5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CHMSL / Third Brake Light LEDs

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't have mine yet but I looked it up in the manual and the 7440/W21W are replaceable. They don't say LED and serviced by dealership only.

I'm 99.9% sure the light looks like a LED coming out of the reverse lights. I'll have to check tonight when I get home.

dswoboda2120

Reaction score
So....LOVE the truck and yada yada but....why on earth are those bulbs not LED? It looks very odd at night (probably not to most, just me as a OCD/light snob). Was just wondering there was any reason other than saving a buck for FCA. Not a huge deal to most and an easy fix, just seemed odd.

My guess is they did that so it isn't so bright for the driver behind you. I think they may have left some interior llights that way as well because it is a softer light.

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My guess is they did that so it isn't so bright for the driver behind you. I think they may have left some interior llights that way as well because it is a softer light.

Makes sense, but they actually didn't leave a single other light Halogen, at least in the higher trims. I'll have to look at what GM and Ford have done about the cargo lights when it comes to the DOT tho

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Makes sense, but they actually didn't leave a single other light Halogen, at least in the higher trims. I'll have to look at what GM and Ford have done about the cargo lights when it comes to the DOT tho

Lariat and up F150s (with the LED headlights) get a LED CHMSL and cargo lamps. As do the tails/reverse lights.

LOKIDOG121

Reaction score
The owners manual for my 2019 Bighorn (without LEDs) says the reverse light is a 921. I ordered the LED equivalent and the bulbs do not fit the socket (they just fall out). So.... what bulb do I need?

Bram2019

Reaction score
There is a possibility you have a 7440 bulb. There is a possbile misprint in the owners manual. The Chrysler parts manual seems to imply the backup bulb is a 7440/W21W in a standard lighting truck. Is the original bulbs base about twice a wide as the 921 you bought? If so I suspect you need a 7440. The original bulb should be marked. Make sure you actually bought a 921.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I really like those 3rd brake lights that flash 3 times and then go solid. I think I'm going to try out a red LED that's supposed to do that.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They get my attention, so I would imagine I'm not alone. I was used to tapping my brakes before slowing rapidly to warn drivers behind me. These modern vehicles seem to think a quick tap is a 'panic braking' moment and over apply the brakes.

MN5241

Reaction score
Anyone know where to get replacement screws? I dropped one and it landed right on top the fuel tank...no where in sight.

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maybe this was addressed and I missed it, but do all trims come with incandescent 3rd brake, interior and chsml lights (what does that stands for BTW?)?

Curious if my larimie sport will be one way or the other. Having the tail and 3rd lights tinted so I could see them being a bit dull.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All trims come with reg bulbs for 3rd brake and cargo lights. Laramie and up lvls are all leds on interior.

eduardolalo11

Reaction score
I bought these light bulbs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D1FVK93/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Qi1rCbQ226CF6 and I don’t know if they are the reason why I have an extra/6th warning chime after my truck start up, I don’t know if it was there since brand new I only have 1000 miles on it? Anyone experiencing this please let me know your thoughts by the way it is not the seatbelt I’ve tried on and off and still does it please help!

MN5241

Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread