that it's not a recall.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is great, it's comical, I can't help but LOL

Attachments

• 96c8093d-3292-447a-bac6-0fbeb377025b.pdf
    742.4 KB · Views: 241

Av1

Reaction score
This is great, it's comical, I can't help but LOL
Cbty2050,

I have not done the research and you will be the guy to ask. Are these manifold kit numbers, listed in the bulletin, an improved design to help eliminate cracking? Secondly, if they are improved versions, have you seen failures with these kit numbers?

Thanks in advance.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Cbty2050,

I have not done the research and you will be the guy to ask. Are these manifold kit numbers, listed in the bulletin, an improved design to help eliminate cracking? Secondly, if they are improved versions, have you seen failures with these kit numbers?

Thanks in advance.
The kits haven't been around very long, I find it interesting that it doesn't include the 2022 year. I can't say for certain that they are different manifolds, I assume they are a new variation. Time will tell.

Reactions: Av1

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What do you find comical about it?
It's a TSB to replace the manifold for a crack. It's not like everyone knows what is happening.

Side note, the labor times jumped from 1.9 for the RH and 2.2 for the LH.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Should be a recall since it can cause exhaust fumes to enter the cabin, therefore making the drivers and/or passengers sick. It can also affect the engine performance, and damage the cylinder head over time. @RamCares any news on this? It’s been a poor design for years.

Bob.

Reaction score
I assume they won't voluntarily fix it unless you have a problem. It would cost them millions for a 100% recall, "bring them all in".

2019Raven

Reaction score
Until numerous people die for the exhaust fumes they will not even entertain a recall.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i can't believe this is still an issue on an engine that has been in production for almost 20 years now.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i can't believe this is still an issue on an engine that has been in production for almost 20 years now.
I would say broken bolts and cracked manifolds are different. I do get what you are getting at.

I can see potentially an extended warranty on the manifolds not a recall.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Well at least fix it for free if you do have a problem. Like they did with the AAD, which is not serious at all.

Last edited:

tdog65

Reaction score
I'm in this same boat, 2020 ram limited has been a great truck. I thought I got lucky and missed all the know bugs with the truck but the leaking manifold got me. I've been waiting for 2 months since diagnosed. The problem is I drive about 5k miles a month so worried it would cause some long-term damage. The dealer says it won't and he has 10 sets on order for warranty replacement. Other than this it's been a great truck so far. Whats the average length people are waiting to get the parts in?

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm in this same boat, 2020 ram limited has been a great truck. I thought I got lucky and missed all the know bugs with the truck but the leaking manifold got me. I've been waiting for 2 months since diagnosed. The problem is I drive about 5k miles a month so worried it would cause some long-term damage. The dealer says it won't and he has 10 sets on order for warranty replacement. Other than this it's been a great truck so far. Whats the average length people are waiting to get the parts in?
You shouldn't be waiting that long anymore, plenty of stock available. I would call your dealer and check. The part numbers have already changed since September.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Should be a recall since it can cause exhaust fumes to enter the cabin, therefore making the drivers and/or passengers sick. It can also affect the engine performance, and damage the cylinder head over time. @RamCares any news on this? It’s been a poor design for years.
Hey there,

At this time, we do not have an recalls for this particular issue.

Callie
Ram Cares

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/