5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does 2020 Ram 1500 still has AC not cool enough problem?

blackamarss

Reaction score
i never experienced the issue on my 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie , i felt the AC is really cold..

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i never experienced the issue on my 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie , i felt the AC is really cold..

If you felt the AC is cold enough for you then that is good, same here for me, could it be more colder? Yes, but that is the way RAM designed.

sfdgolf

Reaction score
I have a 2020 and would say the A/C is underwhelming. It cools, but on auto never reaches temp and blows at a lower level, always on full blast.

My father in law has a 2020 and says his is worse than mine. He took it to the dealer today and they told him it was a computer issue that needed an update. Well see over the next few days if he feels it is any better.

I'll keep you posted.

yellowboy

Reaction score
There are ALLOT of people not happy with their AC on this and two other forums with 19's and 20's. Problem is I can't see on any of the three forums if anyone's dealer actually agreed and FIXED it. All this chatter about moonroofs, black interior, and large interior is BS, you build and equip to acommdate for those factors. When I put my thermostat on my 07 F150 on 65 my teeth would be chattering, I put my 19 on 64 I'm still warm. I am taking it in soon to the dealer and won't settle for "it's working to specs....."

dmodem

Reaction score
There are ALLOT of people not happy with their AC on this and two other forums with 19's and 20's. Problem is I can't see on any of the three forums if anyone's dealer actually agreed and FIXED it. All this chatter about moonroofs, black interior, and large interior is BS, you build and equip to acommdate for those factors. When I put my thermostat on my 07 F150 on 65 my teeth would be chattering, I put my 19 on 64 I'm still warm. I am taking it in soon to the dealer and won't settle for "it's working to specs....."
My '19 was blowing 64 - 68 degrees on the coldest setting during last summer's 95 degree weather. Ram opened a case and then raised it to a STAR case with the dealer. Both the dealer and RAM verified there was a problem, and the temp. sensor, a/c compressor, and refrigerant were replaced with no major difference. Summer temps. ended soon afterwards, and my case was closed until I am able to replicate the issue. Although we haven't had blazing temps yet, the a/c just is adequate for the truck. On auto setting, it'll never reach the set temp. and always blows on high fan speed.

Reaction score
I was very concerned about this when I bought my 2020. I am a big guy and I get hot. I am very pleased with the AC and have to bump the temp up cause I am cold. This was in the mid 90's with super high humidity. I have no complaints and was pleasantly surprised.

U

User_3336

Well, its a fact that all 300,000 of those owners ARE NOT on this forum. So you really can't make a comparison for the 40-50 members that are having issues. A large percentage of folks visit a forum when they DO have problems to seek solutions and advice of others....

So, for it to be a "problem" in your eyes, you'd need to have the other 299,950 other owners of a RAM pickup on the site and state whether they had a "problem" or not"....

If you actually do some reading on here you'll find it isn't a problem that "plagued" 2019's. There are over 300,000 on the road now and there are maybe 40-50 members that have filled the forum with complaints.
It irks me when this "problem" keeps getting presented that it's a "common" complaint when looking at the hundreds of thousands out in the field don't have an issue with the a/c.

grooves12

Reaction score
I think EVERYONE in this thread is correct.... and their AC are probably all functioning exactly the same, they just have different expectations.

I have a 2019 and am disappointed in the AC performance. I came from 2003 GMC Sierra and the AC on that truck was colder, quieter, and flow a heavier volume of air. It meant I could keep the blower on 1 or 2 and remain at a comfortable temperature without a lot of noise.

The RAM still gets to comfortable temperatures, it just needs a LOT more airflow to do so. This means a noisier cabin and longer cool-down times to get to that temperature, but once it's there it has no problem maintaining the same comfortable temps.

If I were grading them:
2003 GMC Sierra: A+
2019 RAM 1500: C+ (Still a passing grade, just not as good as I would like for a $40,000 truck that is 16 years newer than my old one.)

dmodem

Reaction score
Well, its a fact that all 300,000 of those owners ARE NOT on this forum. So you really can't make a comparison for the 40-50 members that are having issues. A large percentage of folks visit a forum when they DO have problems to seek solutions and advice of others....

So, for it to be a "problem" in your eyes, you'd need to have the other 299,950 other owners of a RAM pickup on the site and state whether they had a "problem" or not"....
Google 2019 Ram a/c problems and you'll see it far expands the 40-50 on this site. It's definitely not an uncommon complaint.

aimlowrobin

Reaction score
it isn't about a specific model year, and anyone saying theirs is fine so there isn't an issue is also wrong. I had a 2019 that had a great a/c. I now have a 2020 and the a/c sucks.

