5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can y'all help me figure out my payload?

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is my first post here. I am new to trucks and trailering. I did a pretty extensive amount of research before my recent truck purchase…or so I thought.

I got a solid deal (especially considering the state of the market) on a factory order: a 2022 Ram 1500 Limited 4x4 V8 eTorque with the 6'4" bed and Night Edition package. I know 22 inch wheels are generally frowned upon but I just couldn't resist that blacked out look. I also have the following options:

33 Gallon Fuel Tank
Dual Pane Pano Sunroof
3.92 Rear Axle
Anti Spin Differential
Trailer Tow Group

So my question is, can you help me get a decent estimate of what my payload will be? I actually have a VIN number but it doesn't pull anything up on Ram's website (production hasn't even started yet on the 2022's so that's probably why). Hoping you guys can help me out. Thanks!

Last edited:

Dr. Cheeseburger

Reaction score
I'm gonna guess somewhere around 1200 lbs. If you didn't get the Multi Function Tailgate or the Ramboxes or the eTorque - those weigh a lot. Check out my specs in my signature

RockJock

Reaction score
How much over for how many miles would start to hurt the truck?

monkeypunch

Reaction score
With the truck in my signature, I am estimating 1150ish pounds of payload. 1200 for OP is probably pretty close.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm gonna guess somewhere around 1200 lbs. If you didn't get the Multi Function Tailgate or the Ramboxes or the eTorque - those weigh a lot. Check out my specs in my signature
I do have eTorque, forgot that adds some weight. No MFT or Ram boxes, no bed utility (not sure if that adds noticeable weight), no protection group (I know the skid plates add quite a bit). No tech group (doubt that affects it), no Level 1 Equipment (that might…?).

That's awfully low. I'm hoping for at least 1300 (saw some YouTube vids where the guys had similarly equipped trucks at between 1350 and 1375).

Just sucks that you can theoretically max tow over 11K but you'll never get anywhere near that because of payload. I didn't fully understand that when I ordered. Fortunately this is more my daily driver to occasionally haul some stuff, and for towing a smaller trailer (sub-25 feet) so I think I'll be fine in general. But it would be nice to have more clearance between that max payload and the trailer hitch weight (plus passengers and other cargo).

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
You can go through this lengthy thread and probably get some answers. Not sure if reading through 41 pages will be faster than waiting for the truck, though. ;)

monkeypunch

Reaction score
You can go through this lengthy thread and probably get some answers. Not sure if reading through 41 pages will be faster than waiting for the truck, though. ;)

Or go build on on the RAM site and use a VIN of a similarly equipped truck to get a payload number.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is my first post here. I am new to trucks and trailering. I did a pretty extensive amount of research before my recent truck purchase…or so I thought.

I got a solid deal (especially considering the state of the market) on a factory order: a 2022 Ram 1500 Limited 4x4 V8 eTorque with the 6'4" bed and Night Edition package. I know 22 inch wheels are generally frowned upon but I just couldn't resist that blacked out look. I also have the following options:

33 Gallon Fuel Tank
Dual Pane Pano Sunroof
3.92 Rear Axle
Anti Spin Differential
Trailer Tow Group

So my question is, can you help me get a decent estimate of what my payload will be? I actually have a VIN number but it doesn't pull anything up on Ram's website (production hasn't even started yet on the 2022's so that's probably why). Hoping you guys can help me out. Thanks!
Welcome to the forum. If you’d like to be added to the 2022 Order tracker, then please provide the last 6 digits of your VIN (or if you’re comfortable with it, PM me your full VIN), along with your order date. The tracker is updated regularly on this thread:

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score

33 Gallon Fuel Tank
Dual Pane Pano Sunroof
3.92 Rear Axle
Anti Spin Differential
Trailer Tow Group

Easiest way is to spec out a truck the same on Ram's inventory tracking website, then take the VIN of one of the matches and look it up on the towing and payload site.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Easiest way is to spec out a truck the same on Ram's inventory tracking website, then take the VIN of one of the matches and look it up on the towing and payload site.
Just did that. Found one really close: Had Level 1 Equipment and the BUG whereas I don't, doesn't have the TTG and the 3.92 Axel. Probably none of that stuff would noticeably affect the payload and that one is at 1178 😣

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I do have eTorque, forgot that adds some weight. No MFT or Ram boxes, no bed utility (not sure if that adds noticeable weight), no protection group (I know the skid plates add quite a bit). No tech group (doubt that affects it), no Level 1 Equipment (that might…?).

That's awfully low. I'm hoping for at least 1300 (saw some YouTube vids where the guys had similarly equipped trucks at between 1350 and 1375).

Just sucks that you can theoretically max tow over 11K but you'll never get anywhere near that because of payload. I didn't fully understand that when I ordered. Fortunately this is more my daily driver to occasionally haul some stuff, and for towing a smaller trailer (sub-25 feet) so I think I'll be fine in general. But it would be nice to have more clearance between that max payload and the trailer hitch weight (plus passengers and other cargo).

I'm at 1317# with the build in my signature.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Am I correct that although it's a V6 the EcoDiesel is actually slightly heavier than the Hemi (because diesel engines in general are just beefcake)?
Yes, the EcoDiesel is heavier. However the EcoDiesel trucks also get a 100lb increase in GVWR to mostly make up for that weight increase.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, the EcoDiesel is heavier. However the EcoDiesel trucks also get a 100lb increase in GVWR to mostly make up for that weight increase.
Okay, that makes sense. I've also been reading that the 6'4'' bed increases payload but also makes the truck heavier, pretty much evening out the payload hit vs a 5'7'' bed. Anyone know if that's accruate?

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Okay, that makes sense. I've also been reading that the 6'4'' bed increases payload but also makes the truck heavier, pretty much evening out the payload hit vs a 5'7'' bed. Anyone know if that's accruate?
6’4” bed does not increase GVWR. It does add 50lbs of weight. Thus it reduces payload by 50lbs.

monkeypunch

Reaction score
He doesnt have the pano sunroof either, which is like a 150+lb hit on payload. Honestly 1300 vs 1200 pounds I wouldn't even worry about it. I'm sure a bunch of people will disagree with that opinion, but the vast majority of truck owners have no idea what their payload is, and are over that number all the time.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
He doesnt have the pano sunroof either, which is like a 150+lb hit on payload. Honestly 1300 vs 1200 pounds I wouldn't even worry about it. I'm sure a bunch of people will disagree with that opinion, but the vast majority of truck owners have no idea what their payload is, and are over that number all the time.
Okay about the longer bed, I could just imagine the shorter bed being a pain in a handful of situations (transporting boards, moving furniture, etc.). Plus it looks better with the crew cab (more balanced). 50lbs isn't a big deal. Didn't realize the 33-gallon tank was gonna add almost 75lbs but I wouldn't change that for anything.

I thought the pano only added about 70lbs, not 150...?

And, do you know if the Level 1 Equipment Group adds any weight? Only part of it that seems like it would is the surround view camera system (add the H/K speakers, but I'm getting that with the Night Edition).

Zig10

Reaction score
I have nearly the same truck but with the short bed, and my payload is a disappointing 1294 lb. I'd imagine yours will be slightly less than that due to the longer bed.

Stupid pano roof is a huge killer for payload. Hit me hard on my wife's Expedition too. Both seem to be around a 150 -170 lb hit on the payload.

Reverse

Reaction score

33 Gallon Fuel Tank
Dual Pane Pano Sunroof
3.92 Rear Axle
Anti Spin Differential
Trailer Tow Group

My Limited does not have the panoramic sunroof (which is heavy) and has the smaller gas tank. Also, it's a 5'7" bed. Other than that, it's pretty similar

My payload is 1363lbs I believe. Yours will be much lower with added weight of bed, roof and gas. I'm guessing in the 900lb range. In other words: 4 average guys in the cab leaves no more payload for anything in the bed. I don't use my truck to haul stuff very often, but having such a low payload would be a dealbreaker for me.

monkeypunch

Reaction score
Okay about the longer bed, I could just imagine the shorter bed being a pain in a handful of situations (transporting boards, moving furniture, etc.). Plus it looks better with the crew cab (more balanced). 50lbs isn't a big deal. Didn't realize the 33-gallon tank was gonna add almost 75lbs but I wouldn't change that for anything.

I thought the pano only added about 70lbs, not 150...?

And, do you know if the Level 1 Equipment Group adds any weight? Only part of it that seems like it would is the surround view camera system (add the H/K speakers, but I'm getting that with the Night Edition).
Level 1 group I'm sure adds something, but its probably negligible. Just fill your 33 gallon tank half way. Boom, payload increase. I had seen 150lbs on the pano on this site, so I'm just parroting what I saw here. It's certainly possible that number is wrong. And you are right, the 6'4" bed and 33 gallon tank are 100% worth the payload hit.

Users who are viewing this thread