5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine stalled / shut off

enl3x1

Reaction score
2020 ram 1500 5.7 limited 4x4 with 5k miles on it. i Was easing out of the garage, …………, and then it stalled twice while at 20 mph, including 100' before my driveway. Check engine light is on.
Did some more testing with RO before getting it to dealer, even with AS/S disabled the issues occured. Drove it to the dealer, they recognized the issue and claimed the problem was with the actual Stop/Start/Accessory push button on the dashboard. Part was warrantied and truck works fine now.

I heard from someone who works in Stellantis and another fellow who operates a repair shop that the problem is we don't drive our trucks enough. For example, i didn't drive this truck the entire month of June and just now hit 6k miles after 19 months. They said to suggest the dealer check and replace both (!) batteries.

Whatever the engineers at ram were imbibing when they developed the AS/S module, needs to be outlawed. Your module shouldnt' A. require parasitic drain period B. suffer from amperage or voltage drops over time, nor should the computer which controls it. It ain't 1980 no mo.
Dear Ram: Fire every manager who loves manuals, and foster a culture of proper solutions for electronic components, rather than shoehorning, making do, and a culture of fear and terror at the engineering level over losing ones job for not developing the cheapest quickest patch to an issue.

it kills me that after 7 months there's been no communications or press releases from Ram. Imagine if Tesla pulled a stunt like this.

Last edited:

OKCRamGuy

Reaction score
My 2020 Ram (Hemi) started having the same issue with randomly shutting off while driving. Any/all conditions and speeds. Took it to the dealer and it did show a Start/Stop button fault. They swapped it out, and so far so good. Another friend of mine has family who works on Rams and has seen this issue before. Recommends checking both batteries to ensure proper voltage is being supplied.

whozurddy2003

Reaction score
This happened to me 2 days in a row, just dropped it off at the dealer - 2021 Ram 1500 Limited E-Torque 3k miles. Both days: slow speed, maybe 20 mph driving for first time during the day., slowed down to make a turn- probably 5-7mph, truck stalled (engine died), started to come to a stop and the transmission grinded trying to put itself in park and the e-brake was automatically applied. I hope this gets resolved, the dealer told me absolutely no bulletins and the first time he has heard of it.

Any resolutions? sounds like some folks have tried some repairs.
Sounds like a similar issue I am having with my 2021 Ram 1500 Limited. It has stalled on me twice now while making a right turn. Engine shuts down and the first time it put on the parking brake, but this morning when it stalled, I just put it in neutral and it started back up. Sounds like a very dangerous issue that Dodge needs to look into immediately. First American made truck I have bought in quite some time. Only has 4K miles on it. Already thinking about trading for another Tundra. I should have stayed with Toyota.

DubC

Reaction score
how can anyone be truly sure anything on the truck is 'fixed' after the dealer applies any patch or part repair when this particular issue is so inconsistent and sporadic? there's no particular trigger to make this happen that i can tell from what has happened to me nor from what i've read here. until they can reproduce the issue and show it's fixed, i don't believe any shop. i'm not even blaming the dealerships (for a change), but RAM tech needs to get this on a higher priority than just guess work and RAM care posts.

U

User_72751

I have a 2021 Laramie with a build date of 3-2021 NON ETORQUE and right around 500 miles on it now and mine has done the stalling thing 3 times so far. It's always been within a few minutes of driving the truck after sitting overnight. I'm taking it in next week and I'm pretty sure that they are not going to find anything, after all how do you find an issue that is super intermittent when you can't duplicate it.

U

User_72751

thinking about trading for another Tundra. I should have stayed with Toyota.
I wanted another Tundra in the worst way (I've had a 2008 and a 2013) but they are soooooo dated and behind the times and I wanted a few more creature comforts in the new truck.

