5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does 2020 Ram 1500 still has AC not cool enough problem?

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hmmm. That beats the service spec. by quite a bit for that outside temperature, especially since the factory spec. is taken at 1000 engine RPM.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 037081 miles.

I’ll take it nonetheless.

turkeybird56

Reaction score
WELL, I did the clamp hack on mine. Got my vent temps to 45-46 degrees moving, tolerable considering TX heat at 102. I do not have it 100% clamped (fully clamped, I got 40-42 from ac vent), letting a lil coolant through. NOW time to order a T valve and do it right, which was what FCA did up to 2018, all IMHO.....

yellowboy

Reaction score
Well new radio installed Saturday - not only is it not any cooler, navigation no longer works and screen goes completely blank while driving. Back I go the day after tomorrow !

turkeybird56

Reaction score
Well new radio installed Saturday - not only is it not any cooler, navigation no longer works and screen goes completely blank while driving. Back I go the day after tomorrow !

Hmmmm, I hope you are not surprised, sorry U have to go play again with this issue.

Calsun

Reaction score
Interesting thread. In the past I owned the Toyota mini trucks and the problem I experienced was that the AC was much too cold even on the lowest setting. I guessed that they chose a AC unit that was used in cars where the cubic volume for the passenger area was much larger. I was happy when I bought a Chevy 2500 diesel as its AC unit quickly cools the truck even when it is 110 degrees outside.

Usually AC units in houses and RV campers are too high a capacity and so they shut off too soon and fail to properly dehumidify the air. If Ram specified an underpowered AC unit then it is not something that can be fixed. If it is adequately sized then the problem is with the clutch or the temp sensor or the control "knob" and there "should" be a service bulletin to address the problem.

I have often had a problem and others have said they had never heard of it when I could find dozens of posts in seconds. The "mine if fine" knee jerk responses are not helpful.

turkeybird56

Reaction score
Interesting thread. In the past I owned the Toyota mini trucks and the problem I experienced was that the AC was much too cold even on the lowest setting. I guessed that they chose a AC unit that was used in cars where the cubic volume for the passenger area was much larger. I was happy when I bought a Chevy 2500 diesel as its AC unit quickly cools the truck even when it is 110 degrees outside.

Usually AC units in houses and RV campers are too high a capacity and so they shut off too soon and fail to properly dehumidify the air. If Ram specified an underpowered AC unit then it is not something that can be fixed. If it is adequately sized then the problem is with the clutch or the temp sensor or the control "knob" and there "should" be a service bulletin to address the problem.

I have often had a problem and others have said they had never heard of it when I could find dozens of posts in seconds. The "mine if fine" knee jerk responses are not helpful.

The problem is, new DT truck, 5th Gen, redesign, they took away the controlled Heater Control Valve and use ducting, and so U still have all dat hot water going to core, so AC fighting Core, what a stupid design.

tmartley

Reaction score
Does 2020 Ram 1500 still has AC not cool enough problem? I know this has been an issue plaguing 2019 models. I did some digging. People are getting 50-60 at the vent as opposed to 37-42 found in Fords. I really like how Ram rides but I simply cannot stomach a poorly performing AC. I wonder if there’s any updates regarding that. Should I wait for the 2021 f150?
I’m glad it’s not a problem for you. I’m still looking for an definitive answer for 2020 year. I wonder if FCA is choosing some crappy AC supplier based off fiat standards. One thing struck me the most about f150 is how quickly it cools and the AC barely have to blow after it’s cooled. I’ve heard on one owner’s review on YouTube that he has to have the AC constantly on in order for him to stay comfortable. I mean, we all have different standards. I for one care a lot about AC and headlights. Which is why I’m going for limited or bust. Now I just need to know if the AC is going to work as well as a Ford. If 2021 ford rides as well as a ram I might just go for ford, but then there’s always the headlights to worry about with Ford. Decisions decisions
I have a 2019 1500 Limited, and the A/C is a problem. Took it to the dealer and they recharged the system, still a problem. Driving around town on warm day I can't get interior cool. On the highway, not much better. I have had previous Ram 1500,s before and if there is a problem, Ram will never, ever admit it. Re; air suspension; mine failed three times, took it to dealer, they recharged system, told me the computer said there was no problem so there was nothing to fix. Nothing to fix? If the gas leaked out 3 times I guess that must have been normal.

yellowboy

Reaction score
If A/C is important to you DO NOT GET A RAM. I had an 2007 F150 I got rid of to get my Ram, that old rusty F150 A/C worked better the day I got rid of it (with never any work done to the A/C ) than my 2019 Ram did the day I got it. BUYER'S REMORSE FOR SURE

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If A/C is important to you DO NOT GET A RAM. I had an 2007 F150 I got rid of to get my Ram, that old rusty F150 A/C worked better the day I got rid of it (with never any work done to the A/C ) than my 2019 Ram did the day I got it. BUYER'S REMORSE FOR SURE

It does suck and @RamCares should fix it.

