5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CHMSL / Third Brake Light LEDs

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hopefully getting close to the build/delivery of my '19. From what I gather, the third brake light bulbs are the only exterior bulbs not LEDs and they are all 921s....what are the best 921 LEDs to change them out to?

Limited

Reaction score
If the 2019’s are still CANBUS then you would want to get CANBUS compatible LED bulbs or you will get a bulb out warning every time you start the truck. I will be changing mine to LED as well once it comes in but I need to find out if it is CANBUS or not before I order some bulbs.

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So....LOVE the truck and yada yada but....why on earth are those bulbs not LED? It looks very odd at night (probably not to most, just me as a OCD/light snob). Was just wondering there was any reason other than saving a buck for FCA. Not a huge deal to most and an easy fix, just seemed odd.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On another forum I found LEDs for it. The cargo bulbs were plug and play. The brake light he used LED bulbs with a CANBUS adapter.

I wasn't willing to use the adapter as there's no way to get it into the housing with the factory light socket.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the link! I will read through that tonight.

I found these bulbs and was thinking about giving them a try. They are 921 CANBUS and you can get 3 different shades of white and red.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...-led-tower-miniature-wedge-retrofit-car/1129/

The ones you found at SuperBrightLEDs are only 170 lumens...not sure that is bright enough. The halogen bulb puts out 264 lumens. I did a search on Amazon and found a few different options.

https://www.amazon.com/Backup-Rever...78MR9XJF/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_sims?ie=UTF8

The ones I posted above seem perfect, but I just found that I still have these ones below, in the garage from my 2014 F150 (I had used them as back up bulbs). I'll put them in as my third brake light bulb when I get my truck back from the tint guy tomorrow.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K3GBRQ2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The ones you found at SuperBrightLEDs are only 170 lumens...not sure that is bright enough. The halogen bulb puts out 264 lumens. I did a search on Amazon and found a few different options.

https://www.amazon.com/Backup-Rever...78MR9XJF/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_sims?ie=UTF8

The ones I posted above seem perfect, but I just found that I still have these ones below, in the garage from my 2014 F150 (I had used them as back up bulbs). I'll put them in as my third brake light bulb when I get my truck back from the tint guy tomorrow.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K3GBRQ2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Did you get your truck tint completed? What windows did you have done? Also, did you try the bulb?

I'm living vicarously through you until they decide to make my truck :)

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you get your truck tint completed? What windows did you have done? Also, did you try the bulb?

I'm living vicarously through you until they decide to make my truck :)

Tint is done - just the front two to match the rears. PPF is on and looks great - it's the 3rd truck I've had him put PPF on so I knew what to expect!

Plan is to try the bulb later today and get pics of the truck now that it's "done" - except for the BedRug.

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'll shamelessly add myself to this convo because im a few beers in and feel like we're all friends at this point (if you guys dont like me, just please, dont say anything until after fathers day hehe)

I have steel crew cab and went with ceramic 20% of the front only. I have a kid in the back and he is rear facing and seems to be catching a lot of light so I may increase the tint in the back of the truck. anyways, front set up for 20%, matches great lookin it, looking out they stock ones make things seem a little more purple.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll shamelessly add myself to this convo because im a few beers in and feel like we're all friends at this point (if you guys dont like me, just please, dont say anything until after fathers day hehe)

I have steel crew cab and went with ceramic 20% of the front only. I have a kid in the back and he is rear facing and seems to be catching a lot of light so I may increase the tint in the back of the truck. anyways, front set up for 20%, matches great lookin it, looking out they stock ones make things seem a little more purple.

Yep - 20% is what I went with on the fronts. I didn't opt for ceramic as none of the other windows have it.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Tint is done - just the front two to match the rears. PPF is on and looks great - it's the 3rd truck I've had him put PPF on so I knew what to expect!

Plan is to try the bulb later today and get pics of the truck now that it's "done" - except for the BedRug.

What manufacturer of PPF? I have an XPel dealer here I think I'm going to try.

Are you doing a tonneau? I'm getting a quote now on a Bakflip MX4 (Rambox version) since there are rebates out

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Nice. How much did they charge you for the ceramic fronts if you dont mind me asking?

I'm curious about the sunroof also. I've heard a lot of people saying that the new pano roof lets a lot of heat in...I'm wondering if a ceramic on that would help (I'm not sure if its coated already to some extent)

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
He went from Suntek to XPEL to Llumar. I had Suntek on my 2014 F150 and was pleased, Llumar on my 2016 and no issues with it.

I paid $600 to get it on the leading 18" of the hood, fenders, flares, painted part between headlight and bumper. Door sills, door handle cups, door edge guards and the 2 front windows tinted. B pillar patterns aren't out yet.

I had the same Truxedo Truxport on my 14 and 16 F150s...bought a new one for the Ram. Soft, roll up cover - put a few dabs of caulk in the corners and it'll be watertight. Can't beat it for less than $275.

The pano roof lets in some heat - the pano on the F150 is slightly bigger (goes further back over the rear seats). I'm in Indiana and it gets hot here, but not Texas hot. I rarely close the shade and have no issues with the heat.

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
my front two were 130 I think. I am honestly struggling with the heat situation in my car, the 9 month is sweaty every time I take him out of his carseat, after running the truck for 15 minutes prior to getting into it. In a perfect world, I'd go to my 7:45 appointment this Monday and they would just recharge the AC and it'd be done with. And then other users going through the same thing could do that too. I came form an all white grand Cherokee with pano roof that had zero issues cooling off. I can just appreciate how having this massive cab that is practically black, may not be able to keep up enough for what im hoping it does, and that may be the way of life for me during this hot days.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
my front two were 130 I think. I am honestly struggling with the heat situation in my car, the 9 month is sweaty every time I take him out of his carseat, after running the truck for 15 minutes prior to getting into it. In a perfect world, I'd go to my 7:45 appointment this Monday and they would just recharge the AC and it'd be done with. And then other users going through the same thing could do that too. I came form an all white grand Cherokee with pano roof that had zero issues cooling off. I can just appreciate how having this massive cab that is practically black, may not be able to keep up enough for what im hoping it does, and that may be the way of life for me during this hot days.

You'll have to let us know what they say. I was in my wife's Fusion yesterday and it was freezing me out.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Where abouts are you located, if you dont mind me asking? I'm in Western NY , so like firecadet613 I only see a few 90 degree days per year

Users who are viewing this thread