5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine stalled / shut off

BrySmi1083

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Laramie 5.7 Hemi with 3k miles and was driving when multiple warning lights and bells (Auto Emergency Braking (AEB) Unavailable Service Required, Trailer Brake Service Required, 4x4 Service Required, Service Electronic Stability Control, Service Engine, ??? Module Failure) go off and the truck stalled. The lights would shut off when the truck shut off, but would happen again after about 15 minutes of driving at varied speeds from 10mph-70+mph. Got it into the dealer and they worked on it for 3.5 weeks. They replaced a gateway module, PDC, found a loose pin in a connector, added a "pigtail"(?) and thought they fixed the issue so I got the truck back. Less than 24 hours later the same things happen, truck stalls and lights come on. Couldn't get the truck started and sounded like a dead battery, but finally started. Had to have the dealer tow the truck in and now back in the shop for the 4th week. Filed a claim with FCA, NHTSA, and the dealer. FCA is helpful but they nor the dealer have a plan or end to the problems.
UPDATE: The dealer is working with Chrysler engineering and is going to try and replace the PCM, "the brain". Part is another week out which will put me at 5+ weeks without a brand new expensive truck. Hope this fixes it and it remains safe for my family!

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve had this happen 3 times now, twice turning right, once left, along with several near stalls while turning right. All under the same conditions; driving slowly, 15-20mph while coasting gradually to make a turn. As soon as I get back on the gas the truck dies. I pulled codes before cycling the ignition this last time and nothing stood out as being related to the condition. I’m at the dealership now for a pcm update and brake noise and asked them to look into it, but I doubt anything will come from it without them actually seeing it happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Anything ever come of this? First time had this happen today rolling through a turn and it seemed like the etorque just shut the engine off and never realized it should've turned back on.

Treyadkins3

Reaction score
The dealer has contacted me and they ordered a BCM. This was the decision after involving RAM engineering. I was not given anymore details beyond this, like any indicators that led them to this conclusion. Its not clear if the new BCM is revised or if the BCM failure is caused by some other fault. To me, this appears as a shot in the dark.

I will post an update once i get it back. I hope the RO has some details, I will also see what I can get out of the Techs that worked on it.
Any luck?

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anything ever come of this? First time had this happen today rolling through a turn and it seemed like the etorque just shut the engine off and never realized it should've turned back on.

They weren’t able to find anything since it wouldn’t do it for them. Since the PCM update it hasn’t stalled on me, but there have been a couple times where it’s stumbled when I slowed almost to a stop then pressed the gas, always first thing in the morning. Could just be the terrible lag in the throttle, but who knows at this point.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They weren’t able to find anything since it wouldn’t do it for them. Since the PCM update it hasn’t stalled on me, but there have been a couple times where it’s stumbled when I slowed almost to a stop then pressed the gas, always first thing in the morning. Could just be the terrible lag in the throttle, but who knows at this point.

Is the PCM update something they did while it was in for service or was it an over the air update? Hopefully it doesn't happen to you anymore.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is the PCM update something they did while it was in for service or was it an over the air update? Hopefully it doesn't happen to you anymore.
It was the update that was flashed at the dealer to correct the light not working on the auto start/stop button.

cartunes25

Reaction score
The dealer has contacted me and they ordered a BCM. This was the decision after involving RAM engineering. I was not given anymore details beyond this, like any indicators that led them to this conclusion. Its not clear if the new BCM is revised or if the BCM failure is caused by some other fault. To me, this appears as a shot in the dark.

I will post an update once i get it back. I hope the RO has some details, I will also see what I can get out of the Techs that worked on it.
The dealer replaced the BCM. It was suspected by the tech that the module failed due to quality issues. It seems to me that, the BCM was over heating. To duplicate the issue, the truck had to just sit an idle for 5 hrs. Then the can buss would crash due to the BCM locking up and not even the dealer scanner can be used since every module is offline. A quick work around to reset was to unplug the most accessible module, this causes a buss reset and all is normal again. To save costs it seems the engineers decided to incorporate the Can gateway into the BCM. That puts all the stress on this module, if it fails then the entire truck is down to where only the interior light works. I can try to post the codes they gave me but its over 100 codes spead on about 50 pages due to every module losing communications.

Its really disappointing, they have no clue why the module failed, this leaves 0 trust in this specific vehicle.

People keep joking saying this is a covid truck. Built during a time where the workforce was reduced and alot of corners were cut, chip shortages resulting in lower quality product sources. All around not good scenarios and on top you add a new technology, E-Torque. It was a very bad time to buy a vehicle and now the consumers are left holding the bag. Now this truck is the most expensive ornament you can get for the driveway.

I am in the process of trying to get a buy back, they had my truck for 40 days. With no RCA, I will not drive the truck for more than a grocery store run. If they refuse a buy back, I will never buy another RAM. I cant even sell this outright, knowing it is a safety risk. I will have to wait out the lease and then I will go to a Ford truck.