Rebel Rick

Reaction score
Good morning everybody. Seems I'm not the only one. I have a 2019 Rebel, 5.7 Hemi, no auto stop/start, not E-torque, a little over 24k miles. A couple of weeks ago, I was driving in heavy traffic about 40-45mph. The steering became heavy, A/C stopped cooling, and a few seconds later, multiple warning lights on dash. Rolled up to a red light, and stopped. I noticed the RPM & fuel indicators were both at zero. I thought the truck had died. I put it in park, pressed the start button, and nothing happened. I popped the hood and took a look. To my surprise, the engine was running! So I get back in, and tried to shift to Drive, but the shifter was locked in Park. A message then popped up on the dash saying to service the transmission soon. I was stuck and the light turned green. A cop pulls up beside me and tells me to move it to the side, I'm blocking traffic. All of a sudden, the A/C started working, and the dash clears up. I drove it straight home.
Once home, I started it a few times, and all seemed well. So I pressed the lock button on the door handle to lock it so I could go in the house, but nothing happened. I noticed the dash was completely blank. I tried both key fobs, again nothing. The truck was dead again, this time, no lights, no dash indications, nothing. Then I hear what sounded like an actuator activating over and over again, coming from the transmission area. I also heard the parking brake set itself.
So I disconnected the battery, took it to auto parts store down the street and they said the battery was bad. I bought a new battery and installed it. No help! Truck was still dead, other than that actuator moving back and forth every few seconds.
I had it towed to the dealership, where its been ever since. This past Wednesday, the tech said none of the computer modules were communicating on the bus. Said he started disconnecting and reconnecting connectors and eventually got it back to normal. Now they're saying its running fine. They want to keep it a couple of days and drive it, which is fine with me, maybe they'll find something. As of now, they said they have no idea why it happened.

HPE

Reaction score
2021 Ram Limited 5.7L V8 eTorque Picked up from dealership on 7/15/21 with 18 miles. On 7/17/21 at 399 miles, I was driving straight over a bridge and got a message in the dash that the engine needs a start/stop cycle. The engine shut off and everything else was powered. I was able to coast and make a left hand turn through an intersection and was coming to a stop. At about 1 to 2 MPH the emergency park brake engaged and the vehicle put itself into Park. I hit the start button to switch the vehicle from Run to off, Applied the brake and turned off the park brake, hit the start button and the engine cranked for 10 seconds. I hit the start button 3 more times (each cranked for 10 seconds) and the 5th time it started right away. I drove a few blocks and parked for about 3 hours. I went back to the parking lot and tried to start it, it did the same 5 tries for it to start. I was driving by an AutoZone and pulled in to check codes. It did not read any codes, they tried a second scan tool and while that was connected the vehicle shut off. This time, with the tool still plugged in, it started on the first try. The next morning 7/18/21 about 405 miles, my wife was heading to the line at the pharmacy and it turned off while driving through the parking lot. It took the 5 cycles to restart. She picked me and my 5yr old and 6m old and we ran errands for the rest of the morning. We headed back home on the interstate, hit a construction zone, 4 lane down to a 2 lane and the engine shuts off at 448 miles. I was able to coast and pull it into the grass. This time, I tried to restart it about 10 times and it would not start. The battery died. The battery behind the back seat must be used for starting the engine(?) as it got hot and we could smell something. We pulled the kids out of the car after smelling a burning/hot electronics smell. After a while the smell dissipated. The truck was towed to a dealership.

Rebel Rick

Reaction score
Good morning everybody. Seems I'm not the only one. I have a 2019 Rebel, 5.7 Hemi, no auto stop/start, not E-torque, a little over 24k miles. A couple of weeks ago, I was driving in heavy traffic about 40-45mph. The steering became heavy, A/C stopped cooling, and a few seconds later, multiple warning lights on dash. Rolled up to a red light, and stopped. I noticed the RPM & fuel indicators were both at zero. I thought the truck had died. I put it in park, pressed the start button, and nothing happened. I popped the hood and took a look. To my surprise, the engine was running! So I get back in, and tried to shift to Drive, but the shifter was locked in Park. A message then popped up on the dash saying to service the transmission soon. I was stuck and the light turned green. A cop pulls up beside me and tells me to move it to the side, I'm blocking traffic. All of a sudden, the A/C started working, and the dash clears up. I drove it straight home.
Once home, I started it a few times, and all seemed well. So I pressed the lock button on the door handle to lock it so I could go in the house, but nothing happened. I noticed the dash was completely blank. I tried both key fobs, again nothing. The truck was dead again, this time, no lights, no dash indications, nothing. Then I hear what sounded like an actuator activating over and over again, coming from the transmission area. I also heard the parking brake set itself.
So I disconnected the battery, took it to auto parts store down the street and they said the battery was bad. I bought a new battery and installed it. No help! Truck was still dead, other than that actuator moving back and forth every few seconds.
I had it towed to the dealership, where its been ever since. This past Wednesday, the tech said none of the computer modules were communicating on the bus. Said he started disconnecting and reconnecting connectors and eventually got it back to normal. Now they're saying its running fine. They want to keep it a couple of days and drive it, which is fine with me, maybe they'll find something. As of now, they said they have no idea why it happened.

I picked my truck up this morning. Tech says he "reinstalled pin fitment at XY235A, all modules came back online. Test drove it for four days, no issues at this time."

