5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can y'all help me figure out my payload?

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's great info. I can't believe the OP didn't use your link to solve his problem. Here's mine...not bad for a fairly well equipped Laramie.

View attachment 103640
Wow! Does the 3.92 gears add that much more to Max Towing? My Max is at 8229.47lbs ... comparing to your sig, we pretty much have the same truck except the rear gears and fuel tank.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you were really close on Payload, you could always move your spare tire / jack / etc to the trailer. Should free up another 75+ lbs of payload.
So simple yet so genius. The spares on trucks are always on the undercarriage right? Where's the jack though?

I actually wouldn't be totally opposed to leaving the spare off in general, I pay for roadside assist through my insurance anyway (and only ever had to use it twice in 20 years of driving).

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So simple yet so genius. The spares on trucks are always on the undercarriage right? Where's the jack though?

I actually wouldn't be totally opposed to leaving the spare off in general, I pay for roadside assist through my insurance anyway (and only ever had to use it twice in 20 years of driving).
Yes, under the bed, accessed through the rear bumper.

Jack, etc should be under the front passenger seat.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, under the bed, accessed through the rear bumper.

Jack, etc should be under the front passenger seat.
Cool, thanks man!

I personally did know this already, learned while researching my purchase BUT, can you (or someone) be awesome and educate me/us as so why is helps so much? I know about it providing more torque at lower gears but still don't fully understand how that translates into that crazy increase.

Last edited:

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maybe the ability to get the max load moving from a stop and slow down that same load down (multiple times)? I believe that is part of the 'new' testing standards. With the 3.92's you get a much 'lower' first gear making that an easier task for the truck to complete.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maybe the ability to get the max load moving from a stop and slow down that same load down (multiple times)? I believe that is part of the 'new' testing standards. With the 3.92's you get a much 'lower' first gear making that an easier task for the truck to complete.
So like, structurally/frame-wise, the truck can already handle it, and engine power wise also, but the torque/ traction needed to get it going and stop it properly isn't there without those gear ratios...

In other words, if you magically dropped a truck with the 3.21's and a 10K lbs trailer onto the road already moving it would tow it fine, but when it came time for it to stop, the trailer would end up in your backseat.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Cool, thanks man!

I personally did know this already, learned while researching my purchase BUT, can you (or someone) be awesome and educate me/us as so why is helps so much? I know about it providing more torque at lower gears but still don't fully understand how that translates into that crazy increase.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I totally knew what was there. I was just...making conversation...yeah...

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So like, structurally/frame-wise, the truck can already handle it, and engine power wise also, but the torque/ traction needed to get it going and stop it properly isn't there without those gear ratios...

In other words, if you magically dropped a truck with the 3.21's and a 10K lbs trailer onto the road already moving it would tow it fine, but when it came time for it to stop, the trailer would end up in your backseat.
No, you'd be fine. Same frame, brakes, etc.

I believe it's more of a back-to-back-to-back-etc start stops in the test cycle without overheating (engine/brakes/trans/etc) that the 3.92's makes easier on the powertrain.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well I'm glad you started this thread. Because I thought my max towing was around 11k, but it's actually only around 8k lbs.
You would probably never get anywhere near 11k anyway, even if you had it, due to payload constraints. You'll be lucky if you can get up to that 8k you do have. Towing cap is a magical number of nothingness that means nothing until you get into the really heavy duty trucks. Hard lesson.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You would probably never get anywhere near 11k anyway, even if you had it, due to payload constraints. You'll be lucky if you can get up to that 8k you do have. Towing cap is a magical number of nothingness that means nothing until you get into the really heavy duty trucks. Hard lesson.
Well, I suppose you could tow 11k if you used the Trailer Toad. So it's theoretically possible...

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, I suppose you could tow 11k if you used the Trailer Toad. So it's theoretically possible....
Or an airplane out of the hanger?

I have no idea what airplanes of any size weigh, but you wouldn't have any tongue weight.

Actually, I believe Top Gear America did a test of half ton trucks pulling an airplane around.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Or an airplane out of the hanger?

I have no idea what airplanes of any size weigh, but you wouldn't have any tongue weight.

Actually, I believe Top Gear America did a test of half ton trucks pulling an airplane around.
True, or like another much bigger vehicle.

BCDC

Reaction score
If you were really close on Payload, you could always move your spare tire / jack / etc to the trailer. Should free up another 75+ lbs of payload.

Hmmm, really good to know, as I'm part of the 'Whoa, the 1500 Isn't Quite the Tow-vehicle I Thought It was Club'. Odd I'm even having to consider this.

I've been thinking of ways to increase the payload, and this one is a decent thought. Also, I've got a 2021 Longhorn with 1,418 lbs(door jam sticker) payload. How about removing the factory running boards? They are the chromed out, always there version(not automatic deploy). Does anyone know how much these weigh? I've looked semi-extensively, but no luck yet.

Currently have a travel trailer(17 foot box) with a tongue weight of 497 lbs empty, that weighs ~3,500 lbs empty. 4,997 lbs max loaded. It's a single axle, and we towed it maybe 8-10k miles with my 3.6L Durango Citadel. We have three younger kids and a 50 lb dog, and being in the west with all the mountains it was taxed at times. We were looking to get to a larger trailer in the 23-26ft box length, so nothing immense, but also throw our bikes/boats, and cooler in the back of the truck bed. Man...seems like that isn't really possible, well it barely is...for now. Kids will get bigger and then we'll be in a spot. Total weight of all the bikes is 155 lbs, if we take them all.