Drewster

Reaction score
The dealer replaced the BCM. It was suspected by the tech that the module failed due to quality issues. It seems to me that, the BCM was over heating.
Out of curiosity, where is the BCM located?

BrySmi1083

Reaction score
UPDATE: The dealer is working with Chrysler engineering and is going to try and replace the PCM, "the brain". Part is another week out which will put me at 5+ weeks without a brand new expensive truck. Hope this fixes it and it remains safe for my family!
UPDATE, UPDATE: Dealer replaced the PCM and everything connected and was talking to each other. Got the truck back 24 hours ago and so far so good, but I have PTSD with its reliability. Now every chime sound, flash or light on the dash, funny feeling driving, or twitch makes me paranoid something is wrong. Hopefully this is the fix and there is no more issues for 300k miles!

voodoo93

Reaction score
Just had
I experienced the stalling problem with my 2021 Ram 1500 Laramie crew cab with the Hemi etorque. I currently have 2300 miles.

While traveling at approximately 35 mph I slowed to make a very sharp right hand turn. Truck was moving slowly enough, maybe 5-8 mph through the turn that I did not apply the accelerator, nor did I have any brake pressure applied to complete the turn. Before I could straighten the truck out of the turn, it stalled. Center screen stated to place vehicle in park before starting. I did not recall seeing an error message "no bus" as the previous post asks

As I eased to the side of the road 1-2 mph, the truck automatically applied the parking brake and abruptly stopped. I placed the shifter dial into Park and restarted without any issue. I have had the truck stall before, but I do not recall the exact conditions under which it did. Heading to the dealership on 4/1, I am fairly certain that they will not find or be able to duplicate the problem. I will be sure to post any answers. I did log into the mopar connect feature and it does not detect any codes or issues.

Would this have anything to do with the auto start/stop feature, or possible crankshaft positioning sensor, as mentioned in another article online?
This exact thing just happened to me - 2021 Limited - e-Torque. Driving on 35 MPH road, slowed to make right into gas station and the truck died, same message "place vehicle in park before starting" - I tried to coast out of the way of the driveway and at about 1-2 mph the brake engaged to auto stop. No problems with restart, I will be contacting dealer but sounds like no definitive cause or known solution.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Sounds like the *** system is turning the engine off?

badvik

Reaction score
+1 to the thread with 6k miles on the clock, etorque. There are several STOP signs after I start driving every morning and it was more or less OK until these couple of cool days. Although the engine always tended to stall as rpm dropped very low. And now it started going off completely with auto park brak engaged at 2-3 mph. So I had to turn it on, put it back to drive, and release the auto-park brake manually all that while hearing encouraging sound blasts behind me.

I remember I had similar issues with engine stalling at stops on my 2014 Ram. Back then I bought a Diablo device and started using 91 and it helped. Now I'm not sure what to do because this problem keeps happening whatever octane is in the truck and I'm not planning to add any mods.
p.s. Also to add is that I face a very bad detonation problem - it keeps detonating even at moderate accelerations. So there is definitely something wrong with my tuning. Unfortunately, my local dealer in Staten Island, NY is unprofessional at its most.
p.p.s. RPMs keep dropping whenever auto-start is on or off.

Last edited:

LV426

Reaction score
Just found this thread... I have a 2020 1500, eTorque, 5.7 & have not had a single engine issue to date. On Monday I was leaving work, the truck started normal, pulled out of spot, drove down road and made second turn and for a split second it stalled, then came back. I saw the "place vehicle in park before starting" flash on the screen but the truck was already running again and it went away immediately... How the hell can something like this happen and not throw a code???

Anyway, I attributed it to bad gas (I always use the same gas station & 89) but it was certainly concerning. Decided to see if there were other reports of this and now I guess I can add myself to the list.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I think alot of folks either had a faulty AS/S module or a bad battery. Hope you get it figured out.

Jstro

Reaction score
Been following this thread but haven’t replied to this specific one with my issues. I have a 2021 1500 Limited and have been having this exact issue. My truck stalled on me at around 2000 miles and again at around 6000 miles. The situation has been similar in both instances. I was less than a mile from home and stopped at a red light. When the light turned green, the truck seemed to start using the AS/S system but stalled as I began to accelerate. Once the truck slowed the parking brake was applied. Restarting the truck seemed to fix the issue in both instances. Both times this has occurred in heavy traffic and once with my family in the truck. Took it to the dealer after the first instance and they said no codes were recorded and therefore the truck is perfectly fine. I have lost a lot of confidence in my new truck and it seems RAM does not care about this issue.

LV426

Reaction score
To be more specific, start/stop was not utilized in my case because I had just pulled out and didn't bring the vehicle to a stop yet, stall happened mid turn while slowing down (flat surface) and immediately came back to life, didn't fully stall out but did trigger the "place vehicle in park before starting" which immediately went off. Really caught me off guard, had the "oh ****, what next" feeling for the ride home...

