5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine stalled / shut off

Reaction score
Hi,

My stall episode happened on 5/27 as I turned right in a round-a-bout intersection and it went in for service on 5/28. I was very lucky no one hit me as there were quite a few cars entering the intersection. I had an additional message that popped up, along with the ones in your video, that said "Auto Park Disabled" when I cranked the truck and put it in drive. I have a 2021 Ram Longhorn Limited with 6,600 miles.

It was showing an active PTS code when I took it in that has given more insight into the fault. It is an Auto Park sensor, code B128E-92. I had been having some other intermittent issues such as it detecting a connected trailer after turning right in a bumpy intersection and detecting a pedestrian obstruction in a heavy rain. Thankfully, it didn't slam on brakes in that instance.

Additionally, my research has also shown that there could be an issue with an air flow sensor that fails. This didn't show up on my scan but it's something to think about if it happens again, which I pray it doesn't!! It's a scary situation to be put in for sure. We bought this truck to tow our 34 ft travel trailer. I don't even want to think about a stall when towing it with our family.

Reaction score
My wife just called me hysterical. Driving below 15mph making a turn in the neighborhood truck abruptly stopped, stalled and engaged parking brake.
It did restart.
15 minutes later she called again crying because it applied the auto brake while reversing and nothing was behind her (not as concerned about this as it’s happened to me too).
but dying while driving ? Help!
Did the dealer find out what happened? Any stored or active codes? Mine provided a PTS sensor code B128E-92 and they are replacing the sensor as it is still actively failing. I had also encountered an issue where the truck thought the travel trailer was behind me when it wasn't. Keep the thread updated if you can so we can hopefully get to the bottom of this issue.

Rammy21

Reaction score
I have the same issue with my ‘21 5.7 etorqe. It has happened twice, both times while making a right hand turn. My breaks didn’t lock up, but the engine dies. Once I get stopped, the e-break engages and the electronics shut off. Once I restart the truck it runs fine. the first time it happened, took it to the dealership and they said it must have been a glitch and couldn’t find anything. A month later, when it happened again, the delarship took another look and still couldn’t find any issues. Luckily this didn’t happen on a road with too much traffic. Now a red lightning bolt and another icon appearing on my dash for the past three days when turning the truck on. They pop up for 2-3 seconds and then disappear. Other issues I’ve had include collision warnings when driving on inclines in parking garages (happens every time I go to work at the same exact spots in the garage), front AND rear park assist abruptly/randomly locking up breaks mainly while backing out of parking spots. this has even happened when I’ve been the only car in a parking lot and not in risk of hitting anything, but also when driving forward out of my driveway. To say the least, I quickly learned to park the truck without park assist. Only 4,000 miles on the truck as of now and bought it new.
50C61312-5C32-452F-8EF6-DA4A86D5A6E9.jpeg

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
One question to everybody who has experienced this miserable scenario: Do you have auto-parking brake enabled?

If so, then the fundamental problem may be the stall. Once this happens, the truck may automatically set the brake. Since I don't have my RAM yet, I can't test to see if this is the programmed behavior, or if you need to actually put the ignition switch into OFF mode before the parking brake will engage.

I personally don't like the auto-parking brake set feature. It seems overly complicated with little benefit, and prone to destructive consequences (such as being rear-ended) if something unexpected (bad sensor, sw error, etc.) happens. But I am a crusty old dude who still thinks that somebody with a driver's license should be able to perform basic tasks without computer assistance, such as setting a parking brake.
Auto park brake just hits the emergency brake when backing up. Doesn’t kill the engine.

Rammy21

Reaction score
I disabled mine because it was giving me so many issues with engaging the breaks while parking. I actually read somewhere today that the sensors are sometimes picking up exhaust emissions and thinking you’re going to hit something, which in turn engages the breaks. On the other hand, my engine killing randomly doesn’t seem to be related, as for this is only while I’m actively driving down the road/not parking.

Dweaver

Reaction score
Hi Dweaver, Thanks for posting the video. It should be hard for the dealer to deny that your truck has a serious issue. Would appreciate it if you would update us with FCA's response. You are doing a huge service to everybody on this forum by publishing your experience.
I wish the videos helped. At the dealer now and they state they can’t use the videos , Chrysler does not allow it. Ha. The craziness continues. 2 videos of stalls and one of a near still , as well as screen shots of all the messages in the dash , and they refuse to even look at it. Convenient.

DubC

Reaction score
I may as well add my story to the list. It's the same as everyone else. Making a right hand turn at 10'ish mph and the truck just died without warning. Threw up all the same warning messages and auto parked and hit the e-brake for me. Luckily for us as well it wasn't on a busy road and no cars were coming. I also just filed with the NHTSA. I'm taking the truck in tomorrow to have a rim repaired and a tire inspected. May as well pile this on the list. The truck also did the slam on brake thing to me when backing out of my garage last week. I wasn't even close to anything. Scared the hell out of me since I was ill prepared for such a warning.