Till then we do have the AC hack option to fix it.

yellowboy

Reaction score
The main reason I did not get an F150 in 2019 is that their doors were flying open because of a poor door latch design ( since the model was redesigned in 2015 ).. Guess what - they issued a recall this year to fix ALL the door latches. (HINT HINT RAM CARES ! ) But in reality folks - I guess losing a few kids out the back doors is more important than our comfort. :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
If you actually do some reading on here you'll find it isn't a problem that "plagued" 2019's. There are over 300,000 on the road now and there are maybe 40-50 members that have filled the forum with complaints. Mine gets to my programmed temp just as fast as my previous Rams and Fords. Most people don't need OR want 40° air blowing on them. All they care about is does the system get to the programmed temperature in a reasonable time and maintain it. My all black in and out Ram with the panoramic roof does that. I've had plenty of different passengers and I have someone in the back seat most of the time and no one belly aches about the a/c. If you want to ride around in meatlocker conditions, maybe this truck won't meet your expectations.
It irks me when this "problem" keeps getting presented that it's a "common" complaint when looking at the hundreds of thousands out in the field don't have an issue with the a/c.
Well if affected my 2019 RAM 1500 Laramie. A/C sucks!

GeoffreyXE

Reaction score
If you actually do some reading on here you'll find it isn't a problem that "plagued" 2019's. There are over 300,000 on the road now and there are maybe 40-50 members that have filled the forum with complaints. Mine gets to my programmed temp just as fast as my previous Rams and Fords. Most people don't need OR want 40° air blowing on them. All they care about is does the system get to the programmed temperature in a reasonable time and maintain it. My all black in and out Ram with the panoramic roof does that. I've had plenty of different passengers and I have someone in the back seat most of the time and no one belly aches about the a/c. If you want to ride around in meatlocker conditions, maybe this truck won't meet your expectations.
It irks me when this "problem" keeps getting presented that it's a "common" complaint when looking at the hundreds of thousands out in the field don't have an issue with the a/c.

If you saw how the Ram dealers are treating people that are having ac/defrost issues you might feel differently. Not only did my defrost never turn off in my all new problems Ram 1500. But my ac was a joke. Always on high and never cooling me off. Granted I work in the florida sun but had zero issues with my 15 and 17 Ram 1500s. Oh well, replace my 19 with a classic. Problem Fixed!!!

GeoffreyXE

Reaction score
I just took my 2019 in and the warranty covered a full fix... working perfect now. Don’t know why more people wouldn’t just get it taken care of
What work was completed? Just wondering? I took care of it and no longer own the P.O.S!

GeoffreyXE

Reaction score
I just took my 2019 in and the warranty covered a full fix... working perfect now. Don’t know why more people wouldn’t just get it taken care of
Did your service tech use a vise grip on your trucks heater hose? Just wondering

turkeybird56

Reaction score
IT would indeed be interesting to know what SummitNinja had done to his truck at the dealership to "deal" WITH THE PROBLEM. Maybe he could post a copy of the repair invoice.?????

yellowboy

Reaction score
As I said in another topic I am on my second radio/control head with no improvement. I am having a few other minor issues as well but now thay want to put a third in.

raven7

Reaction score
My A/C just shuts off for no reason. Dealer says its normal. working fine then pull up to stop sign and it shuts off. anytime i am under load say pulling something it shuts off. Terrible electronics. Had a 2019 Jeep grand Cherokee had been in the shop 20 times in a yr. had to file a lawsuit to get anywhere with FCA finally sold it with 7k on it after 18 months. No more FCA vehicles for me.

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2019 Bighorn. No issues with a/c, cooled just fine even during our couple of 100 degree days this summer in N VA. I just leave it on Auto LO for a couple minutes then I set the temp to 68 and it does great.

Another thing I do every so often is turn the A/C button on (it’s the one on the left) instead of Auto ... that directs 100% of the air out of the vents. Then I switch it back to Auto after a couple minutes on 68. Again, it cools fine. Maybe I got lucky... ?

Users who are viewing this thread