In terms of max trailer weight, I've also just back calculated how heavy of a trailer we can really tow. GCWR being 13,900 lbs, subtract the weight of our truck and payload, including the 65 lbs for the weight DHitch, estimated tongue weight from loaded trailer of 600 lbs, and no bikes or cooler, and we have 1,255. Adding the bikes takes us 1,410, so I'm not doing that. People and dog weight is 590 lbs.

13,900 - 5,682(truck weight) - 1255(people, WDH, and tongue weight) = 6,963 lbs.....this is the max trailer weight, when loaded, that we can tow, correct?

Sure, still plenty of trailer options, but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something here, and it may help other calculate this amount. Like others have said, if you are gentle, etc.,.........lots of great help on this forum. HIGHLY APPRECIATED!

I also just got the back bad spray-in liner from the dealer today(part of the purchase). Anyone know how much this weighs?

We have been looking over trailers, and found a nice one we like, but the tongue weight out of the gate is 725 lbs, which seems to be way too much. Others are in the neighborhood of 625 lbs or 650 lbs, but of course there are before the loading. If the initial trailer weight with the 725 lb tongue weight) is 6,000 lbs before loading, and we take up to 7,200 lbs loading it, we are looking at an estimated tongue weight of ~825 lbs from what I've read, and that just wouldn't work out. We'd be at 1,415 lbs or so, no extra anything. What have travel trailers have you guys been able to run comfortably? haha...or maybe there is a thread I haven't found yet.

Guess you can see why I'm eyeing the spare tire to trailer move, or running board removal...such a shame, this truck really is nice. Is there a hard to find sticky that mentions the 'weight against payload' options out there? That would really have been handy to have. I like the thought of the 33-gallon tank I have...but would have rather not had it at this point. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hmmm, really good to know, as I'm part of the 'Whoa, the 1500 Isn't Quite the Tow-vehicle I Thought It was Club'. Odd I'm even having to consider this.

I've been thinking of ways to increase the payload, and this one is a decent thought. Also, I've got a 2021 Longhorn with 1,418 lbs(door jam sticker) payload. How about removing the factory running boards? They are the chromed out, always there version(not automatic deploy). Does anyone know how much these weigh? I've looked semi-extensively, but no luck yet.

Currently have a travel trailer(17 foot box) with a tongue weight of 497 lbs empty, that weighs ~3,500 lbs empty. 4,997 lbs max loaded. It's a single axle, and we towed it maybe 8-10k miles with my 3.6L Durango Citadel. We have three younger kids and a 50 lb dog, and being in the west with all the mountains it was taxed at times. We were looking to get to a larger trailer in the 23-26ft box length, so nothing immense, but also throw our bikes/boats, and cooler in the back of the truck bed. Man...seems like that isn't really possible, well it barely is...for now. Kids will get bigger and then we'll be in a spot. Total weight of all the bikes is 155 lbs, if we take them all.

In terms of max trailer weight, I've also just back calculated how heavy of a trailer we can really tow. GCWR being 13,900 lbs, subtract the weight of our truck and payload, including the 65 lbs for the weight DHitch, estimated tongue weight from loaded trailer of 600 lbs, and no bikes or cooler, and we have 1,255. Adding the bikes takes us 1,410, so I'm not doing that. People and dog weight is 590 lbs.

13,900 - 5,682(truck weight) - 1255(people, WDH, and tongue weight) = 6,963 lbs.....this is the max trailer weight, when loaded, that we can tow, correct?

Sure, still plenty of trailer options, but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something here, and it may help other calculate this amount. Like others have said, if you are gentle, etc.,.........lots of great help on this forum. HIGHLY APPRECIATED!

I also just got the back bad spray-in liner from the dealer today(part of the purchase). Anyone know how much this weighs?

We have been looking over trailers, and found a nice one we like, but the tongue weight out of the gate is 725 lbs, which seems to be way too much. Others are in the neighborhood of 625 lbs or 650 lbs, but of course there are before the loading. If the initial trailer weight with the 725 lb tongue weight) is 6,000 lbs before loading, and we take up to 7,200 lbs loading it, we are looking at an estimated tongue weight of ~825 lbs from what I've read, and that just wouldn't work out. We'd be at 1,415 lbs or so, no extra anything. What have travel trailers have you guys been able to run comfortably? haha...or maybe there is a thread I haven't found yet.

Guess you can see why I'm eyeing the spare tire to trailer move, or running board removal...such a shame, this truck really is nice. Is there a hard to find sticky that mentions the 'weight against payload' options out there? That would really have been handy to have. I like the thought of the 33-gallon tank I have...but would have rather not had it at this point. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Spray in bedliner can add 40-75 lbs. depending on how thick they spray it

Figure 12% tongue weight minimum. Plus 75 lbs for WDH

33 gallon tank is a must. Yes it lowers payload, but your burning gas @ 9mpg so after 63 miles your’ve burned off your extra load

Check out campers here:

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score

23-26 foot should be doable, even with (most of) the cargo you mentioned, provided you look for lighter trailers. From what I've seen, Flagstaffs, Rockwood Lite Minis, and Grey Wolfs have trailers in that length range with sub 500lbs dry hitch weights.

When the little ones are no longer little, you can/should probably just trade up to a 2500. You'll probably need an even bigger trailer at that point anyway (30ft+).

Users who are viewing this thread