So I have it back, but don't have a lot of confidence in it.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hello @whozurddy2003 and @Rebel Rick,

We understand how frustrating these stalling concerns must be. If interested, Ram Cares would like to offer our support alongside a dealer appointment. Please send us a private message with some additional context regarding the nature of your concerns along with your VIN for us to look over.

We hope you circle back with us soon!
Hannah
Ram Cares

lyndonsanders

Reaction score
The dealer my truck is at has found that the data bus is completely down when this issue occurs. Not even their scan tools can communicate to the bus. Unplugging any module in the bus causes a bus reset and then everything is ok again. The techs said the bus is a loop, unplugging any module breaks the loop. So if one module is faulty it takes the entire system down. The dealer is also trying to say the issue is only replicated with a trailer attached. In any case, these modules are all backordered and will take several weeks to get. The dealer suggested to trade the truck in. After only 3 months of ownership I have an electrical fault no one can trace, when the faulty module takes the bus down they cant read codes, FCA wont approve parts orders without the trouble codes.

This really sounds like the techs dont know what they are saying or FCA made an engineering mistake by using a loop architecture. I hope FCA steps in soon to come with a fix or offering a buyback for these garbage E-Torque vehicles.

I am wondering where others live. I was driving around the midwest with a trailer for over 1 week and didnt have an issue till I arrived in AZ. Could it be heat related? I found that the truck radiates alot of heat even driving through cooler areas and, its amplified by the 100+ ambient air temps causing a module to over heat and collapse the databus.
Hi car tunes. I'm having similar problem. While driving, the bus disables then renables after about 4mins bringing the modules back on line. These issues started after a 2650 blower, tune via a cracked pcm and 3inch exhaust was installed. Ambient air temp is about 24 degrees celcius and the car running for 25mins and the glitch occurs. The rig has been laid up at Crysler for 7.5 weeks now and they have told me they will give up searching for the glitch in 4 days. Are the new modules installed on your truck yet? Still indifferent? I like your heat thesis. I will explore further.

cartunes25

Reaction score
The dealer has contacted me and they ordered a BCM. This was the decision after involving RAM engineering. I was not given anymore details beyond this, like any indicators that led them to this conclusion. Its not clear if the new BCM is revised or if the BCM failure is caused by some other fault. To me, this appears as a shot in the dark.

I will post an update once i get it back. I hope the RO has some details, I will also see what I can get out of the Techs that worked on it.

Pedro.Rebel

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
2021 5.7L HEMI e-Torque with 5000mi.
While traveling at approximately 25mph I slowed down to stop at a stop sign and the truck start shifting down as it should. At around 5/7mph the rpms drop below 500, no feedback when applying the gas pedal and the engine stops or sometimes is able to recover. When it stops, the truck shifts to P and applies the Parking brake. I’m able to start the engine back up every time this happens but there’s something wrong for sure. I’m able to replicate this issue every time the engine is cold or haven’t been running for a long period of time
Took the truck to the dealer 2 weeks ago. They couldn’t find any codes or replicate the issue.
I was told that I need to let the truck to warm up before I can drive it. Lol.
Took it back to the dealer 2 days later after it stalled again. This time they were able to find 1 code.
P1C64-00 - Hybrid perf. Engine speed below target during autostart.
They called me last week saying they are replacing the eTorque system and got the truck back last Thursday.
Today the truck started acting weird again.

Link to dropbox with videos

skny

Reaction score
I just had it happen on my 21 Limited with 14k miles, HEMI eTorque while make a slow right turn. Only code it threw was a C10D0 which I doubt is the cause but more of a result of the stalling behavior. My Auto Start/Stop button was already set to Off. This sucks. Will be following this thread in hopes the root cause is identified and confirmed. This also occurred about 2 miles from home after using the truck the first time today. I drive it regularly and drive it last around 14 hours earlier. After I put shifter into park and turned off the parking break - it started right up.
I previously had a “stutter” after leaving the house one morning about 1/4 mile from home, but it didn’t fully stall or trip any codes.

biszgm

Reaction score
Adding mine to the list...
2021 Long Horn 5.7L HEMI e-Torque with 8800 miles - stalled 3 times at low speeds
I thought the first was a fluke but after the 3rd stall started googling and found this thread. All 3 times have been a really slow speeds, almost coasting at a turn or a light and then realizing that the engine stalled. The 2nd time was in middle of an intersection. I was able to get it through the intersection and put into neutral and restart. The 3rd stall was immediately after at a Red light. The auto park engaged at about 2-3 mph right when the light turned Green and I almost got hit from behind before I could restart and get off the road.
I love the truck but hope this is something they can solve soon since I've had my kids in the truck for two of these stalls and its a matter of time before this causes an accident.
I made an appt at my dealer today, they looked at me with a blank stare like they have never heard of this issue. Also showing no more concern than if I was asking for a tire rotation. I'm sure I'll have to start at the beginning like many of you have documented. Frustrating that there is still no guidance to the dealers on this.
I'll do a NTHSA report and also add RAM cares to my service appt. Hope someone on this thread has some luck with addressing this issue.

ben b

Reaction score
Many people on this forum have reported this issue to the NTHSA. Since this data is public (although stripped of personal identity info), I decide to survey the database.

