5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Black Badging - How to ?

blownout1500

Reaction score
Not all badging is available and I want it for the limited. It's not just the badging I want, but the chrome door trim and grille.
@justchandy23 on insta just did this to her limited. Based on the pic, it involved a wrap shop. 26996

RAMayor

Reaction score
May I ask how you removed the panels?
Heat w a hairdryer to loosen glue, then just pry it off w a trim removal tool or a flat head. You can try fishing line too, but there are posts in the badge that go into the main bezel so you won’t be able to get the line all the way through

vondarius20

Reaction score
Heat w a hairdryer to loosen glue, then just pry it off w a trim removal tool or a flat head. You can try fishing line too, but there are posts in the badge that go into the main bezel so you won’t be able to get the line all the way through
Awesome, thanks for the feedback & tips.

Rocketman

Reaction score
Just finished up changing out the doors. The only piece I have left to do is the hood. I have the whole louvered piece (sport hood) and just need to figure out the best way to remove the old one. I’m a bit nervous to take a pry tool to it and start popping clips. I think there’s a post from a member who’s done it.....without damage.

1f4e9e5787de843721e4dd4078d0c5ea.jpg

7b5e26de7c1904df2000a4a8077b5ae1.jpg

bfd272191471c71b233b92981cb49b93.jpg

6c6c05a4f1d741ec3a6a57adae990460.jpg

f3c37582a2e87297bf57f1e1f8b8b6a8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agjr85

Reaction score
Thank you all for the info and tips.
Now to come up with a master plan after all these great ideas.

agjr85

Reaction score
I have a black Longhorn. What do you guys think about doing blacked out grill RAM letters, Hood Emblems, and Tailgate.
Then have gold overlays on the text to bring the interior outwards. In my head it makes sense. :whistle:

dsn112

Reaction score
I have a black Longhorn. What do you guys think about doing blacked out grill RAM letters, Hood Emblems, and Tailgate.
Then have gold overlays on the text to bring the interior outwards. In my head it makes sense. :whistle:

Try it! I did red over black on mine
bab583f1d07790359f65ea46ecd22c65.jpg

4862a14b0dc19b22c1330ee3b4a2965b.jpg

Rocketman

Reaction score
Did the new blacked out one come with all new clips? Also, how was it taking off the old chrome one?
Yes, new one comes with all the clips, as well as new rubber washers for each post. Getting the old one off took a bit of work, but once you get it started, the clips (or posts I guess you could call them) pop right out. Quite a few of them broke off during removal, but I wasn’t too concerned as I wasn’t going to reuse it anyway.

jsampsell

Reaction score
I've got the same truck and am doing the same thing with the badges. I've ordered the front, sides, and rear already and after seeing what you've done, I'm going to have to order the hood and Laramie ones too. Do you mind sharing where you got the black Laramie emblem on the tailgate? I cannot locate it anywhere. I've put in the VIN for a Lamarie with the blackout appearance package into multiple Mopar part sites and can't seem to find this one.

Update: I found the part number. Thought I'd share it here for others that might be interested. 68282678AB

Just finished up changing out the doors. The only piece I have left to do is the hood. I have the whole louvered piece (sport hood) and just need to figure out the best way to remove the old one. I’m a bit nervous to take a pry tool to it and start popping clips. I think there’s a post from a member who’s done it.....without damage.

f3c37582a2e87297bf57f1e1f8b8b6a8.jpg

Last edited:

PrISM

Reaction score
Going to swap the tailgate RAM out for the black version and wanted to know if there's any trick to it. I know it's on with double-sided tape, but do the tabs require anything other than just pulling? Do you need to get at them from the inside of the tailgate at all? Thanks.

Edit: Apparently I've got sent a non-OEM part. The one I ordered off of Amazon didn't come with adhesive or the little while clips but after some searching it looks like it SHOULD have that. I don't know if it's worth trying to pull it off or just plasti dip it.

Last edited:

Sspearsau

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I received the matte R-A-M front badge letters today, and I plan to install tomorrow. I’m going to go the route of prying them off in hopes of not breaking any tabs, but if I do break a tab, does the broken piece just fall out the back of the grill?

Or if they break, will I need to snap off the same tab(s) on my new badges to be able to snap right in?

Thank you in advance!

dsn112

Reaction score
I didn't snap any prying them out. If you do, you will need to get the old clips out. DO NOT snap anything off your new pieces.

bgruhn76

Reaction score
Is it possible to replace the Ram's head on the tail gate with the RAM letters like the Rebel has? Or are the tab holes for the head and the A different?

RAMayor

Reaction score
Is it possible to replace the Ram's head on the tail gate with the RAM letters like the Rebel has? Or are the tab holes for the head and the A different?
You would have to swap the tailgates or fill where the RAM head is. the Ram head has holes and is indented. See below:

Rocketman

Reaction score
I've got the same truck and am doing the same thing with the badges. I've ordered the front, sides, and rear already and after seeing what you've done, I'm going to have to order the hood and Laramie ones too. Do you mind sharing where you got the black Laramie emblem on the tailgate? I cannot locate it anywhere. I've put in the VIN for a Lamarie with the blackout appearance package into multiple Mopar part sites and can't seem to find this one.

Update: I found the part number. Thought I'd share it here for others that might be interested. 68282678AB
Sorry about the delay in responding, but I'm glad you located the part number....and thanks for posting it up for the others who may need one. Make sure to post some photos of your completed work.

Sspearsau

Reaction score
I successfully removed the chrome R-A-M badge on the grill and replaced it with the matte black. I did not break any clips doing it, but I did snap the tip off of some of the pins on the emblems. Not entirely sure what purpose those pins serve, as four clips on each would seemingly be enough.

Next I’ll be doing the rear emblem. Did most of you remove the rear panel on the tailgate to compress the clips or just yank it from the exterior with some heat and fishing line assistance?

Thanks everyone! I’ll post pictures once the rear has been swapped out.

Users who are viewing this thread