5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can y'all help me figure out my payload?

Cudapower

Reaction score
Be aware that campers are BS numbers also, dry weight not full or loaded. Camper MFG dont give a hoot about your tow vehicle. They but the battery and the full propane tanks right up on the front hitch. Plus most camper storage is all across the front of the camper. Then you add a 120 lb weight dist. hitch and maybe a spare tire in your box. The tongue weight gets unreal. You can really make a difference with that if you can move some of that to the rear of the camper, but be careful of all of that when you go camper shopping.

Redfour5

Reaction score
He doesnt have the pano sunroof either, which is like a 150+lb hit on payload. Honestly 1300 vs 1200 pounds I wouldn't even worry about it. I'm sure a bunch of people will disagree with that opinion, but the vast majority of truck owners have no idea what their payload is, and are over that number all the time.
Pano sunroof 150 lb hit. OWWWW I have the ramboxes and they are about a 50 lb hit.

Redfour5

Reaction score
In case it helps, here's mine. Fully loaded Limited 4x2 with 6'4" bed. You can see the full specs in my sig. View attachment 103950
It might as well be 20,000 on max tow... That payload is your limitation...and you must have every bell and whistle there is if you have a 4X2 with that payload. AND so, if you decide to tow, you likely are in the range of a 25 foot travel trailer without a slide and ONE group 24 battery and ONE 20 lb propane tank and the lightest weight distribution hitch you can find... one petite wife and no big dogs and zip in the bed while towing.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In case it helps, here's mine. Fully loaded Limited 4x2 with 6'4" bed. You can see the full specs in my sig. View attachment 103950
Ugh, that's so low. And mine is 4x4 so that reduces it more right? Anyone know by about how much?

What I DON'T have here is the Level 1, the BUG, the Tech Group, The MFT, the writing prep package (regret skipping this actually) and the trailer mirrors. So I'm thinking that gets me back a decent chunk (though again, maybe canceled out by mine being 4x4).

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Be aware that campers are BS numbers also, dry weight not full or loaded. Camper MFG dont give a hoot about your tow vehicle. They but the battery and the full propane tanks right up on the front hitch. Plus most camper storage is all across the front of the camper. Then you add a 120 lb weight dist. hitch and maybe a spare tire in your box. The tongue weight gets unreal. You can really make a difference with that if you can move some of that to the rear of the camper, but be careful of all of that when you go camper shopping.
Wait, so I knew I needed to account for the battery and propane tank with the hitch weight (so a "dry" hitch weight of say 420lbs on a trailer will actually be like 540lbs after adding those two things), but then you ALSO add the WDH's own weight? So if that weighs 120lbs, then my actual total hitch weight is 660lbs?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not a good idea to move weight to the back of a trailer.

You would be better to have the tongue weight take you over payload than to have extra weight at the rear.

When the tail starts wagging the dog...you will fully understand the need for the HeftyDuty

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not a good idea to move weight to the back of a trailer.

You would be better to have the tongue weight take you over payload than to have extra weight at the rear.

When the tail starts wagging the dog...you will fully understand the need for the HeftyDuty
I was looking at trailers that have a dry hitch weight range between 400 and 600lbs.

Guess I'm sticking to 400 lol.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wait, so I knew I needed to account for the battery and propane tank with the hitch weight (so a "dry" hitch weight of say 420lbs on a trailer will actually be like 540lbs after adding those two things), but then you ALSO add the WDH's own weight? So if that weighs 120lbs, then my actual total hitch weight is 660lbs?

WDH doesn’t count as tongue weight per say, but it does count against your payload capacity

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Sherline tongue weight scale is a handy tool to have

View attachment 103957
Thanks for all the info man, really appreciate it! I will look into that scale.

Good news about the 4x4. I can get that back just by removing the tonneau cover.

With the WDH, seems something like this would work well (with keeping my total/loaded tongue weight under 600lbs). And the hitch itself is less than 100lbs.

Last edited:

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With the WDH, seems something like this would work well (with keeping my tongue weight under 600lbs). And the hitch itself is less than 100lbs.

I wouldn’t focus on the physical weight of a WDH trying to keep the payload hit down.

I’d rather be over payload with a high quality 4-point sway control unit than under payload with a mediocre light-weight unit.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks Ivory.

Just realized, that guy that posted his build with the 1129 payload doesn't even have the sunroof. Based on that, I'll be lucky if I'm over 1K. Sadness.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got an Andersen WDH with my camper and I think it's generally liked in the towing community. But even though I don't know its weight, having picked it up, there's no way (weigh) that it's 120#, like some of the other setups mentioned.

WDH Reviews

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got an Andersen WDH with my camper and I think it's generally liked in the towing community. But even though I don't know its weight, having picked it up, there's no way (weigh) that it's 120#, like some of the other setups mentioned.

WDH Reviews

Yes, Anderson is lightweight but that’s because it’s purpose is more sway control not weight distribution.

Users who are viewing this thread