5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone have their windshield replaced yet? Decision!

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I had mine installed through Safelite, and actually drove the truck while the installer did the calibration. It's mostly just software doing its thing while you drive the truck at different speeds, so for someone with the right tools it should be no problem.

Surprising that the dealer delivered the truck to you with non-functional safety systems. Are they trying to fix it?

BTW, the calibration was a separate item on the Safelite bill. You might give them a call and see if they will do just the calibration for you? Ifound them good to work with, but I understand it can be a crapshoot.
I called them about doing it prior to the dealer lol.
They didn’t give me my truck back I went and got it from them as I feel they did something to mess up my safety systems. I took it to a dealer I have had better service with and they now can’t get it to calibrate either. Waiting to get a visit from a Chrysler engineer now supposedly. I am not sure what the first dealer did but it is absolutely worse off now then when I took it to them. They tried to say the windshield installer must have damaged the DASM when they installed the windshield.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I had no issues with Safelite replacing my windshield. Took two tries since the first one was not OEM and it would not calibrate, but once they put the OEM part in, everything was left just like factory and all safety systems worked w/o any issues, so I would have them do it again.

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
So has anyone had issues getting their DASM to recalibrate after having a windshield replaced with an OEM one? Specifically anyone with larger wheels and tires like 35’s?
They are trying to say that they think my larger diameter wheels and tires may be the cause for the calibration not working and I just think that doesn’t make much sense as it worked just fine for well over a year with these wheels and tires on.

vincentw56

Reaction score
So has anyone had issues getting their DASM to recalibrate after having a windshield replaced with an OEM one? Specifically anyone with larger wheels and tires like 35’s?
They are trying to say that they think my larger diameter wheels and tires may be the cause for the calibration not working and I just think that doesn’t make much sense as it worked just fine for well over a year with these wheels and tires on.
If it is the windshield company, that may very well be. You might need to take it to the dealer.

killerformula

Reaction score
Mine was damaged during shipping. Showed up brand new with a ding in the windshield. 2022 Laramie level 2 package.

Got a quote for about 600 for satellite to come out and do the job. Guy showed up took one look at it and said I'm not touching that thing. Too Manu sensors and calibration involved. Take it to the dealer.

Took it to the dealer. $1650 out the door. I'm supposed to get reimbursed for this but woe. Thats a pile of cash for front glass!!!!

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine was damaged during shipping. Showed up brand new with a ding in the windshield. 2022 Laramie level 2 package.

Got a quote for about 600 for satellite to come out and do the job. Guy showed up took one look at it and said I'm not touching that thing. Too Manu sensors and calibration involved. Take it to the dealer.

Took it to the dealer. $1650 out the door. I'm supposed to get reimbursed for this but woe. Thats a pile of cash for front glass!!!!
If it arrived with a damaged windshield why are you paying out of pocket at all?

Lake Ram

Reaction score
I had a rock hit my windshield and it caused a 10" crack. I replaced the windshield with a factory OEM two weeks ago and yesterday a rock hit the windshield and cracked my new one. I am not thrilled with the quality of the glass. Less than 200 miles after replacement and I am out almost $900. I will try my luck with the after market option. It is half the cost of OEM. Never had a cracked windshield before. Lots of bad chips, but two cracked windshields in two weeks in frustrating to say the least.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a rock hit my windshield and it caused a 10" crack. I replaced the windshield with a factory OEM two weeks ago and yesterday a rock hit the windshield and cracked my new one. I am not thrilled with the quality of the glass. Less than 200 miles after replacement and I am out almost $900. I will try my luck with the after market option. It is half the cost of OEM. Never had a cracked windshield before. Lots of bad chips, but two cracked windshields in two weeks in frustrating to say the least.
There is no doubt in my mind the 5th Gen windshield is much, much less durable than the previous generations.

I had one cracked windshield in 30 years of Ram ownership and now am on my 4th windshield with the 5th Gen model.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is no doubt in my mind the 5th Gen windshield is much, much less durable than the previous generations.