The biggest surprise to me is no engine light or something... I have a cheap Foxwell scanner I'll try to see if it pics up any engine codes but I doubt it based on other reports of the issue.

Last edited:

leasingoutlet

Reaction score
First time I have ever posted to a thread on any site and I wish to thank everyone that provides valuable information regarding our vehicles. I appreciate all the input and would like to add my experience with the 5.7 eTorque stopping at low speed.

I have 2021 1500 Limited 5.7 eTorque built first week in February. Have had engine stop now 3 times as noted in many previous posts regarding low MPH and turning. For me, it happened in the exact location at the same distance from my home. I am a former ASE Master Tech and would like to share my experiences.

Conditions:
  1. running 87 octane
  2. Cold start (in Venice FL so ambient was 82 +/-)
  3. Traveled 1/2 mile at 30 MPH or less
  4. No accelerator nor brake, and slowing into a rolling right turn.

1st experience at 400 miles; engine stopped, I panicked and applied brake. once stopped rolling, automatic park applied and auto parking brake applied. Restarted and released parking brake. no further issues.
2nd experience 4100 miles; engine stopped, while still rolling I turned shifter to neutral and lightly touched brake pedal, engine started, I then shifted into drive and drove to the stop sign about 100' from that rolling turn. Once vehicle stopped, engine stopped, auto park engaged and park brake applied. Restated and no further issues.
3rd experience last Sunday at 5231 miles; engine stopped, i shifted to neutral and restarted, shifted back to drive and continued on to Church which is 15 miles away (no further vehicle stops were required until I arrived at Church). Once I did stop, engine stopped, auto park engaged and park brake applied. restarted and operated normally since.

In each case for me, I noticed the regen mode was active which places a noticeable drag on the engine. For me, during normal operations, the regen when active is very noticeable while slowing to a stop. I believe this drag may drop the idle speed below the set release level that would avoid stalling. Last time I noticed idle speed was slightly below 300 just as engine began to die. Since the first occurrence, I am prepared for this phenomena each time I head into that exit area of my housing development..

Hopefully this information may help those that are searching for the cause.

Thank you all again.

badvik

Reaction score
+1 to the thread with 6k miles on the clock, etorque. There are several STOP signs after I start driving every morning and it was more or less OK until these couple of cool days. Although the engine always tended to stall as rpm dropped very low. And now it started going off completely with auto park brak engaged at 2-3 mph. So I had to turn it on, put it back to drive, and release the auto-park brake manually all that while hearing encouraging sound blasts behind me.

I remember I had similar issues with engine stalling at stops on my 2014 Ram. Back then I bought a Diablo device and started using 91 and it helped. Now I'm not sure what to do because this problem keeps happening whatever octane is in the truck and I'm not planning to add any mods.
p.s. Also to add is that I face a very bad detonation problem - it keeps detonating even at moderate accelerations. So there is definitely something wrong with my tuning. Unfortunately, my local dealer in Staten Island, NY is unprofessional at its most.
p.p.s. RPMs keep dropping whenever auto-start is on or off.
A quick update: after having filled about five full tanks of 91, the problem seems to be almost gone. Less floating RPMs, no more stalling on cold or at low speed. The detonation issue at accelerations has almost gone, too. I like HEMI and an extra $30 a month is not a big deal, yet this is supposed to be a work truck after all.

p.s. With the just-updated interior in Silverado with a larger engines option, the aging RAM will undoubtedly lose its second place soon. The only reason I bought another RAM was that finding a loaded F-150 with V8 was almost impossible and Chevy had that ugly interior.

biszgm

Reaction score
Adding mine to the list...
2021 Long Horn 5.7L HEMI e-Torque with 8800 miles - stalled 3 times at low speeds
I thought the first was a fluke but after the 3rd stall started googling and found this thread. All 3 times have been a really slow speeds, almost coasting at a turn or a light and then realizing that the engine stalled. The 2nd time was in middle of an intersection. I was able to get it through the intersection and put into neutral and restart. The 3rd stall was immediately after at a Red light. The auto park engaged at about 2-3 mph right when the light turned Green and I almost got hit from behind before I could restart and get off the road.
I love the truck but hope this is something they can solve soon since I've had my kids in the truck for two of these stalls and its a matter of time before this causes an accident.
I made an appt at my dealer today, they looked at me with a blank stare like they have never heard of this issue. Also showing no more concern than if I was asking for a tire rotation. I'm sure I'll have to start at the beginning like many of you have documented. Frustrating that there is still no guidance to the dealers on this.
I'll do a NTHSA report and also add RAM cares to my service appt. Hope someone on this thread has some luck with addressing this issue.
Update:
I opened a case with Ram care on this issue since my dealer was really looking in the dark. Ram Care did find a Bulletin relating to this issue and arranged to replace my generator/alternator (GENERATOR KIT. Engine.
Part Number: 68438054AD).
So far so good but this has only happened 3 times in 11,000 miles so I can't say its fixed the issue. The TSB is 08-014-21 if it helps anyone.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread