5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine stalled / shut off

DubC

Reaction score
absolutely!! i cannot believe that this isn't a bigger deal. mine died on a usually non-busy street. but can you imagine coming from a stoplight to an onramp or any other street with massive traffic? i'm actually surprised no one has been severely rear-ended with this. i'm going to send that TSB to my dealership. it's not 100% what happened to mine in regards to low battery light, etc. but it's close. also, my dealer didn't get me in for over a week so any codes that it may have caught, as far as i know, would have been cleared well before then. not sure how long it actually holds those codes.

BlueMoose

Reaction score
Just had this happen on my 2020 1500 with 20K miles. Sitting at a stoplight, truck abruptly died, parking brake engaged, got the "start-stop not available" message on the dash. Managed to restart it, but am a bit shaken.

cartunes25

Reaction score
I just had this happen to me. 2021 1500 Limited W-e-touque. It could be my case is different but symptoms were same, die while driving. I was leaving a gas station and I happen to notice i had no acceleration and looked at the gages. My truck did not apply the parking brake, the POS shifted into park while going approximately 10mph with my 7500lb travel trailer on the back. My family was also with me.

I lost all dashboard electronics and ignition, the running boards would not even come down when opening the door. I applied the e-brake, that worked. Now stuck on since the ignition switch was inop and the cluster dead. SoS and regular assist was all inop due to the radio not being powered on.

To top this all off I am 300 miles from home in the middle of AZ desert on a 6% incline of a TA truck stop. If FCA leaves me hanging you can count me in on the class action law suit!!

NERam11

Reaction score
This happened to me 2 days in a row, just dropped it off at the dealer - 2021 Ram 1500 Limited E-Torque 3k miles. Both days: slow speed, maybe 20 mph driving for first time during the day., slowed down to make a turn- probably 5-7mph, truck stalled (engine died), started to come to a stop and the transmission grinded trying to put itself in park and the e-brake was automatically applied. I hope this gets resolved, the dealer told me absolutely no bulletins and the first time he has heard of it.

Any resolutions? sounds like some folks have tried some repairs.

cartunes25

Reaction score
The dealer my truck is at has found that the data bus is completely down when this issue occurs. Not even their scan tools can communicate to the bus. Unplugging any module in the bus causes a bus reset and then everything is ok again. The techs said the bus is a loop, unplugging any module breaks the loop. So if one module is faulty it takes the entire system down. The dealer is also trying to say the issue is only replicated with a trailer attached. In any case, these modules are all backordered and will take several weeks to get. The dealer suggested to trade the truck in. After only 3 months of ownership I have an electrical fault no one can trace, when the faulty module takes the bus down they cant read codes, FCA wont approve parts orders without the trouble codes.

This really sounds like the techs dont know what they are saying or FCA made an engineering mistake by using a loop architecture. I hope FCA steps in soon to come with a fix or offering a buyback for these garbage E-Torque vehicles.

I am wondering where others live. I was driving around the midwest with a trailer for over 1 week and didnt have an issue till I arrived in AZ. Could it be heat related? I found that the truck radiates alot of heat even driving through cooler areas and, its amplified by the 100+ ambient air temps causing a module to over heat and collapse the databus.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
What a mess! Sorry you are dealing with this.

Bgoff1258

Reaction score
New to this forum but thought I would share the information I found out today. My truck has done this stall thing twice in the last week with between 900-1100 miles on it. After spending 4 hours at the dealership this morning they came to the conclusion that the auto start/stop module or whatever it is called was faulty and causing it to stall out. Huge downside to this is the part is on back order and they will have my truck for roughly three weeks due to them not wanting me to drive it. I did get a loaner though, thank god! Hope this helps everyone out.

NERam11

Reaction score
I just got my truck back from the dealer.
They told me they could not duplicate the problem, but then said they talked to a star tech who provided a PCM update for this issue!! New pcm: 68502733AD.

I am questioning if they tried to play off a PCM update for an actual fix for this issue, so I am going to confirm this tomorrow with my Ram case manager, but thought i would share

enl3x1

Reaction score
2020 ram 1500 5.7 limited 4x4 with 5k miles on it. i Was easing out of the garage, engine shut off and autoparked. turned it on again and made it out of the garage, engine died. turned it back on, cranked up the AC adn went to go unload my bed. a minute later it died. I figured it was autopark so i paid it no mind. About 1.3 miles later at 45mph engine croaked and went into autoneutral, i put on hazards and pulled to the side of the road. managed to get the engine cranked again and pulled a dubious u-ey to go home. engine died about ¼ mile and i pulled into a neighborhood to stop and restart it (i have the push button). at this point i had figured out that if i put it into neutral manually the moment it stalled, waited a few seconds, and then tried to retsrat it while moving it would usually work. made it back to my hood with 1 more stall, and then it stalled twice while at 20 mph, including 100' before my driveway. Check engine light is on.

edit: this is not an etorque. based off what i know of fuel systems, tank level shouldnt matter, theres enough in the lift pump and lines to run it at driving rpm for 15-20+ seconds.

Last edited:

cartunes25

Reaction score
My dealer told me they don't have loaners and it will still be weeks till they get something to fix my truck. I have not bought an American brand vehicle in over 15yrs, now I remember why...

NEVER again. Even if they do manage to fix this truck I am selling it outright to the dealer. FCA and the dealer got their money so they don't care.

enl3x1

Reaction score
Seems to run just fine provided you can turn auto stop/start off and ensure it stays that way. when the AS/S is reactivated it goes right back to phantom stalling.

Prkid669

Reaction score
2nd time it died on me. No warning, nothing, just died. Will not restart, parking break engaged, can not use the override to release it. No fob responce from either fobs. Battery disconnect and reconnected. Can not roll windows up. It's at the dealer, and they have no rentals....not the way I want to start my ownership of this vehicle. Not an e torque. Auto parking break is disabled. Only mods are led conversion on all interior lights, a tailgate light bar (that I will be removing), and borla exhaust. I read that led lights can interfere with the bus system causing the issue. But until I get the system cleared I can not test the light bar theory. No led on the 3rd brake or cargo.
20210710_105709.jpg

Prkid669

Reaction score
Dealer claims to fix the issue with a connection behind glove box.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210710-161256_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210710-161256_Gallery.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 75

cartunes25

Reaction score
I have seen multiple threads on this issue. For each person that said their dealer claimed to fix it, it has been a different resolution each time. From PCM replacement, PCM updates, e torque module repacement, auto start/stop being disabled, wiring connections, to now you can't have LED lighting.

This is not a good sign, it seems they have a serious quality control issue.

NERam11

Reaction score
I just got my truck back from the dealer.
They told me they could not duplicate the problem, but then said they talked to a star tech who provided a PCM update for this issue!! New pcm: 68502733AD.

I am questioning if they tried to play off a PCM update for an actual fix for this issue, so I am going to confirm this tomorrow with my Ram case manager, but thought i would share
Update: as expected this did not fix the issue. My truck stalled again this morning.
For me it has only happened first thing in the morning. Is this the same as everyone else?

NERam11

Reaction score
I have seen multiple threads on this issue. For each person that said their dealer claimed to fix it, it has been a different resolution each time. From PCM replacement, PCM updates, e torque module repacement, auto start/stop being disabled, wiring connections, to now you can't have LED lighting.

This is not a good sign, it seems they have a serious quality control issue.
I posted the pcm update, which did not work.

DubC

Reaction score
when it happened to me it was within minutes of starting the truck from an overnight sit. this morning actually i thought it was going to happen again. the thing with this etorque is i feel like at low speeds it really engine brakes pretty hard. more than what i'm used to. i'm getting used to it but i assume that's from the etorque system. i feel like when it's engine braking it when it has the potential to stall. it feels like the truck is about to become non-responsive but then finally gets it **** together.

also, for what it's worth, the guy i was working with at the dealer said their shop manager, when driving his brand new RAM home several weeks before, also experienced the same stall. and he hasn't heard of any fix yet either. but i've been sending him vids and pics and docs listed here. it does suck but i'm trying to at least do my due diligence.

i also reported this to the NHSA as others have.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hello All,

We understand your sentiments and are sorry to hear about these ongoing concerns regarding vehicle stalls. Our team appreciates you making your concerns known to us. Ram Cares would like to offer our help and support alongside a dealer appointment. If interested, please send our team a private message with your VIN for us to assess. Again, our team is here to help! Don't hesitate to reach out.

Hannah
Ram Cares

Dweaver

Reaction score
Hello All,

We understand your sentiments and are sorry to hear about these ongoing concerns regarding vehicle stalls. Our team appreciates you making your concerns known to us. Ram Cares would like to offer our help and support alongside a dealer appointment. If interested, please send our team a private message with your VIN for us to assess. Again, our team is here to help! Don't hesitate to reach out.

Hannah
Ram Cares
Haaaaaaaaa!!!!! Ram Cares - not !!!!! If you cared you’d help us. I opened a case and you alll closed it and didn’t help at all!!! You know I’m driving an unsafe truck and could care less. Ram cares couldn’t be farther from the truth. Don’t put this obligatory post on here that’s meaningless unless you truly want to help which I’ve seen the opposite of that. Trucks been at dealer around 4 weeks. I had a “fix” and just had a near stall 2 days ago where I almost lost power. This is what it did before so I assume a stall is coming again soon.

Users who are viewing this thread