5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CHMSL / Third Brake Light LEDs

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Amazon sells a broad range of products. It likely depends on which bulbs you bought through Amazon.

The ones I bought are working just fine.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
For those of you that are going to replace your third brake light and cargo bulbs, buy ALL WHITE BULBS. You should not install a RED bulb in a red lens housing.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I used the red one from Diode Dynamics because that's what they recommended for this truck. I played around with it and while it is a red LED, once installed it appears just as bright and the same color as the "1000 lumen" Amazon cheap white LED. I'm not going to make a science project out of it since it looks virtually identical and should not burn out in 3-6 months. DD also gives a 3 year warranty so I'm done.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here's another discussion regarding the color of LED for the application: https://www.superbrightleds.com/carbulb_notes.php#ColorChoice
LED-Bulb-Color-Tooltip.jpg

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just ordered the red led third brake light and cargo lights from Diode Dynamics, looking forward to getting rid of the only three hologen bulbs that came with the truck.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just ordered the red led third brake light and cargo lights from Diode Dynamics, looking forward to getting rid of the only three hologen bulbs that came with the truck.

You'll be happy with the DD LEDs!

Atretes1

Reaction score
JDM ASTAR Extremely Bright 2000 Lumens 360-Degree Shine 921 912 90-EX Chipsets LED Bulbs For Backup Reverse Lights, Xenon White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GGK6QDW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_taa_Z5sJBbNN75AYP

LASFIT 912 921 T15 906 2835 W16W LED Light Bulb SMD 3030 Chipsets 1400 Lumens Extremely Bright for Car Center High Mount Stop Brake Lights, Brillant Red(Pack of 2) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CK1NQQ8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_taa_o7sJBbBE8J4ZJ
Does your JDM ASTAR bulb fit tightly? Mine is kind of loose and looks like there is a possibility it could slip out eventually? The 3rd brake light fits snug.

BlckDT

Reaction score
Went with the Diode Dynamics setup. Can't wait to get them and see the difference!

Capture.JPG

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got my Diode Dynamics bulbs in the mail today, put them in in about 5 minutes. Very happy with the result with a nice white light that is the perfect brightness. Before and after below of the bed lights, only got after of the brake light but it seems to be an improvement.

Attachments

• Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 117
  • After.jpg
    After.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 124
  • Brake.jpg
    Brake.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got my Diode Dynamics bulbs in the mail today, put them in in about 5 minutes. Very happy with the result with a nice white light that is the perfect brightness. Before and after below of the bed lights, only got after of the brake light but it seems to be an improvement.

Yep, happy with the DD's and I'm hanging onto the 3 yr warranty after the 6 months I got out of the Amazon cheap LEDs.

BlckDT

Reaction score
WOW! Very happy to read this thread and pulled the trigger on the DD’s. Self explanatory image below. Left is stock - Right is DD’s installed

21A1A3FB-4E73-4D2E-903D-8E11A3F0CE1C.png

RBRK

Reaction score
Unfortunately those Auxito are junk too. I bought them after the second set of cheap o Amazon bulbs went out. I’ve spent over 30 bucks in junk bulbs so far. I have the DD in now. Hopefully they will last.

BlckDT

Reaction score
Unfortunately those Auxito are junk too. I bought them after the second set of cheap o Amazon bulbs went out. I’ve spent over 30 bucks in junk bulbs so far. I have the DD in now. Hopefully they will last.

At least the DD's have a 3-year warranty!

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hopefully getting close to the build/delivery of my '19. From what I gather, the third brake light bulbs are the only exterior bulbs not LEDs and they are all 921s....what are the best 921 LEDs to change them out to?

I used these....

DarkKn1ght

Reaction score
I used these....

I also used the Lasfit bulbs. I used them in my brake lights and backup lights as well. The design is great for visibility but the backup lights aren't designed to throw light. I had the Diode Dynamics XP80 bulbs in the reverse lights on my old Charger and it was like backing up during the day with those.

Tiger79

Reaction score
Question on the Dynamic Diode Cargo Light Bulb replacement:
Which Cargo Light LEDs did you go with? The HP36 (210 Lumens) or XP50 (410 Lumens)?
XP50 are double the price for double the lumens, but is the HP36 plenty?

Users who are viewing this thread