5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can y'all help me figure out my payload?

Redfour5

Reaction score
Yes where you place it matters of course. But the trailer is designed to transfer up to 15% of its total weight to the tongue. When you add stuff to the trailer and make it heavier, that proportion of weight transfer still holds true, more or less. Obviously if you put it more towards the front then the ratio moves more to the truck bed. In my trailer, there is no way I'd be putting 85% back on the tongue when using my pass through storage, it would definitely not even be 50%. Maybe if you put it in front of the propane tanks...
Speaking of propane tanks... I do not like 30 pounders. One, full they are around 18 lbs heavier than 20 pounders each. Two, you have to fill them, you cannot just switch em out at a gas station, almost any gas station that it seems like almost all have 20 pounders. Twenty pounders sit nice and flat under your tonneau on their rings, whereas you have to lay 30 pounders flat on their side. They roll, securing them is a pain, minor yes, but a pain non the less. AND, if two 20 pounders aren't going to get me through a trip, then I have no idea what I did... So, I'm likely going to change em out here soon. FOR ME, they are more trouble than they are worth. Thank you for letting me rant.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes where you place it matters of course. But the trailer is designed to transfer up to 15% of its total weight to the tongue. When you add stuff to the trailer and make it heavier, that proportion of weight transfer still holds true, more or less. Obviously if you put it more towards the front then the ratio moves more to the truck bed. In my trailer, there is no way I'd be putting 85% back on the tongue when using my pass through storage, it would definitely not even be 50%. Maybe if you put it in front of the propane tanks...
The 85/15 has been consistent on both my old 31’ and my current 33’

I’m sure the ratio changes with shorter trailers as the pass thru storage gets closer to the trailer axles.

Redfour5

Reaction score
The 85/15 has been consistent on both my old 31’ and my current 33’

I’m sure the ratio changes with shorter trailers as the pass thru storage gets closer to the trailer axles.
As I used to tell my Epidemiologist Employees... Don't make me do math.... It was nice posing questions, letting a bunch of highly intelligent young academics do the math... I can do it, I just hate it... And don't throw statistical significance at me, it really gets me going... BUT, unfortunately, you triggered me to think like I used to. I know there is a formula for figuring this kind of thing... Now I just have to go find someone to do the math. With them, it was similar behavior to my lab. Here, here's the bone, go get it.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The 85/15 ratio (or whatever a trailer has) only applies to the dry weight. Any loading that you put in/on is completely independent. There’s nothing magical in a trailer that will shift the balance of the cargo elsewhere. WDH’s change that a little, but that’s a separate topic.

The easiest way to do it (without getting into sum-of-moment calculations) is to figure out roughly where your load is, as a function of the hitch-to-rear-axle distance.

Let’s say, for the sake of simplicity, that you’ve got 20’ from hitch to axle. And you’ve got 100 lbs of cargo.
  • Put it on the hitch, the weight is all on the hitch
  • Put it 5’ from the hitch (1/4 of the way back), and you’ve got 75 lbs on the hitch with 25 lbs on the axle.
    1630174048766.png
  • Put it halfway between, the load is split evenly.
    1630174157994.png Put it 15’ from the hitch (3/4 of the way back), and you’ve got 25 lbs on the hitch with 75 lbs on the axle.
  • Put it on the axle, the weight is all on the axle.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 85/15 ratio (or whatever a trailer has) only applies to the dry weight. Any loading that you put in/on is completely independent. There’s nothing magical in a trailer that will shift the balance of the cargo elsewhere. WDH’s change that a little, but that’s a separate topic.

The easiest way to do it (without getting into sum-of-moment calculations) is to figure out roughly where your load is, as a function of the hitch-to-rear-axle distance.

Let’s say, for the sake of simplicity, that you’ve got 20’ from hitch to axle. And you’ve got 100 lbs of cargo.
  • Put it on the hitch, the weight is all on the hitch
  • Put it 5’ from the hitch (1/4 of the way back), and you’ve got 75 lbs on the hitch with 25 lbs on the axle.
    View attachment 104038
  • Put it halfway between, the load is split evenly.
    View attachment 104039 Put it 15’ from the hitch (3/4 of the way back), and you’ve got 25 lbs on the hitch with 75 lbs on the axle.
  • Put it on the axle, the weight is all on the axle.
How come it isn't a thing to make the storage compartments closer to the trailer axle?

alamgirian6329

Reaction score
I have 2020 Ecodiesel Longhorn, with every option checked on the order sheet EXCEPT Air suspension, Ramboxes and one other minor thing.

QUESTION: So with 5 Adults (avg weight 150lbs - 200 lbs ==> 750lbs - 1000 lbs in the cabin) my payload in the bed would only be 150 - 300 lbs ? (assuming payload on truck roughly 1100lbs)

So say if I wanted to take 4 guys to bring a Safe weighing 400 lbs, I would NOT be able to carry it in the bed, and would have to tow it behind ?

R.A.M

Reaction score
Not trying to be a smart ***, I actually just found this site and communityand love it! But my 2021 rebel says the payload on the sticker when I open the door. 1475. I will take a picture tomorrow. Is there something I'm missing?

5thGenLoco

Reaction score
I have 2020 Ecodiesel Longhorn, with every option checked on the order sheet EXCEPT Air suspension, Ramboxes and one other minor thing.

QUESTION: So with 5 Adults (avg weight 150lbs - 200 lbs ==> 750lbs - 1000 lbs in the cabin) my payload in the bed would only be 150 - 300 lbs ? (assuming payload on truck roughly 1100lbs)

So say if I wanted to take 4 guys to bring a Safe weighing 400 lbs, I would NOT be able to carry it in the bed, and would have to tow it behind ?
Technically, yes. If your payload is truly 1100 lbs, you don't have much in the way of capacity. That said, I wouldn't have much of an issue with the wt of the safe and 4 buds just to move it a reasonable distance.

5thGenLoco

Reaction score
Not trying to be a smart ***, I actually just found this site and communityand love it! But my 2021 rebel says the payload on the sticker when I open the door. 1475. I will take a picture tomorrow. Is there something I'm missing?
What do you think you're missing? 1475 sounds within the usual numbers.

R.A.M

Reaction score
What do you think you're missing? 1475 sounds within the usual numbers.
Not that I'm missing anything. On the vehicle, I meant that in terms of conversation lol. I have the pano roof and mostly everything aswell. Was just wondering why you guys arnt looking at the sticker? Are they not accurate?

Attachments

• 20210830_094629.jpg
    20210830_094629.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 22

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not that I'm missing anything. On the vehicle, I meant that in terms of conversation lol. I have the pano roof and mostly everything aswell. Was just wondering why you guys arnt looking at the sticker? Are they not accurate?
He does not have his truck yet. It is being built

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The sticker is the most accurate way to determine it. But the OP does not have a built truck. So he is trying to find out a close idea.

It is the never ending circle of life here...lol

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The sticker is the most accurate way to determine it. But the OP does not have a built truck. So he is trying to find out a close idea.

It is the never ending circle of life here...lol
Yeah, then watch, in 2 months my VIN will give me a payload but then my sticker will be different from that, and put me right at 1200, like the very first person that responded to this thread said it would be lol.

Seriously though, I'm still really glad I asked because it sent me down a knowledge rabbit hole and I've learned a ton!

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ahh yes you guys are right! Apologies
Actually, if you don't mind, can you post your build (like with all your options and stuff)? Mostly just curious, Rebels are usually at the lower end of the payload spectrum (though not as low as fully loaded Limited/Longhorns) because of the off-roading lean. That's a pretty impressive number, especially with the dual pane pano.

R.A.M

Reaction score
Actually, if you don't mind, can you post your build (like with all your options and stuff)? Mostly just curious, Rebels are usually at the lower end of the payload spectrum (though not as low as fully loaded Limited/Longhorns) because of the off-roading lean. That's a pretty impressive number, especially with the dual pane pano.
I don't mind at all

Attachments

• 20210830_122258.jpg
    20210830_122258.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 26

Users who are viewing this thread