5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does 2020 Ram 1500 still has AC not cool enough problem?

Hogzfan

Reaction score
2020 Eco, my ac isnt that good. Seems to be all over the place temp wise, have not had it long enough to find a pattern. But I do know today, 85 degrees, high humidity, idling in the shade, 62 vent temps when sys was on auto. 58 when set to max fan, and 43 at 60% fan speed. Good final temp but not enough volume to cool the truck.

Attachments

• Polish_20200702_201651574.jpg
    Polish_20200702_201651574.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 55

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have people tell me quite often that my AC is "too cold." I longed ago posted the result of me personally testing the outlet temperature in the AC mode using the DT service manual procedure, and the result was it beat the spec by one degree, and I have an early build.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 035108 miles.

PostPremium

Reaction score
I have people tell me quite often that my AC is "too cold." I longed ago posted the result of me personally testing the outlet temperature in the AC mode using the DT service manual procedure, and the result was it beat the spec by one degree, and I have an early build.

Best regards,
Dusty

It's generally accepted that their "spec" is about 10 degrees warmer than other truck makers. Not adequate for me.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
While I’m somewhat satisfied with my truck’s AC, it does take longer to cool than my son’s base model Tacoma. That little truck’s AC starts to blow artic cold air the second you start the engine, which is what I want living in Houston high heat and high humidity.

My truck in contrast, takes it’s sweet time, and eventually does get cool enough, but it’s sub-par compared to any other vehicle I’ve owned.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's generally accepted that their "spec" is about 10 degrees warmer than other truck makers. Not adequate for me.
What is the spec. for the other truck makers?

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 035239 miles.

brewdad

Reaction score
2019 Laramie built July 2018 and bought a month later has always been cold here in the Southeast--as cold as any vehicle I have owned.

PostPremium

Reaction score
Hopping on here and saying your AC is cold or adequate without posting vent temps is an exercise in futility. It's subjective and means nothing to the next person. Attached is my vent temp. Current vehicle on the left vs. Ram on the right. As you can see, at least a ten degree difference. Not good enough for me, but then again, I pee standing up. :cool:

Attachments

• temp.jpg
    temp.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 92

STR

Reaction score
I have a black (heat magnet) 2020 Rebel crew. It was 98 degrees today (sunny and humid) w/sun shade opened... I set the controls to auto/72 for driver and passenger. It was comfortable for 4 adults on a 2 hour trip. No complaints...

U

User_3336

and what vehicle is the "current vehicle on the left"?

Hopping on here and saying your AC is cold or adequate without posting vent temps is an exercise in futility. It's subjective and means nothing to the next person. Attached is my vent temp. Current vehicle on the left vs. Ram on the right. As you can see, at least a ten degree difference. Not good enough for me, but then again, I pee standing up. :cool:

U

User_3336

Been nice to have taken a close pic of the temp rather than the whole touchscreen(the radio) and knobs! :-(

2020 Eco, my ac isnt that good. Seems to be all over the place temp wise, have not had it long enough to find a pattern. But I do know today, 85 degrees, high humidity, idling in the shade, 62 vent temps when sys was on auto. 58 when set to max fan, and 43 at 60% fan speed. Good final temp but not enough volume to cool the truck.

Hogzfan

Reaction score
It was made in May 20.
Been nice to have taken a close pic of the temp rather than the whole touchscreen(the radio) and knobs! :-(
Yeah, agree not the best. But was trying to show the HVAC settings and the outside temp.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That looks like 40 and 48. So an 8 degree difference. What's the other vehicle?

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s so funny that the AC threads somewhat went away during the winter months and now that it’s warm again there is no less than 6 threads active again in the forum discussing the AC issues in these trucks.

Last edited:
U

User_3336

Well, why would you be complaining about A/C performance in the winter?

Also, people rarely use the search function or scroll thru the current threads to see if a topic already exist, so there ends up being multiple threads about the same topic. Happens in any forum.

It’s so funny that the AC threads somewhat went away during the winter months and now that it’s warm again there is no less than 4 threads active again in the first two pages of this forum discussing the AC issues in these trucks.

PostPremium

Reaction score
I have a black (heat magnet) 2020 Rebel crew. It was 98 degrees today (sunny and humid) w/sun shade opened... I set the controls to auto/72 for driver and passenger. It was comfortable for 4 adults on a 2 hour trip. No complaints...
Vent temps?

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Look a little closer. Increments of 4. One just below 40 degrees and the other right around 50.
Yeah, I saw it was increments of 4. Looks like one is right on 40 and one is right on 48. Anyway, it's splitting hairs. What's the other vehicle?

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, why would you be complaining about A/C performance in the winter?

Also, people rarely use the search function or scroll thru the current threads to see if a topic already exist, so there ends up being multiple threads about the same topic. Happens in any forum.

I was implying that it’s pretty evident that the AC design flaw in these 5th gen Rams is alive and well.

Clayinfla

Reaction score
I live in central Florida. Roughly the same temps as the surface of the sun.
my 2020 Big Horn is a little slower to cool the truck down than previous vehicles I have owned, but it gets very cold, And ultimately find myself decreasing the fan speed because it has caught up. It most cases under five minutes. It is certainly not the best I have had, but it would not make a list of things I didnt like about the truck either.

Users who are viewing this thread