5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone have their windshield replaced yet? Decision!

834k3r

Reaction score
I see that Gorilla Glass is starting to be offered as an option...wonder if it'll ever make it in to the secondary market. That would be an option worth considering (depending upon cost to the consumer).

piper618

Reaction score
Hey all I have decided to turn the damage into my insurance and the Insurance adjuster came thru with replacing upper, lower bumper, fog lamp plastic frame assy, RAM badge, & paint refinishing the hood, fender. We are in negotiation with replacing the headlight assy.
The insurance co will try and recover the cost and my deductible from the company the owed the truck which caused the damage. My only biggest issue with this whole thing is what is right is right, this company has due diligence to secure a load on a vehicle and any materials that could be on bumper or frame that could come off on the road.

bpwj76

Reaction score
Got a call from Safelite on Tuesday. The rep told me what others have said on here about the OEM glass being on back-order and he canceled my 7/2/21 appointment.

I got another call just now from Safelite. A different rep told me the OEM ram's head logo glass was available and she scheduled me for 7/16/21.

Something tells me that I'll get another call at the beginning of the install week to tell me it's canceled, becuase the glass is back-ordered.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’m waiting patiently on my OEM windshield to come in as well. I went with a highly rated glass replacement company in the Cobb county Atlanta Ga area instead of safelite because of reviews and this company is approved through my insurance as well.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I used Safelite on a past vehicle and had all kinds of issues from a botched install. Had to get windshield replaced when the truck was almost new and then rust started creeping up onto the roof about 6 months later had to had to have it fixed twice over the nine years I kept it. Will never ever use them again.

BowDown

Reaction score
Got a call from Safelite on Tuesday. The rep told me what others have said on here about the OEM glass being on back-order and he canceled my 7/2/21 appointment.

I got another call just now from Safelite. A different rep told me the OEM ram's head logo glass was available and she scheduled me for 7/16/21.

Something tells me that I'll get another call at the beginning of the install week to tell me it's canceled, becuase the glass is back-ordered.

Safelite did tell me that they expected factory glass in mid july, but who really knows

Azinne

Reaction score
Hello gents. Owner of a local glass shop and have been doing glass since 99’ here. If you can get your hands on Pilkington glass is just as good as OEM if not better and might be easier to source. Also I would NOT use safelite. They are a corporation with a usually decently ran back office with a blue collar work force of installers they treat like garbage. Hence why they can book jobs and make promises all day long but have a rash of terrible installs. Ask me how I know! Hope that helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MARTY

Reaction score
wind shield in my 2019 scheduled for replacement on 7/15/21 but I doubt it, but will see.Is Gorilla glass avail for a replacement.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hello gents. Owner of a local glass shop and have been doing glass since 99’ here. If you can get your hands on Pilkington glass is just as good as OEM if not better and might be easier to source. Also I would NOT use safelite. They are a corporation with a usually decently ran back office with a blue collar work force of installers they treat like garbage. Hence why they can book jobs and make promises all day long but have a rash of terrible installs. Ask me how I know! Hope that helps!

Good points about Safelite. We just replaced the windshield on my wife's car at a local shop. Talked to the owner and he LOVES Safelite...because they train their workforce really well and then treat 'em like ****, so they are happy to come work for him and make better money with lesser hours.

In my situation, I was caught out of town by 500+ miles and had a rock shatter my windshield. Normally I'm wary of large corporate repair companies and would stay local. However, my thinking was that in case I did have a bad install that Safelite is the safe bet for when I got home. Going local is certainly no guarantee of a good install, so this seemed to be the safer bet. That was my thinking...curious what yours would be given your knowledge if you found yourself in a similar situation.

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
Good points about Safelite. We just replaced the windshield on my wife's car at a local shop. Talked to the owner and he LOVES Safelite...because they train their workforce really well and then treat 'em like ****, so they are happy to come work for him and make better money with lesser hours.

In my situation, I was caught out of town by 500+ miles and had a rock shatter my windshield. Normally I'm wary of large corporate repair companies and would stay local. However, my thinking was that in case I did have a bad install that Safelite is the safe bet for when I got home. Going local is certainly no guarantee of a good install, so this seemed to be the safer bet. That was my thinking...curious what yours would be given your knowledge if you found yourself in a similar situation.
With my insurance it carries the same guarantee as long as the repair company is approved by the insurance company. So even though safelite is the primary one there are local ones who are approved as well I just had to ask about them.

Amerinamese

Reaction score
I had the windshield on my wife's car replaced a few months ago at a smaller local shop. They did the install with a lifetime guarantee on the installation for $200. Safelite wanted $389 for the glass alone. My Ram now has a huge crack in it. waiting for a quote from the local shop. Safelite couldn't give me a quote cause they're out of stock.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
With my insurance it carries the same guarantee as long as the repair company is approved by the insurance company. So even though safelite is the primary one there are local ones who are approved as well I just had to ask about them.
Good point... I'd never even considered that.

Amerinamese

Reaction score
Got a quote from Auto Glass Now for $245 +tax. So, about $260 all in to have my windshield replaced. Gonna try and schedule for next week.

bpwj76

Reaction score
Safelite is in the driveway right now replacing my windshield with OEM Ram's head logo glass. The technician seems to have done plenty of these before from what I watched him do before leaving him to his work. Fingers crossed, but I am optimistic it will be done right. I have used Safelite before on my F150 and it was done perfectly.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Safelite is in the driveway right now replacing my windshield with OEM Ram's head logo glass. The technician seems to have done plenty of these before from what I watched him do before leaving him to his work. Fingers crossed, but I am optimistic it will be done right. I have used Safelite before on my F150 and it was done perfectly.
How much are they charging you?

bpwj76

Reaction score
Ok he's done. Technician said he's been doing it for 30 years. He did a great job too.

I only had to pay my $50 glass deductible with State Farm.

Azinne

Reaction score

Sorry for the late reply. We have the summer sprint going on over here! Lol. At least for my shop. If one of our customers has an issue caused by our installers, we would pay the closest shop to where your at to fix the issue. Being in small business for so long I would drive home with duct tape on my glass before I used a large corporation. I definitely can understand your situation though and sometimes it just needs fixed! Got r done where you can!

joshua32

Reaction score
I ordered my windshield through Safelite via an insurance claim ($0 deductible) back on 6/14 and kept getting the runaround from Safelite. I've had several rescheduled appointments because the windshields are on national back order. On one occasion (when I was finally able to talk to an actual person) they told me that the order was never placed and had to place a new order, which would put me at the back of the line. My insurance recommended another glass company so I called them yesterday and they have placed a new order with the dealership with a delivery date of 10/10 so we will see (fingers crossed). They even stated they have replaced several '21 Ram 1500s in the last couple of months. Luckily my windshield is not cracked terrible but still impairs visibility some.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Darn after reading up on all these posts, I might have to start hunting for a OEM glass soon. Just had a rock crack my front windshield and I can't stand looking at it broken every day. Plus I'm about to take a long trip, so I don't want it shattering completely while I'm on the road.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you insist on OEM glass then yes, you better order soon. If, on the other hand you are open to aftermarket glass, then the wait is shorter, sometimes by a lot. I, and plenty of others had the aftermarket installed and have zero regrets/issues, etc.

Good luck with it either way you go!

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online