5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does 2020 Ram 1500 still has AC not cool enough problem?

turkeybird56

Reaction score
It may have been a design flaw as you say, but the published specification was and always has been 45 degrees F. at 70 degrees ambient.

That spec is in the service manual.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 052719 miles.
BOIRD's only comment is, glad I got TSB done, helps a lot more, but I doubt we ever see snow fly out vents like the old R12 GM systems, boy were those great AC systems, IMHO.....

turkeybird56

Reaction score
Their "spec" wasn't 45 degrees - it was much higher. If it was 45 degrees, this whole thing would be a non-issue.

And the nature and extent of the TSB shows it was a real, serious problem. You don't do that expensive and invasive of a job for only a few problem trucks, much less turnaround and incorporate the redesign into new builds. And the redesign was implemented on all their new builds - that's a clue. It was a design flaw across the entire line.

They biffed on that AC design. Plain and simple.
BOIRD's only comment is, glad I got TSB done, helps a lot more, but I doubt we ever see snow fly out vents like the old R12 GM systems, boy were those great AC systems, IMHO.....

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Their "spec" wasn't 45 degrees - it was much higher. If it was 45 degrees, this whole thing would be a non-issue.

And the nature and extent of the TSB shows it was a real, serious problem. You don't do that expensive and invasive of a job for only a few problem trucks, much less turnaround and incorporate the redesign into new builds. And the redesign was implemented on all their new builds - that's a clue. It was a design flaw across the entire line.

They biffed on that AC design. Plain and simple.
Wholeheartedly agree.

GregHBNA

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
21's are proof the redesign (or TSB) was implemented in new builds. Mine was a May build.

turkeybird56

Reaction score
Boy w
Wholeheartedly agree.
Boy would 45 be great here. With TSB I have seen 46 once out of center stack right vent. The most they go down to is 48 at highway speed when driving at 60 mph. But that a heck of a lot better than the 57 I had. And only the center stack right gets that cool, the others are like 49, BUT I'll still take that over the 50's, LOL.

1awesomelaw

Reaction score
Does 2020 Ram 1500 still has AC not cool enough problem? I know this has been an issue plaguing 2019 models. I did some digging. People are getting 50-60 at the vent as opposed to 37-42 found in Fords. I really like how Ram rides but I simply cannot stomach a poorly performing AC. I wonder if there’s any updates regarding that. Should I wait for the 2021 f150?
if you have to ask about Ford trucks on a ram forum, you are not a true Ram Fan, go back to the ford... Bye

Derek Dredger

Reaction score
Does 2020 Ram 1500 still has AC not cool enough problem? I know this has been an issue plaguing 2019 models. I did some digging. People are getting 50-60 at the vent as opposed to 37-42 found in Fords. I really like how Ram rides but I simply cannot stomach a poorly performing AC. I wonder if there’s any updates regarding that. Should I wait for the 2021 f150?
I had my 19 REBEL out in the desert a few weeks back and it hit 127.4oF. I was also driving alot in 1st and 2nd gear at almost max rpms. No issues at all. Wasn't freezing cold in the cabin of course but perfectly comfortable.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Boy w

Boy would 45 be great here. With TSB I have seen 46 once out of center stack right vent. The most they go down to is 48 at highway speed when driving at 60 mph. But that a heck of a lot better than the 57 I had. And only the center stack right gets that cool, the others are like 49, BUT I'll still take that over the 50's, LOL.
Yep. TSB is def worth doing.

PostPremium

Reaction score
if you have to ask about Ford trucks on a ram forum, you are not a true Ram Fan, go back to the ford... Bye
Disagree. I'm a fan of Ram because they currently build the best truck on the market. We should welcome competition and comparisons against other truck manufacturers because it will push Ram to stay on top and keep everyone informed of available alternatives. But don't be fooled, if Ford or Chevy suddenly put out a better truck, I'd have no problem switching. I'm a fan of a good product...

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Disagree. I'm a fan of Ram because they currently build the best truck on the market. We should welcome competition and comparisons against other truck manufacturers because it will push Ram to stay on top and keep everyone informed of available alternatives. But don't be fooled, if Ford or Chevy suddenly put out a better truck, I'd have no problem switching. I'm a fan of a good product...
Ditto.

Wsmith

Reaction score
I own a Ram, but my employer buys Ford's. I have probably driven six or seven different 150's and 250's, they ride rough but the AC gets cold fast, I mean cold enough to be uncomfortably even on a 90 plus day. My Ram will get cool after a while, no way I could ever get a chill in it. I love the Ram, except for the AC, or lack there of.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The AC in my 2021 Limited is working great in the current triple-digit heat wave we're seeing here, even without tinted windows. It's working better in fact than my Audi which has 25% tint all around except the windshield. I'm glad I'm not driving my old 2020 Laramie right now LOL.

turkeybird56

Reaction score
The AC in my 2021 Limited is working great in the current triple-digit heat wave we're seeing here, even without tinted windows. It's working better in fact than my Audi which has 25% tint all around except the windshield. I'm glad I'm not driving my old 2020 Laramie right now LOL.
YEAH, RAM "found" out that the Gen 5's with the "redesign" had issues and corrected the problem in the late 2020's and so on, unfortunately for an unknown number of us, we got a great truck just got the short end of the stick ref AC.

turkeybird56

Reaction score
WELL, took truck back to Dealer today and spent over 3 hours there. AC TSB done, and considering, not bad. However, there is a glitch (might just be my truck). But when U remote start, the AC will not turn on as it did before (hence the reason for remote start)(No AC/Blower action on remote start, regardless where U leave it set when U turn off truck). Mechanic spent 3 hours, cannot fix, has no clue. SO Now, the is a STAR CASE being put in on my truck. Mechanic said 1st one it happened to? Hmmmmmmm?????? My 6th sense spidey hairs went up on that comment, we shall see.

CAVEAT: The SA who released truck said Star case, but my SA said not work that way. Not wanna say ne thing bad, read between the lines, me thinks something not correct, hmmmm.

Last edited:

Chris3058

Reaction score
Well. Thought mine was weak. Did the test today. All temps taken with a thermopen pro. Certified to 1F. Ambient was 81F. Ram for 10 minutes on full AC. Center vent/ read 55/54. Something must be wrong. I’m betting low charge but who knows as I don’t have access to the magic AC machine. Off to the dealer.

Attachments

• 3428F94B-D795-4E73-8A23-C81E2E09A63D.jpeg
    3428F94B-D795-4E73-8A23-C81E2E09A63D.jpeg
    85.2 KB · Views: 16
  • F99A1BAB-0A87-4AD9-9523-F2640042217D.jpeg
    F99A1BAB-0A87-4AD9-9523-F2640042217D.jpeg
    160.1 KB · Views: 16

yellowboy

Reaction score
Well. Thought mine was weak. Did the test today. All temps taken with a thermopen pro. Certified to 1F. Ambient was 81F. Ram for 10 minutes on full AC. Center vent/ read 55/54. Something must be wrong. I’m betting low charge but who knows as I don’t have access to the magic AC machine. Off to the dealer.
That's all I got out of mine on a hot day from the day I got it. These trucks are a joke . Finally did the homemade hack on it, nice and cold now.

Chris3058

Reaction score
Anyone wanna Guess what the service advisor just me…..

Yep. Operating within spec. And no TSB???

Booked an appointment regardless.

And according to him a thermapen pro isn’t accurate to read vent temps. Bwahahahaaaaaa. The battle begins.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Anyone wanna Guess what the service advisor just me…..

Yep. Operating within spec. And no TSB???

Booked an appointment regardless.

And according to him a thermapen pro isn’t accurate to read vent temps. Bwahahahaaaaaa. The battle begins.
Sounds like you are in for a joy ride :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/