I had one cracked windshield in 30 years of Ram ownership and now am on my 4th windshield with the 5th Gen model.
That’s not good. I added a bug deflector to try helping me avoid rocks hitting my windshield.

Bluesurf

Reaction score
Last year I had a chip on the highway. I had it repaired for $90. at safelight. They wanted $1500. for a new one. No way! The chip is so tiny and If I replaced it, it would happen all over again. I have a hybrid sedan with a acoustic glass windshield. I must have 15 tiny chips. Because it is acoustic it has layers of vinyl in between which is put under heated pressure and becomes clear. The glass has never run with a crack. For 70K on a truck it should be acoustic glass.

BowDown

Reaction score

I've said the same thing, this glass just seems to not be able to handle impacts. I don't know if its specific to the Rams windshield or if all current vehicles suffer this same issue as Ram doesn't make the glass

Lake Ram

Reaction score

4th windshield on your 2021??

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Last year I had a chip on the highway. I had it repaired for $90. at safelight. They wanted $1500. for a new one. No way! The chip is so tiny and If I replaced it, it would happen all over again. I have a hybrid sedan with a acoustic glass windshield. I must have 15 tiny chips. Because it is acoustic it has layers of vinyl in between which is put under heated pressure and becomes clear. The glass has never run with a crack. For 70K on a truck it should be acoustic glass.
I've never heard of acoustic glass, but I can assure you that our RAM OEM windshields do indeed have a layer of plastic between layers of glass. I believe all modern windshields do, as a matter of safety.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've never heard of acoustic glass, but I can assure you that our RAM OEM windshields do indeed have a layer of plastic between layers of glass. I believe all modern windshields do, as a matter of safety.
That and the OEM RAM windshield IS acoustic glass.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've said the same thing, this glass just seems to not be able to handle impacts. I don't know if its specific to the Rams windshield or if all current vehicles suffer this same issue as Ram doesn't make the glass
Agree, it certainly feels that way.

Black Friday 2021 I was sitting out front with some friends who stopped by and they brought their two grandsons with them who is friends with my grandson. They are twin 6-year-old boys and my grandson is 7. They were throwing a small Nerf football back/forth and one of them went a little long over the top of the four trucks in the driveway and landed by the implement shed. I couldn't help but LMAO when I overheard my grandson tell the other two boys "We can't throw the ball near the trucks especially my grandpa's truck or it will break the windshield. We shouldn't hit Dad's Raptor either but if it hits the windshield it will be ok."

I have owned Rams for 30+ years and loved every one of them including my current 5th Gen. I just wish the windshield on this 5th Gen was built like 3/4" plywood like my 2018, 2015, 2010, 2004, 2001 and 1990. My 1995 and 1998 Dodge Ram 1500's suffered a number of cracked windshields but I was living up north where sand/gravel put down on the winter roads made a windshield replacement inevitable.

And no, it'll be a cold day before I ever think of getting a Ford even if the windshield is bulletproof.
4th windshield on your 2021??
No, we currently have a 2019 Lone Star, 2020 Laramie and my 2021 Big Horn in the family. I traded a 2020 Lone Star 2WD for this 2021 Big Horn I now have. We've replaced one on the 2020 Laramie, one on the 2019 Lone Star, one on the 2020 Lone Star 4WD before I traded it and now one on my 2021 Big Horn. And no, we don't even live on gravel road where we are at but do have dump trucks/cement trucks on the freeway that can't seem to find the business end of a hose before they drive off the job site.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That and the OEM RAM windshield IS acoustic glass.
So is Ford however my son hasn't replaced a windshield yet on his Raptor and he's taken a couple hits when I was riding with him...but not a ding, star or crack.

Bluesurf

Reaction score
It's easy to learn about acoustical glass,Google it.
"About 20% of the vehicles on the road today have acoustic glass. Ford introduced their SoundScreen windshields in 2007, and it is now a standard in many of their models. Other major car brands that commonly use acoustic windshields are Audi, Toyota, Jeep, Hyundai, Honda, Tata, and Maruti." Rolls, Bentleys, Aston Martin, and Range Rover were the first with it.

Users who are viewing this thread