5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Black Badging - How to ?

anthonysnell

Reaction score
Looking for opinions. What is the best quality method of taking all exterior chrome badges, trim and grill and making them black. I don't want the most cost effective, but want something done right, that looks good and will last and will hire a professional custom company to do it.

Thank you

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looking for opinions. What is the best quality method of taking all exterior chrome badges, trim and grill and making them black. I don't want the most cost effective, but want something done right, that looks good and will last and will hire a professional custom company to do it.

Thank you
Buy the black badges online. Then it will be done right

anthonysnell

Reaction score
Not all badging is available and I want it for the limited. It's not just the badging I want, but the chrome door trim and grille.

Cattail cruncher

Reaction score
I bought mine on e bay they look great, taking out the crome ones breaks the tabs, you literaly rip the hood badge ones out and pop in the black ones takes all of 5 min too much work to paint them in my book, the rear badge is not out yet so waiting for that.

cjgerson

Reaction score

Filet

Reaction score

Thank you
I'd like to know exactly the same thing. I got the chrome package (kinda regretting that except it comes with a nice step bar). But I think I want to matte black everything chrome. If you find out how to do this the right way let me know. And no, I won't plastidip it. I'm guessing I'll have to take it to a professional paint / body shop.

Ezshooter

JAFO
Reaction score
I know this thread is over a month old now.... was wondering what you ended up doing? I was thinking about an automotive vinyl for trim, and just taking off the chrome lettering. Not sure vinyl is a great solution though, particularly with angular items like a badge or lettering.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Here's an idea that will cost very little and its reversible. But a can of Plastidip and go to town on your badges. I've done this numerous times and the results are pretty good. Easy to apply and remove if you change your mind, or while you wait for the Mopar stuff to be in stock. Search youtube for instructions on how to apply. Real easy, and again, fully reversible.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On the outside below the Ram logo on the door? Yes. @Jared B posted some early pics of Limiteds in a holding lot that hadn't yet had them applied. From the pictures there are no guide holes in the sheet metal.

Cattail cruncher

Reaction score
I did all mine with new ones in black, took some time to get the parts off ebay or order from your dealer. I used 80lb power pro, then picked at the adhesive plus some acetone to finish they turned out great.

Tesurf71

Reaction score

Thank you

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180817-091609_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20180817-091609_eBay.jpg
    448 KB · Views: 826
  • Screenshot_20180817-091623_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20180817-091623_eBay.jpg
    590.9 KB · Views: 804

Tesurf71

Reaction score
I bought mine on e bay they look great, taking out the crome ones breaks the tabs, you literaly rip the hood badge ones out and pop in the black ones takes all of 5 min too much work to paint them in my book, the rear badge is not out yet so waiting for that.
How did you break the tabs

JXL118

Reaction score
On the outside below the Ram logo on the door? Yes. @Jared B posted some early pics of Limiteds in a holding lot that hadn't yet had them applied. From the pictures there are no guide holes in the sheet metal.

Yeah that was what I was talking about. Ive debadged my previous trucks with fishing line and elbow grease but wasnt sure if that bumper strip would have tabs.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I also know that the rear badging, except for the tailgate Ram's head, can be easily removed. Things like the trim badge (Limited, etc.) and 4x4 are just stuck on. I saw a Lonestar at the dealer earlier in the week where someone put it on about 8" too high. Looked really odd.

Users who are viewing this thread