For complaints received in 2020 and 2021 the data shows:
  • 89,397 total reports for all vehicles
  • 13,585 total reports for all 2019-2021 vehicles, all manufacturers
  • 14,751 total reports for all Chrysler/FCA vehicles of all years
  • 1,722 total reports for all 2019-2021 Chrysler vehicles
  • 335 reports for all 2019-2021 RAM 1500 trucks
  • 37 of these issues seem to be about 2019-2021 RAM 1500s shutting off unexpectedly. 20 have descriptions that reasonably match the symptoms reported in this thread; 17 may or may not be the same issue.

Overall, this seems to be one of the more common issues reported against 5th Gen 1500s especially that involve safety. Some reports are just general complaints (e.g., lousy gas mileage) and some are significant issues but not safety related (e.g., leaky back window). The scariest issue I saw were multiple reports of unintended truck acceleration, including one poor driver with a truck that pulled the accelerator to the floor and got to 105MPH. He kept trying to “toe up” the gas pedal without success so he stomped on the brake and got it down to 60MPH. He was able to shift into neutral and pull to the side of the road where he presumably changed his underwear (this wasn't specified in the report). Luckily, nobody was hurt. The driver had a video recording but the service department couldn't find the problem. The driver believes the fault is in the throttle control system. Yikes!!

Drewster

Reaction score
Whatever the engineers at ram were imbibing when they developed the AS/S module, needs to be outlawed. Your module shouldnt' A. require parasitic drain period B. suffer from amperage or voltage drops over time, nor should the computer which controls it. It ain't 1980 no mo.
This is actually the result of modern customers. In the 80's you turned the key and it would kick power on to a radio, gauge cluster, and maaaaybe a fuel injection controller. Nowadays people want modern features and forget that they have a body control computer, a powertrain control computer, central locking system, vision processor, stability control system, about four cameras, a display in the cluster, and essentially a computer in their center console... and yet they still expect to get in, hit a button, and drive.... even though some of those modules take a full minute or two to boot.

The way you get around that is having all of those modules go into a low power state and then wake up when the key FOB is detected or the door is opened. They draw microamps so the vehicle can stay in that state for days, even weeks. For folks that drive every day - the vast majority of owners - there's never an issue. However if you expect to just get in after the truck sits next to a barn for a month, you're going to have a bad time.

If that's your expectation, you should really just install a kill switch.

AlexFoolery

Reaction score
I just experience my first stall.
2021 1500 Hemi eTorque, 9066mi.
It was a cool morning(70F) and I had only driven about 5 min when it stalled. There were 5 previous stop signs along the way which I stopped and started no problem. But at the next stop sign, I stopped, I noticed the engine shut off (normal, per Auto start) but it seemed to stall on the restart - as if it didn't get enough gas. It stalled, abruptly applied the parking brake, and automaticallymoved the transmission to park. I was able to restart, continue with a short errand, and drive home the same route without another incident.
I thought the incident was related to the auto start function and after reading all the posts, that seems most likely. I've actually never pressed the A/S button to deactivate the feature but that may come in handy if problem increases and dealer has no parts. Just wanted to share and document this experience.

BrySmi1083

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Laramie 5.7 Hemi with 3k miles and was driving when multiple warning lights and bells (Auto Emergency Braking (AEB) Unavailable Service Required, Trailer Brake Service Required, 4x4 Service Required, Service Electronic Stability Control, Service Engine, ??? Module Failure) go off and the truck stalled. The lights would shut off when the truck shut off, but would happen again after about 15 minutes of driving at varied speeds from 10mph-70+mph. Got it into the dealer and they worked on it for 3.5 weeks. They replaced a gateway module, PDC, found a loose pin in a connector, added a "pigtail"(?) and thought they fixed the issue so I got the truck back. Less than 24 hours later the same things happen, truck stalls and lights come on. Couldn't get the truck started and sounded like a dead battery, but finally started. Had to have the dealer tow the truck in and now back in the shop for the 4th week. Filed a claim with FCA, NHTSA, and the dealer. FCA is helpful but they nor the dealer have a plan or end to the problems.

Users who are viewing this thread