5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does 2020 Ram 1500 still has AC not cool enough problem?

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I live in central Florida. Roughly the same temps as the surface of the sun.
my 2020 Big Horn is a little slower to cool the truck down than previous vehicles I have owned, but it gets very cold, And ultimately find myself decreasing the fan speed because it has caught up. It most cases under five minutes. It is certainly not the best I have had, but it would not make a list of things I didnt like about the truck either.
My feeling as well. Vent temperatures really don't mean anything much to me since the only thing important is if I feel cooled down in a reasonable amount of time.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Interesting that there are so many opinions of "cold" on this forum. I've had my '20 Ram for less than two weeks and can say, of the 4 vehicles my wife and I own, the Ram has the weakest of the A/C units. '02 Pathfinder blows in the 30s, 12 Challenger blows 40, wife's black on black 17 Explorer blows 40. I drove around in the Ram today with a thermometer, coldest it ever got was 50, usually hovered around 55. I do not have a sunroof or auto climate control. Its not irritating enough for me take it back to the stealership just yet, but it is somewhat disappointing. My son has an all black '19 Ram, and has never had an issue with the a/c. I don't think it is an inherent problem with all of the new gen Rams, but obviously some of these trucks have an issue somewhere.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My son has an all black '19 Ram, and has never had an issue with the a/c. I don't think it is an inherent problem with all of the new gen Rams, but obviously some of these trucks have an issue somewhere.

Does he have a new Ram or the classic? If classic then it has the older AC system that was much better.

Paultg

Reaction score
Just a comment on folks regarding vent air temps. The equation for cooling is:

CFM x 1.08 x air temp diff (inside cabin - air vent temp) = BTUs of cooling

airflow & airflow temp is directly related to capacity / output.

For the same cooling requirement, you can use more air that is warmer, or less air that is colder, and have the same results. Typically in commercial HVAC systems the air temp is 55F (for 75F space temp). The 55F also dehumidifies.
For a vehicle I assume they size things a bit different to try to cool a hot space down quicker, since the system is on/off more often.

We don’t have the info on truck cabin airflow, but if the fan in the truck moves more air than say your other vehicle, then it might not be “wrong” that the vent air is warmer in the truck.

We also don’t know if the engineers calc’d the cooling requirements correctly to determine the truck airflow and airflow temp requirements. So who really knows.

PostPremium

Reaction score

For the same cooling requirement, you can use more air that is warmer, or less air that is colder, and have the same results. Typically in commercial HVAC systems the air temp is 55F (for 75F space temp). The 55F also dehumidifies.
For a vehicle I assume they size things a bit different to try to cool a hot space down quicker, since the system is on/off more often.

We don’t have the info on truck cabin airflow, but if the fan in the truck moves more air than say your other vehicle, then it might not be “wrong” that the vent air is warmer in the truck.

We also don’t know if the engineers calc’d the cooling requirements correctly to determine the truck airflow and airflow temp requirements. So who really knows.
Yes, but what we do know is that most other auto makers have vent temps at least ten degrees colder than Ram's. And I don't sweat like a ***** in church in those other vehicles like I do in a 5th gen Ram. RamCares has acknowledged the issue and stated that a fix is in the works. We shall see.

KcRay

Reaction score

With all due respect, all the equations,and formulas, and hypothesis, mean nothing in the real world. We know the automotive AC is capable of blowing mid 30 degree temperatures, and the hack proves that our Rams are at least capable of blowing 40 degrees all day long. Its really very simple, when you take away the 210 degree coolant from entering the heater core, the system cools to its capacity.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With all due respect, all the equations,and formulas, and hypothesis, mean nothing in the real world. We know the automotive AC is capable of blowing mid 30 degree temperatures, and the hack proves that our Rams are at least capable of blowing 40 degrees all day long. Its really very simple, when you take away the 210 degree coolant from entering the heater core, the system cools to its capacity.
What I would be curious about is the engineering that brings hot coolant into the equation - is there a reason for it? Is it a requirement for split-side temperature control? It seems to me that if the passenger can have 80 degree temps and the driver can have 60 degree temps there has to be some mechanism to bring heated air to the forefront; perhaps that is the reason. I also wonder what side effects there are/may be by doing the "hack". I don't think anyone on here, at least that I remember, has definitively traced down the entire coolant flow route that is reduced/eliminated by the valve or clamp as it may be. Do those lines go only to the heater core, and are there any other sensors or feeds that come off of it? Does the truck depend on some of that coolant routed through the core to keep temperatures lower overall in the coolant, or use the heater core to reduce AC freezing, etc?

eyeguy

Reaction score
My 2020 laramie built 10/19 blows good cold air.

river rat

Reaction score
I've had my 2020 Ram for about 5 months and the a/c works better than my 2015 and 2008.

KcRay

Reaction score
What I would be curious about is the engineering that brings hot coolant into the equation - is there a reason for it? Is it a requirement for split-side temperature control? It seems to me that if the passenger can have 80 degree temps and the driver can have 60 degree temps there has to be some mechanism to bring heated air to the forefront; perhaps that is the reason. I also wonder what side effects there are/may be by doing the "hack". I don't think anyone on here, at least that I remember, has definitively traced down the entire coolant flow route that is reduced/eliminated by the valve or clamp as it may be. Do those lines go only to the heater core, and are there any other sensors or feeds that come off of it? Does the truck depend on some of that coolant routed through the core to keep temperatures lower overall in the coolant, or use the heater core to reduce AC freezing, etc?
Two reasons to bring hot coolant to the heater core. 1; for the heater, 2; to mix in a bit of heat to give you AC temperature control. The problem here is we are getting heat from the heater core, even though we are telling the system to not give us any! The water pump does not care where or or if it pumps any coolant to any place other than the engine. The new Rams do run some coolant to the transmission to heat it up, but we are not interrupting that. We are only stopping coolant going the the heater core, with no adverse effects.

Paultg

Reaction score
You also don't want to freeze up your evap coil (where the condensate drains from). But that is usually a result of not enough airflow.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score

We know that some people in this thread are dissatisfied with the effectiveness of the air conditioning system. We know that others are pleased with it. Some are convinced the Ram system is operating insufficiently based on the contention that the Ram is universally “ten degrees” warmer than other truck manufacturers at center vent by design. We know what the Ram spec. is since it’s been published here. Despite the claim, we still have not been advised what the specs are for other makers.

I watched the TFL video, which I suspect was to prove that all rams are 10 degrees warmer at the vent. Interestingly, even though there was a 10-degree difference at the vent, the interior measuring point temperature of the Ram ended within 1.7 degrees the F-150 in the same allotted time.

Since some Ram owners are satisfied with the AC system, and others are not, some continue to assume that individuals who are pleased are just biologically more easily satisfied by warmer temperatures. Of course, from a human perspective, that works both ways. Either way, it is not a verification of vent temperature or the overall performance of the system.

What is being ignored in large part is the possibility that there is an inconsistency in delivery performance as the vehicle leaves the factory. We know there is one contributor in this thread that complained to the dealer about AC performance and it was resolved. I actually tested mine and found it beat the factory spec. by one degree at 44 degrees. If there were always a 10-degree difference from “other trucks” as a result of a design issue, there shouldn’t be any Ram that meets the Ram factory spec at all!

With respect to the TFL video, I think these guys generally do a fair comparison test. But I would submit that ordinary cooking thermometers may lack the accuracy and consistency in read-out from unit-to-unit for true comparison (I used a borrowed digital thermometer when I took my readings). However, that aside, there was never a baseline verified for either truck against the factory spec. which is a testing norm (even though both trucks were “new,” the Ram’s motor looked like it had seen quite a few miles). Just because both trucks are “new” does not mean they were delivered meeting factory specifications. We always see examples of this.

2019 Ram (DT) AC Performance Specifications:

1. A/C PERFORMANCE TEMPERATURE AND PRESSURE
    Ambient Air Temperature (Apparent)
    21°C
    (70°F)​
    27°C
    (80°F)​
    32°C
    (90°F)​
    38°C
    (100°F)​
    43°C
    (110°F)​
    Air Temperature at Center Panel Outlet
    7°C
    (45°F)​
    7°C
    (45°F)​
    13°C
    (55°F)​
    13°C
    (55°F)​
    18°C
    (64°F)​
    Compressor Inlet Pressure at Service Port (low Side)
    138 to 207 kPa
    (20 to 30 psi)​
    172 to 241 kPa
    (25 to 35 psi)​
    207 to 276 kPa
    (30 to 40 psi)​
    241 to 310 kPa
    (35 to 45 psi)​
    276 to 345 kPa
    (40 to 50 psi)​
    Compressor Discharge Pressure at Service Port (High Side)
    1034 to 1724 kPa
    (150 to 250 psi)​
    1379 to 2068 kPa
    (200 to 300 psi)​
    1724 to 2413 kPa
    (250 to 350 psi)​
    1999 to 2689 kPa
    (290 to 390 psi)​
    2413 to 2965 kPa
    (350 to 430 psi)​
Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 035449 miles.

Paultg

Reaction score
What's the TLF video? Not sure I have seen it.
I was only trying to explain/suggest that a problem could be airflow and not air temp, and that comparing only air temp between vehicles isn't really proving anything. Airflow and Temp are both related, without knowing the design specs for an AC system we will never know if the system has an issue.
But to your point, there is no factory recall, and there are plenty of folks who say their systems are working. So who really knows....
I hope to pick my truck up in August, run the AC, and keep my fingers crossed that I feel the need to turn it down from being too cold rather quickly.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does 2020 Ram 1500 still has AC not cool enough problem? I know this has been an issue plaguing 2019 models. I did some digging. People are getting 50-60 at the vent as opposed to 37-42 found in Fords. I really like how Ram rides but I simply cannot stomach a poorly performing AC. I wonder if there’s any updates regarding that. Should I wait for the 2021 f150?
The irony is that I had nothing but AC problems with my F-150, my Rams AC works much better. I wouldn't say it gets "ice cold" but cold enough to deal with the heat here in Vegas for sure! The standard refrigerant in vehicles nowadays is definitely not as effective as the refrigerant from 10/15 years ago... something that I was reading on the other day.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Two reasons to bring hot coolant to the heater core. 1; for the heater, 2; to mix in a bit of heat to give you AC temperature control. The problem here is we are getting heat from the heater core, even though we are telling the system to not give us any! The water pump does not care where or or if it pumps any coolant to any place other than the engine. The new Rams do run some coolant to the transmission to heat it up, but we are not interrupting that. We are only stopping coolant going the the heater core, with no adverse effects.
I didn't mean why is there coolant in the heater core - I built my own car from boxes once, so I know a little something about mechanics :p - what I am curious about is the engineering that says "Let's have coolant through the heater core all the time". There are vehicles that have actuator valves that close off the flow through the core when you don't want it (or when you are purposely trying to raise the temperature, like when you first start a vehicle). Is the split side climate control part of the reason for coolant all the time? It seems to me that if you have constant flow through the heater core, you better have really good seals and a very precise blend door to keep ancillary heat away from the evaporator. I would just about bet money that differences in temperature drop at vents can be traced to blend door positioning. There's no other logical reason for the same truck, under similar conditions, to have significant differences in temperature drop.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was only trying to explain/suggest that a problem could be airflow and not air temp, and that comparing only air temp between vehicles isn't really proving anything. Airflow and Temp are both related, without knowing the design specs for an AC system we will never know if the system has an issue.
But to your point, there is no factory recall, and there are plenty of folks who say their systems are working. So who really knows....
I hope to pick my truck up in August, run the AC, and keep my fingers crossed that I feel the need to turn it down from being too cold rather quickly.
I think you definitely have something there. I don't have a velocity meter but the air speed out of my vents on high is definitely stronger than it was in my Titan; I can't even hear a phone call on Bluetooth unless I turn the fan speed down. If I had hair it would be blowing all over the place on high - you should see my chest hair waving in the breeze :p

KcRay

Reaction score
I didn't mean why is there coolant in the heater core - I built my own car from boxes once, so I know a little something about mechanics :p - what I am curious about is the engineering that says "Let's have coolant through the heater core all the time". There are vehicles that have actuator valves that close off the flow through the core when you don't want it (or when you are purposely trying to raise the temperature, like when you first start a vehicle). Is the split side climate control part of the reason for coolant all the time? It seems to me that if you have constant flow through the heater core, you better have really good seals and a very precise blend door to keep ancillary heat away from the evaporator. I would just about bet money that differences in temperature drop at vents can be traced to blend door positioning. There's no other logical reason for the same truck, under similar conditions, to have significant differences in temperature drop.
Yeah it must be the blend doors, tainting my AC. The good old days of a cable controlled heater control valve.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Truck Fast Lane (TFL) video compared a 2019 F-150 to a 2019 Ram 1500 for AC performance (https://www.tfltruck.com/2019/06/do...han-the-ram-1500-real-answers-s-1-ep-2-video/). In the video the measurement indicated a 9.8 F difference in vent outlet temperature, and a 1.7 F difference in internal cabin temperature, both to the advantage of the F-150.

My observations are in the previous message, but I should add one more: I watched the video three times and nowhere was the ambient (outdoor) temperature stated. It sure would've been nice information to have in order to determine if the Ram was meeting it's own factory specification.

Your comment about airflow was timely. Reduce the outlet airflow and the vent temperature will drop, which means it is an important aspect in doing any comparison. In researching this subject it appears that in the Chevy truck and F-150 sites the techs. are stating outlet temps between 40 and 47 F for "proper operation." Ram lists one specific outlet temp to meet for ambient. I can't determine if the "other trucks" have a range specification for outlet or not since I do not currently have recent service documentation for GM or Ford. Some older GM manuals list a temp range spec.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 035449 miles.

PostPremium

Reaction score
I haven't seen any vent temp pictures from those saying their AC is fine. I've seen lots of vent temp pics from those saying their AC is not fine. It would help if the former would post pics.

Users who are viewing this thread