I haven't taken to dealer yet for service, but will. Ain't no way I am gonna put a hack on my $65k truck, especially when I had one that was perfectly fine before this one.

aimlowrobin

Reaction score
I think EVERYONE in this thread is correct.... and their AC are probably all functioning exactly the same, they just have different expectations.

Wrong. I know from personal experience that not every a/c is working rhe same. My 2019 was great, my 2020 sucks.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, I feel like there's definitely a mechanical malfunction somewhere in a percentage of people trucks. We're at roughly 40-50% of people who are unhappy with their trucks AC performance. You shouldn't have to do a "hack" to get it cold enough on a brand new vehicle.

I feel like the only true way to verify if your AC is working properly or not is to measured the air coming from your vent. It's too subjective to just say it's fine for me. Let's face it. We're all different shapes and sizes. We all live in different climates. I live in Georgia but have been to Missouri for work. When I'm working with my peers in Missouri during the summer they nearly freeze me to death because my body is acclimated to the environment I inhabited frequently.

Fortunately I have no complaints about my AC but it's unfair to assume that others are making much to do about nothing just because mine works fine.

SummitNinja

Reaction score
Does 2020 Ram 1500 still has AC not cool enough problem? I know this has been an issue plaguing 2019 models. I did some digging. People are getting 50-60 at the vent as opposed to 37-42 found in Fords. I really like how Ram rides but I simply cannot stomach a poorly performing AC. I wonder if there’s any updates regarding that. Should I wait for the 2021 f150?
I just took my 2019 in and the warranty covered a full fix... working perfect now. Don’t know why more people wouldn’t just get it taken care of

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
I just took my 2019 in and the warranty covered a full fix... working perfect now. Don’t know why more people wouldn’t just get it taken care of

Welcome to the forum.

May I suggest taking a few minutes to "search" this topic and become familiar with the trials and tribulations some forum members have gone through to "just get it taken care of". I'm glad you were successful in getting your a/c fixed, but many other's haven't been as fortunate.

Maybe you could provide some value-added information on what the dealer did to fix your particular issue.

myles

Reaction score
Does 2020 Ram 1500 still has AC not cool enough problem? I know this has been an issue plaguing 2019 models. I did some digging. People are getting 50-60 at the vent as opposed to 37-42 found in Fords. I really like how Ram rides but I simply cannot stomach a poorly performing AC. I wonder if there’s any updates regarding that. Should I wait for the 2021 f150?
2020 ram here, I live in Southern California and it does good. Even on the 100 plus days it stays cool inside the truck. I also don’t have a sun roof, seems like those make the truck hotter

Bearman95

Reaction score
I am very hot natured and I have never had a problem with my 2020 Laramie sport not being cold enough for me! If it’s been sitting out in the sun I just let the window down about half way for a few minutes to let all the hot air out while driving down the road. Most any of the manufacturers will tell you to do this in order for the vehicle to cooL quicker. I bought the vehicle last September and it was in the high 90s in North Texas at that time and it was cold air Coming out of the vents and it still is cold air Coming out of the vents with the temperature again in the high 90s. I have no idea what the vent temperature is and don’t really care other than I know that it’s cold.

SummitNinja

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

May I suggest taking a few minutes to "search" this topic and become familiar with the trials and tribulations some forum members have gone through to "just get it taken care of". I'm glad you were successful in getting your a/c fixed, but many other's haven't been as fortunate.

Maybe you could provide some value-added information on what the dealer did to fix your particular issue.

You are absolutely right, my sincerest apologies! I pulled out the service invoice from my Dodge dealer and this is what it says:
Check for TSB's, found TSB 24-011-19 for a/c leak
Condenser plug leaking
Recovered refrigerant, replace condenser plug and desiccant bag

Hopefully now that there is a TSB out on it, more people will be able to get the service they need.

**in addition** my vehicle had no issues with air movement or flow, but it was not getting cold, at all, even on full blast AC for hours on a road trip - no improvement. Now it works perfectly and I can feel cool air coming even on the lowest fan setting.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2019 limited AC I would describe as adequate.
My 2020 EcoDiesel is noticeably colder. Hot as hell and humid today and it's quite chilly. Have to turn it up after a few minutes (I leave it in auto all the time)

jimk hunt

Reaction score
You are absolutely right, my sincerest apologies! I pulled out the service invoice from my Dodge dealer and this is what it says:
Check for TSB's, found TSB 24-011-19 for a/c leak
Condenser plug leaking
Recovered refrigerant, replace condenser plug and desiccant bag

Hopefully now that there is a TSB out on it, more people will be able to get the service they need.

**in addition** my vehicle had no issues with air movement or flow, but it was not getting cold, at all, even on full blast AC for hours on a road trip - no improvement. Now it works perfectly and I can feel cool air coming even on the lowest fan setting.
Your sig is blank, when was your truck made?

Users who are viewing this thread