I traded in a ford f-150 that had been in the shop 10s of times hoping RAM was different. I hope this isn't a bad sign already. I've had the truck one month and it doesn't even have 500 miles on it yet. And mine is also a 5.7 etorque. Very frustrating to say the least.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve had this happen 3 times now, twice turning right, once left, along with several near stalls while turning right. All under the same conditions; driving slowly, 15-20mph while coasting gradually to make a turn. As soon as I get back on the gas the truck dies. I pulled codes before cycling the ignition this last time and nothing stood out as being related to the condition. I’m at the dealership now for a pcm update and brake noise and asked them to look into it, but I doubt anything will come from it without them actually seeing it happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The truck also did the slam on brake thing to me when backing out of my garage last week. I wasn't even close to anything. Scared the hell out of me since I was ill prepared for such a warning.

That “feature” can be turned off in the settings menu

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
i turned that off right away. still wish id didnt do it with the door open though.

DubC

Reaction score
taking the truck in next Wednesday to get looked at. thanks, @Dweaver for the vids! sent it to the dealer and they are going to hold on to it. they said the vid was awesome and provided all the details. that's very helpful!!

Dweaver

Reaction score
So my truck stalled again. Back to the dealer and there were actually codes in the computer. Here it is and the work done- paraphrasing not exact verbiage but close. . Code - hybrid engine speed below target during auto start. Work done - Replaced MGU . Replaced alternator according to work order but part number 68438054AD is a “engine generator kit “ when I look it up online. Time will tell if this is a fix

Dweaver

Reaction score
So my truck stalled again. Back to the dealer and there were actually codes in the computer. Here it is and the work done- paraphrasing not exact verbiage but close. . Code - hybrid engine speed below target during auto start. Work done - Replaced MGU . Replaced alternator according to work order but part number 68438054AD is a “engine generator kit “ when I look it up online. Time will tell if this is a fix

Attachments

• E761C8C9-2248-40B6-B26B-0E9B6813157A.jpeg
    E761C8C9-2248-40B6-B26B-0E9B6813157A.jpeg
    167.9 KB · Views: 72

Dweaver

Reaction score

Attachments

• 14EF51C1-6941-4FEC-BE8D-186099D92B56.jpeg
    14EF51C1-6941-4FEC-BE8D-186099D92B56.jpeg
    113.4 KB · Views: 37
Reaction score
I am hoping you found a fix to this issue. I will be following to see if you have any updates.

funtrucker

Reaction score
my 2020 ecodiesel died at a stoplight, today. would not restart. Sounded like fuel issue. cranks but would not start. BTW, be sure when you engage the transmission manual bypass, that the electronic parking brake is disengaged, too. It will not roll, unless your electronic parking is off. Manual doesn't cover that. easy to overlook.
hopefully, will learn more tomorrow.

funtrucker

Reaction score
dealer mechanic said the fuel injector pump was only pumping fuel at 60 psi. Upon starting it is supposed to be at 4500 psi or so. Ordered new pump. will see

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
That is very low for an injector pump. Hopefully that fixes it

jao2buddies

Reaction score
My 2021 1500 Laramie 5.7 Hemi e-torque would not start ( 6-24-21) ,it only has 2,000 miles on it. I was parked in a parking lot. I restarted it about 6 times and on the 7th try it started. I drove home and parked it. The next day (6-25-21) I drove it and came to a stop sign and the truck turned off, it took 3 tries and it started. I kept on getting the message auto start not ready, I drove straight to the dealership spoke with the service manager and told him everything that happened, I did ask him if this is something that they are seeing with these trucks and his answer was no. He stated he would not be able to schedule me for a week, so I told him I guess I don't have a choice but to drive it home. I was leaving the dealership and the truck died on me right in the diveway entrance to the dealership. A salesman came out to help and said it sounded like it was not getting fuel. We could not start the truck so the service manager came out to help and asked 6 mechanics from the back to help push the truck to the service entrance. The parking brake did engage and we could not get it to disengage, so we could push the truck. but one of the mechanics said there is an overide pull down tab (red strap) just below the steering wheel on the left hand side behind a little compartment door. Dash still read auto start not ready. We pushed the truck to the service entrance and the service manager wrote it up and gave me a copy of the service order that they would take a look at it on 7-2-21 this is the next available appiontment, so they will not look at it until this date (7-2-21). I told him I guess I will just have to wait, and thats what Iam doing waiting for an anwser to this problem. This is a very serious problem because if the truck shuts off ramdomly and you are driving someone can get hurt really bad or even killed.

Users who are viewing this thread