5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CHMSL / Third Brake Light LEDs

eduardolalo11

Reaction score
Is it the seat belt chime?
No. I have tried it with and without the seatbelt and it still has the chime at the end of the start up cycle. There is not a warning light, however there is a warning chime and I don't know where its from. do any of you guys know where it could be from?

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score

ryco25

Reaction score
Sorry to resurrect this thread but I need some help here with a weird problem caused by swapping the bulbs.

I bought one of the sets of bulbs suggested in this forum and installed them tonight and they were great. Reassembled the assembly and screwed it back in and now the light will not shut off automatically. I hit unlock, light comes on, then stays on until I go inside and hit the physical button vs shutting off either with time or by hitting the lock button on the fob.

I thought maybe it was the bulbs causing it, so I put all of the stock bulbs back in and the problem is still persisting. Tried turning the truck on/off, cycling lights, etc...no luck. Any thoughts?

Parts installed initially:
Cargo light bulbs - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GGK6QDW/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Third brake light bulb - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CK1NQQ8/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ryco25

Reaction score
Sorry to resurrect this thread but I need some help here with a weird problem caused by swapping the bulbs.

I bought one of the sets of bulbs suggested in this forum and installed them tonight and they were great. Reassembled the assembly and screwed it back in and now the light will not shut off automatically. I hit unlock, light comes on, then stays on until I go inside and hit the physical button vs shutting off either with time or by hitting the lock button on the fob.

I thought maybe it was the bulbs causing it, so I put all of the stock bulbs back in and the problem is still persisting. Tried turning the truck on/off, cycling lights, etc...no luck. Any thoughts?

Parts installed initially:
Cargo light bulbs - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GGK6QDW/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Third brake light bulb - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CK1NQQ8/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

...so I would like to update this for anyone who is as incompetent as I and anyone else who would like a laugh.

The answer to this was when I installed my lights and they turned on/off as normal, I was in my truck bed with the tailgate closed. When I was testing them after installation, the tailgate was open...which keeps the lights on. I did not put that together until the day after.

Reinstalled the new bulbs and all is well. The more you know :rolleyes:

RAMRhode

Reaction score
...so I would like to update this for anyone who is as incompetent as I and anyone else who would like a laugh.

The answer to this was when I installed my lights and they turned on/off as normal, I was in my truck bed with the tailgate closed. When I was testing them after installation, the tailgate was open...which keeps the lights on. I did not put that together until the day after.

Reinstalled the new bulbs and all is well. The more you know :rolleyes:
Funny! Had several I-D-10-T errors myself! :ROFLMAO:

djwdjw

Reaction score
I bought these light bulbs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D1FVK93/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Qi1rCbQ226CF6 and I don’t know if they are the reason why I have an extra/6th warning chime after my truck start up, I don’t know if it was there since brand new I only have 1000 miles on it? Anyone experiencing this please let me know your thoughts by the way it is not the seatbelt I’ve tried on and off and still does it please help!

FWIW, I bought these bulbs in October and one has already failed.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did...and part number is in a my post above. I like it a lot.

Last edited:

sgtsodo

Reaction score
Do these lights over the bed illuminate when in Reverse? Only lights I get are tail lights. 3rd brake light does work when brake is pressed, and cargo lights illuminate when tailgate is open or doors are open, just not in reverse. Is that normal behavior?

Frankly, I don’t recall how it worked before I changed the lights out.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's normal. Reverse lights are used when in reverse. You should be able to turn on the cargo lights using the switch in the truck.

sgtsodo

Reaction score
Thank you, it would make sense to me for the overhead cargo light to turn on in reverse!

ocxgeno

Reaction score
Did mine tonight with the $9 4 pack from Amazon. Happy with them so far. Wish the color matched the License plate lights a little better but a drastic improvement over stock halogens.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
6dfcbcc30fbe613aa406722a3616e4b0.jpg

Last edited:

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^ completely night and day from stock bulbs. For sure the best bang for buck mod I’ve done.

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anybody find a solution to replacing the stock led reverse lights with brighter bulbs? I unscrewed one tail light and the unit seems to only have 1 fixture...

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just installed Diode Dynamics LEDs in third brake and cargo lights, replacing the crappy ones from Amazon. Glad to be flicker free back there again. Already had one burn out completely and one cargo LED was flickering like a disco light.

I went with the HP5 brake light and went with the HP36 cargo lamps. I was concerned they wouldn't be nearly as bright as the Amazon "1000 lumen" LEDs since they are rated at 210 lumens, but once installed these appear to be exactly as bright. I didn't spend double for the XP50 which they rate as twice as bright - 410 lumens. I'm totally pleased with the HP36 LEDs and the light output..

For reference, the Amazon LEDs were these (do not buy as they last about 6 months and then flicker and burn out):

Here's the brake light from DD: https://www.diodedynamics.com/3rd-brake-light-led-for-2011-2019-ram-1500-2500-3500.html

Users who are viewing this thread