5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust manifold recall

Bullcycles

Reaction score
Mine is/are getting bad as well. Tugged on the heat shields, nothing broken there. Looks like I have the updated brackets on the upper flange.. guessing the manifold itself is cracked. Dealer has a waiting list for replacements. Think I will remove the heat shields and see if I can find and weld the cracks for now.

One thing after another with this "new" Ram

josh_4184

Reaction score
Same here, passenger side sounds like a tank when I first start it up, have appointment tomorrow hopefully dealer has parts in inventory to replace.

josh_4184

Reaction score
Dealership replaced both Exhaust Manifolds DS/PS as both were cracked under powertrain warranty. They had the parts in stock luckily almost $800 warranty claim. I had to pay another $500 for other repairs not covered by warranty as my 36/3year is gone now.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dealership replaced both Exhaust Manifolds DS/PS as both were cracked under powertrain warranty. They had the parts in stock luckily almost $800 warranty claim. I had to pay another $500 for other repairs not covered by warranty as my 36/3year is gone now.

Just curious what other repairs you needed and how many miles are on your truck?

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just discovered my passenger side exhaust manifold was leaking. I called my local dealer to schedule an appointment. The service advisor told me that a recall for the exhaust manifolds is to start sometime in September. He stated that it is to be a redesigned exhaust manifold installed with the recall.
When is this recall hitting?

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
When is this recall hitting?

I'd be shocked if they run this through as a recall. From what I understand, coupled with years of working on cars/trucks/motorcycles/boats...it's a very time consuming and PITA of a repair. If you've ever had to pull an EM or set of headers before, the real party begins when the bolts break...which tends to happen a lot. Not to mention there's no room in modern day engine bays.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd be shocked if they run this through as a recall. From what I understand, coupled with years of working on cars/trucks/motorcycles/boats...it's a very time consuming and PITA of a repair. If you've ever had to pull an EM or set of headers before, the real party begins when the bolts break...which tends to happen a lot. Not to mention there's no room in modern day engine bays.
I can do both sides in the 5th gen truck in 2-3 hours, the bolts don't break like the 4th gen. I know the 1st run of 19 DTs have the same manifolds as the 4th gen, those are the exception of broken bolts. If you jack the engine up a little you can get on the manifold bolts much easier.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
I can do both sides in the 5th gen truck in 2-3 hours, the bolts don't break like the 4th gen. I know the 1st run of 19 DTs have the same manifolds as the 4th gen, those are the exception of broken bolts. If you jack the engine up a little you can get on the manifold bolts much easier.

That's really impressive. Not doubting you. You work for a dealer? I've heard stories of dealers having techs they dedicate to that repair because they're just incredibly good at what they do.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Are the 2022 trucks still using the exact same problematic manifolds as the older trucks or have they updated them now? I assume that they are replacing these under the TSB with an updated part, right? So the new trucks should already have the update?

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are the 2022 trucks still using the exact same problematic manifolds as the older trucks or have they updated them now? I assume that they are replacing these under the TSB with an updated part, right? So the new trucks should already have the update?
All trucks from mid 2019 and up have the newer design w/ the tie bars under the bolts. I haven't had any bolts broken off with that design, just cracked manifolds. Now they have a "kit" for the repair, the kit includes, manifold, gasket, bolts, tie bars, and heat shield. Its priced around $100/side.

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All trucks from mid 2019 and up have the newer design w/ the tie bars under the bolts. I haven't had any bolts broken off with that design, just cracked manifolds. Now they have a "kit" for the repair, the kit includes, manifold, gasket, bolts, tie bars, and heat shield. Its priced around $100/side.
Did you by any chance know the part number for that kit?

rustybuckets

Reaction score
I posted this in the Maintenance sub-forum, but my 2020 1500 Longhorn with 43k has an exhaust manifold leak diagnosed this week. I can't remember the details due to another concern, but it's to be repaired under warranty except for a $270 gasket.

I don't know the turnaround time because the MGU was also bad, so the truck will be at the dealer for about 45 days.

Good luck with your exhaust manifolds.

cliffsta

Reaction score
Do the manifolds go bad on every truck? Is there anything preventative that can be done? I’m new to Ram / FCA. Haven’t even gotten my truck yet lol

rustybuckets

Reaction score
Replacing the manifolds should be ZERO out of pocket expense under warranty.
Agreed, and it makes no sense. The MGU issue completely distracted me from questioning it further, but I will address it with them.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Agreed, and it makes no sense. The MGU issue completely distracted me from questioning it further, but I will address it with them.
Only thing I could think of is the muffler pipe gasket and bolts. The bolts can break and cause a leak.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Do the manifolds go bad on every truck? Is there anything preventative that can be done? I’m new to Ram / FCA. Haven’t even gotten my truck yet lol
Not every truck . This is my 3rd Ram with the Hemi and I haven’t had it happen on any of them ( knock on wood ) .

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone have an audio recording of what this sounds like? I'm fairly certain my passenger side started leaking. Also, is there any downside to continuing to drive it while I'm waiting for parts/service appointments, etc?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online