5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can y'all help me figure out my payload?

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have nearly the same truck but with the short bed, and my payload is a disappointing 1294 lb. I'd imagine yours will be slightly less than that due to the longer bed.

Stupid pano roof is a huge killer for payload. Hit me hard on my wife's Expedition too. Both seem to be around a 150 -170 lb hit on the payload.
Well, if Zeronet is correct then mine will be just over 1200, which is disappointing but acceptable.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Limited does not have the panoramic sunroof (which is heavy) and has the smaller gas tank. Also, it's a 5'7" bed. Other than that, it's pretty similar

My payload is 1363lbs I believe. Yours will be much lower with added weight of bed, roof and gas. I'm guessing in the 900lb range. In other words: 4 average guys in the cab leaves no more payload for anything in the bed. I don't use my truck to haul stuff very often, but having such a low payload would be a dealbreaker for me.
You're freaking me out man, that's a super low estimate! If yours is 1363 and I use the numbers from my "add-ons" here (bed +50, pano +150, tank/gas +75), that would be put me down to 1,088. Which is pretty bad. Crazy how much these payload caps van very from one vehicle to the next!

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have nearly the same truck but with the short bed, and my payload is a disappointing 1294 lb. I'd imagine yours will be slightly less than that due to the longer bed.

Stupid pano roof is a huge killer for payload. Hit me hard on my wife's Expedition too. Both seem to be around a 150 -170 lb hit on the payload.
Yeah, that pano is so impractical but it just brings so much light in, I'm addicted lol

monkeypunch

Reaction score
You're freaking me out man, that's a super low estimate! If yours is 1363 and I use the numbers from my "add-ons" here (bed +50, pano +150, tank/gas +75), that would be put me down to 1,088. Which is pretty bad. Crazy how much these payload caps van very from one vehicle to the next!
I don't think it will be that low. I think the record low here is like 960, and they had the MFT and Ramboxes IIRC.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't think it will be that low. I think the record low here is like 960, and they had the MFT and Ramboxes IIRC.
Yeah, I was never really interested in the MFT and you can't get the Ramboxes with the 6'4'' bed on the 1500's right now (which is lucky or I would have really screwed over my payload with that, had no idea they added so much weight!)

I researched enough to know how much your actual towing capability was limited by your payload cap, but not enough to understand how much payload cap I would lose off the base 1790 Ram shows for the Limited Crew Cab 4x4 w/6'4'' bed just by adding options.

1200 vs 1300 probably doesn't seem like much but it could be the difference between a few different similar trailer models I'm looking at. Some of them have a (dry) hitch weight around 415lbs, and some are up at 530lbs. The latter would be a stretch if I'm at 1200 or less.

Last edited:

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is the closest one I could found in dealer inventory: 1C6SRFPT7MN831061

I don't have the tech group or Level 1, but everything else is the same (I also have the 3.92 gears but that doesn't change weight at all afaik). This one is listed at 1243, so I could theoretically be a smidge above that.

This one is also very similar: 1C6SRFPT8MN829853

It is listed as 1178. The difference here is that it does not have the TTG, but does have the BUG, so it seems that the TTG adds little to no weight, but the BUG adds a noticeable amount, so I'm glad I opted not to get that. I might add the slide out bed step later, which if that first build I listed above is a good indicator, I would probably be right at 1200 at that point. Which is exactly what the first first person responded with lol.

Thanks for all the replies everyone! Really excited to get my truck. Always knew I was not going to be towing anything big. My family is small, just me, my wife, and my 1 kid, and he will only be with us some of the time.

I'm looking in the 20-26 foot (exterior length) trailer range and know I need to keep on eye on the (loaded) hitch weight for the larger end of that range. I would really love to get an exact number as soon as possible because if I get lucky somehow and I'm up at like 1300, then the heavier (and fancier) 23-26 footers with 600-650lbs loaded hitch weights will be doable. But if I'm down around 1100, then those are probably out completely, and I'll be looking at the 20-23 footers with sub-500lbs loaded hitch weights.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm gonna guess somewhere around 1200 lbs. If you didn't get the Multi Function Tailgate or the Ramboxes or the eTorque - those weigh a lot. Check out my specs in my signature
Wanted to come back around to you, sir, now that I have a bit more info from the other posters (thanks again guys!)

Here are your specs from your sig:

2021 Ram 1500 Limited 4x4 Ivory White Tri-Coat Pearl, 5.7L V8 HEMI eTorque, 3.92 anti-spin, Pano Sunroof, MFT, 33 gal fuel tank, Protection Group, Technology Group, Trailer Tow Group, Body Color Bumper Group, Bed Utility Group, Limited Level 1 Equipment Group | Built: 03/09/21 | Max Payload: 1,190 lbs Max Towing: 11,090 lbs | 305/45R22 Toyo Open Country AT3

I will guess this is a 5'7'' bed, so I will take your 1190 and subtract 50lbs for the longer bed on mine, so we're at 1140.

I don't have the MFT (I've read that adds around 75lbs) or the Protection Group (I've read all the skid plates combined are around 120lbs), or the BUG (which I estimate adds around 60lbs). I also don't have Level 1 (which probably adds a few pounds from the extra speakers and the surround view camera system) or the Tech Group (probably negligible). I DO have the Night Edition, which has the Tonneau cover (that's around ~30lbs), and adds back the upgraded speaker system. I don't think it adds weight anywhere else, so we'll call the Night Edition a +50 to round up, so we're at 1090.

So that's 1090 + 75 + 120 + 60 = 1345. That sounds like a high estimate so not sure if I'm missing something, but dropping all that stuff from your vehicle, and adding the longer bed and the Night Edition is my exact build. Maybe the Night Edition is adding weight somewhere else? Sport hood?

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That link doesn't work for a truck that's not built yet.
I've been wondering how far into/what stage of the build process I need to wait till before it works. I remember seeing a (HUGE) list of the various steps it goes through by letter code.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've been wondering how far into/what stage of the build process I need to wait till before it works. I remember seeing a (HUGE) list of the various steps it goes through by letter code.
I'm betting it doesn't work until the window sticker has been issued, possibly later. It is my understanding that you won't see anything but a Build Sheet until your truck is done-done. And probably for good reason, in case they have to make a change or a deletion during the build.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm betting it doesn't work until the window sticker has been issued, possibly later. It is my understanding that you won't see anything but a Build Sheet until your truck is done-done. And probably for good reason, in case they have to make a change or a deletion during the build.
In my case, it started working a few days after my window sticker was available. I don’t remember exactly, but I’d say it was 2-4 days later.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So, pretty much right before it gets shipped to the dealer, maybe a week or two before I can pick it up?

Also, they better NOT start deleing shiz from build! lol

I was told my deposit was non-refundable but when I asked if I could get it back should they start dropping stuff from my build due to the shortages and they said it shouldn't be a problem. Probably should've gotten that in writing.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In my case, it started working a few days after my window sticker was available. I don’t remember exactly, but I’d say it was 2-4 days later.
Hey, what's your payload for the build in your sig good sir? Also, can you add trailer camera wiring aftermarket (that will work with the truck's infotainment system) or does that have to be done at the factory?

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My build is 1,380 lbs.

subtracting 130 lbs for eTorque and 6’4” bed would put you at 1,250 lbs, but no Level 1 package might get you back to 1,300 lbs

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My build is 1,380 lbs.

subtracting 130 lbs for eTorque and 6’4” bed would put you at 1,250 lbs, but no Level 1 package might get you back to 1,300 lbs
Well, again, I do have the Night edition, which has the speakers from Level 1 (which I expect adds a bit of weight) and the tonneau cover, so I'm probably breaking even there. 1250 would be a-okay with me though. It's the sub 1200 prospect that has me a little worried.

5thGenLoco

Reaction score
Well, again, I do have the Night edition, which has the speakers from Level 1 (which I expect adds a bit of weight) and the tonneau cover, so I'm probably breaking even there. 1250 would be a-okay with me though. It's the sub 1200 prospect that has me a little worried.
Ditching the tonneau will give back a few lbs. I wouldn't stress over it too much, the order is in, the payload will be what it is. Congrats on the incoming ride.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ditching the tonneau will give back a few lbs. I wouldn't stress over it too much, the order is in, the payload will be what it is. Congrats on the incoming ride.
I need more of this attitude in my life lol. I get there sometimes, but not as often as I know I should.

And thank you! Regardless of the payload drama I am SUPER excited. This will be the biggest, toughest, nicest, most useful and most powerful vehicle I've ever owned BY FAR. Eagerly awaiting its arrival 😁

Users who are viewing this thread